Preview 2023 Round 12 – GWS Giants vs Richmond, Sunday, June 4, 1.10PM AEST, @Giants Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Adam Kingsley will be wanting to bottle the mindset that the Giants players took into that game, so that he can replicate that in future - starting next weekend against his former club. This game will be a fascinating match-up on multiple grounds. Firstly, it's AK's old club, so he'll know their normal gameplan inside out, as well as the majority of their players. Does that give him a leg up in devising a specific gameplan for them? Certainly, the gameplan that he took to GMHBA Stadium seemed fine-tuned for the location, and in carrying it out the team was able to get on top of the Cats. Second, the Tigers are (sort of) where we were 12 months ago, having just shed their coach. Of course, that was on the back of 3 premierships, so no tears for them. But it does put them at the start of a major adjustment. Often a new coach will get a bounce in performance - and the Tiges have been underperforming where they think they should be. The 10-point loss in round 11 against Port was hard fought, does that point to a "bounce" against the No 2 ranked team; if so, can they sustain it against the more lowly ranked Giants? Third, there is the fascination from fans (well, at least Giants' fans) on the "deathride" - barracking hard against Richmond because we hold their first round pick in the draft this year. Beat them, and not only do we edge higher on the ladder, we get a better draft pick off them for Jacob Hopper. Finally, there's the trade factor, that Tim Taranto - whom we let walk in order to simplify our inside midfielder situation while prioritising Tom Green - is now leading the Richmond midfield and probably leading their B&F count. He had a field day against Port with 33 disposals and 4 goals.

Both sides have a fair swathe of injuries, so part of the battle is how well those gaps can be patched. For Giants, what was once our strength - the backline - has lost half its normal complement (Taylor, Haynes, Cumming) and first choice replacements (Himmelberg, Aleer, Davis), but led by Jack Buckley and Connor Idun has performed creditably. Haynes and Himmelberg may be back for this game, and one presumes that either or both will be rushed back in if fit. The Tigers have played a forward mix of an ageing Reiwoldt and 206cm Samson Ryan (or ruck Toby Nankervis), and also named Ben Miller (normally a KPD) forward (but I have not watched Richmond games to see if he's actually played there). I fully expect that we'll look to return to a normal tall defensive setup. Ricmond also rely on their small forwards a lot, so Dusty and Shai Bolton, complemented by Cotchin and Mansell. I expect Connor Idun to take on Dusty, but Bolton will be a difficult matchup.

In the battle of the midfields, we would hope that the GWS midfield (missing Josh Kelly) at home would stand strong. Tom Green is still performing highly, and will be a case of #4 (Green) versus #5 (Taranto) in disposals per game (this season). Briggs at ruck has been good in his two games thus far, but Nankervis and Ryan will be a test at another level. Ward was strong for us in the contest against Cats, so hopefully he can replicate that against Tigers.

The forward line will be one to watch. Talls Hogan and Cadman took great marks, but couldn't finish, and both went goalless. The recalled Riccardi both took some great grabs and kicked straight, finishing with 3 goals. Toby was his usual self, but Binga brought the forward pressure and kicked three goals. If the talls can fire, then we'll also put on scoreboard pressure.

So, the task for us would be to replicate that pressure game, be a little cleaner in our disposal, and finish the job forward.

I can't see AK making too many changes to a winning side, apart from fitting in the returning usual-22 players from injury. Presuming both Haynes and Himmelberg are fit, it will be interesting to see who comes out. I would think Haynes in place of Callum Brown in the backline is likely. If Haynes were not to get up but HH did, then I'd see HH take that third-tall interceptor role. If both are fit, then what does AK do? He's said all along that he wants to play HH as a forward, but threw him into the game against Saints in the backline, but was concussed early. The two options would be to bring him in as a KPD in place of Keeffe, thus keeping the forward line the same; or keep Keeffe in the backline, and replace one of the KPFs. Riccardi was the last in, but played well and doesn't deserve to lose his spot. Conversely, we've been calling for Cadman to go back to VFL for some consolidation and to fix his goalkicking yips; HH coming back in with Riccardi performing is the perfect rationale.

My prediction:
  • Cadman out for Himmelberg
  • Brown out for Haynes
Hopefully, the weather is fine and with a glow from the Cats' win and Toby's 200th a big crowd turns out. However, I think this timeslot conflicts with a lot of Sydney junior AFL comps, so it's probably the worst timeslot of the weekend to garner a crowd.

What are your thoughts for this game?

Last edited:
I think the writing is on the wall for Peatling. His def pressure has been good but there are still some glaring holes

I have HH in for peatling, Haynes in for Keefe

swap fahey and brown so brown is the sub

I think the writing is on the wall for Peatling. His def pressure has been good but there are still some glaring holes

I have HH in for peatling, Haynes in for Keefe

swap fahey and brown so brown is the sub
Peatling is the likely out for me too.

I suspect Keefe plays and Brown makes may, but possibly becomes the sub.

Adam Kingsley will be wanting to bottle the mindset that the Giants players took into that game, so that he can replicate that in future - starting next weekend against his former club. This game will be a fascinating match-up on multiple grounds. Firstly, it's AK's old club, so he'll know their normal gameplan inside out, as well as the majority of their players. Does that give him a leg up in devising a specific gameplan for them? Certainly, the gameplan that he took to GMHBA Stadium seemed fine-tuned for the location, and in carrying it out the team was able to get on top of the Cats. Second, the Tigers are (sort of) where we were 12 months ago, having just shed their coach. Of course, that was on the back of 3 premierships, so no tears for them. But it does put them at the start of a major adjustment. Often a new coach will get a bounce in performance - and the Tiges have been underperforming where they think they should be. The 10-point loss in round 11 against Port was hard fought, does that point to a "bounce" against the No 2 ranked team; if so, can they sustain it against the more lowly ranked Giants? Third, there is the fascination from fans (well, at least Giants' fans) on the "deathride" - barracking hard against Richmond because we hold their first round pick in the draft this year. Beat them, and not only do we edge higher on the ladder, we get a better draft pick off them for Jacob Hopper. Finally, there's the trade factor, that Tim Taranto - whom we let walk in order to simplify our inside midfielder situation while prioritising Tom Green - is now leading the Richmond midfield and probably leading their B&F count. He had a field day against Port with 33 disposals and 4 goals.

Both sides have a fair swathe of injuries, so part of the battle is how well those gaps can be patched. For Giants, what was once our strength - the backline - has lost half its normal complement (Taylor, Haynes, Cumming) and first choice replacements (Himmelberg, Aleer, Davis), but led by Jack Buckley and Connor Idun has performed creditably. Haynes and Himmelberg may be back for this game, and one presumes that either or both will be rushed back in if fit. The Tigers have played a forward mix of an ageing Reiwoldt and 206cm Samson Ryan (or ruck Toby Nankervis), and also named Ben Miller (normally a KPD) forward (but I have not watched Richmond games to see if he's actually played there). I fully expect that we'll look to return to a normal tall defensive setup. Ricmond also rely on their small forwards a lot, so Dusty and Shai Bolton, complemented by Cotchin and Mansell. I expect Connor Idun to take on Dusty, but Bolton will be a difficult matchup.

In the battle of the midfields, we would hope that the GWS midfield (missing Josh Kelly) at home would stand strong. Tom Green is still performing highly, and will be a case of #4 (Green) versus #5 (Taranto) in disposals per game (this season). Briggs at ruck has been good in his two games thus far, but Nankervis and Ryan will be a test at another level. Ward was strong for us in the contest against Cats, so hopefully he can replicate that against Tigers.

The forward line will be one to watch. Talls Hogan and Cadman took great marks, but couldn't finish, and both went goalless. The recalled Riccardi both took some great grabs and kicked straight, finishing with 3 goals. Toby was his usual self, but Binga brought the forward pressure and kicked three goals. If the talls can fire, then we'll also put on scoreboard pressure.

So, the task for us would be to replicate that pressure game, be a little cleaner in our disposal, and finish the job forward.

I can't see AK making too many changes to a winning side, apart from fitting in the returning usual-22 players from injury. Presuming both Haynes and Himmelberg are fit, it will be interesting to see who comes out. I would think Haynes in place of Callum Brown in the backline is likely. If Haynes were not to get up but HH did, then I'd see HH take that third-tall interceptor role. If both are fit, then what does AK do? He's said all along that he wants to play HH as a forward, but threw him into the game against Saints in the backline, but was concussed early. The two options would be to bring him in as a KPD in place of Keeffe, thus keeping the forward line the same; or keep Keeffe in the backline, and replace one of the KPFs. Riccardi was the last in, but played well and doesn't deserve to lose his spot. Conversely, we've been calling for Cadman to go back to VFL for some consolidation and to fix his goalkicking yips; HH coming back in with Riccardi performing is the perfect rationale.

My prediction:
  • Brown out for Haynes
Hopefully, the weather is fine and with a glow from the Cats' win and Toby's 200th a big crowd turns out. However, I think this timeslot conflicts with a lot of Sydney junior AFL comps, so it's probably the worst timeslot of the weekend to garner a crowd.

I agree with your changes. I think they will be what the coach does. Win this, we become a finals possibility. Must beat all the teams likely to finish bottom 6 to make the semis

I have mentioned in the past that I think Peatling will have a spotlight on him because his skills are average, but I would be at least a little surprised if we swapped him out for a tall. Richmond is noted for creating rebound attack from their small/medium defenders in Nathan Broad, Dan Rioli and Liam Baker. which we'll need to quell through our defensive application in our F50, which would mainly come from the medium/small forwards. Binga and Bedford in particular were the guys who brought the heat against the Cats; Peatling not so much, but an extra tall there in HH would not help that problem IMHO. Still, we did select the extra tall against Saints, so perhaps those seeing that as the change may be correct.

I'd keep Brown over Keeffe purely for the match-ups. No real monsters in the Richmond forward line but a fair bit of speed and agility. Expect Buckley to go to Riewoldt and Idun to go to Martin. Might be time for Cadman to have a spell in the twos to get some confidence back in his set shots and win more of the footy. Riccardi's stellar performance makes that an easier decision for mine.

In: Haynes, Himmelberg
Out: Keeffe, Cadman

This is definitely a game we can win, especially after our heroics against Geelong in the Cattery last week. We will also be going in as $1.72 favourites (Richmond is $2.13). The (possible) return of Haynes and Himmelberg will strengthen us and Kingsley’s familiarity with Richmond can only help us.

Haynes is out this weekend, unfortunately.

Himmelberg is a likely starter.

Wouldn't be surprised if we played Briggs and Flynn this weekend.

Changes: Himmelberg for Cadman

A good omen for us is that we have a current streak of 4 consecutive victories against Richmond at Giants Stadium. Note however the last time we played them at home was 2020, so it has been awhile for hosting Richmond.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fahey for Peatling (much as i love JP) - give him a proper debut.

Himmleberg for Keefe (although this would be game 100 for Keefe & I like milestones being celebrated)

Maybe it’s Himmleberg for Cadman - because I think Cadman needs to go back and get some confidence in front of the sticks. He’s just not getting enough of the ball and when he does he’s shanking it.

This would be Keefe's 100
Himmelberg to help out in the back line for me. Brown probably out.
In happy to keep Cadman in. He got two quality shots on goal and fluffed it. Back him in to rectify it and don't hurt his confidence. He's not having a huge impact yet but he is showing flashes in every game.
I hope we flog the Tigers but we haven't potted a team all year.

My prediction:
  • Brown out for Haynes

Nice write up, some inputs on the Tigers:

Miller has been playing a bit of everywhere, covering the formerly injured Nankervis/Soldo in the ruck, covering Tarrant/Gibcus down back, and at times dropping forward for Lynch. In general though he has been a ruck/defender.

Bolton playing way more on-ball lately. He drifts into the forward line occasionally but he's predominantly a midfielder. Dusty playing more forward than mid.

The big question for me is why is there such a variation in our pressure week to week? Last week was elite but a few weeks ago we were sub afl standard.

The pressure is the key to making the game plan work

100% this

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Kingsley stating his time with Richmond gives us an advantage, and stating that the team will get “quite friendly” with Taranto :)

Everything this guy seems to say and do is gold.
Won on the coaching merry-go-round.

Interesting word on Taranto and not on Hopper.

Wonder if that could mean Hopper pushed, Taranto wanted to go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back