Preview 2023 Round 12 – GWS Giants vs Richmond, Sunday, June 4, 1.10PM AEST, @Giants Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Flynn was listed in the 'Emergencies' when the team was initially announced last week - (Four In for Toby’s Milestone Match).

This week's article in contrast says, "..."has been added to the squad."
(Academy Products Added to Squad)

The difference in language and there being no Emergencies listed this week just doesn't sit right with me (probably looking too much into it - former journo here.....)

Anyways, I do see where you're coming from.

If Kingsley hasn't played 2 rucks this year, why has Flynn been added to the squad?

Something just doesn't add up.

Considering the ducks and drakes that's often played around selection, is Briggs injured and possibly a late out?

Maybe Kingsley will take in 2 rucks after all??

Anyone else with an idea as to why Flynn has been named, contrary to the one-ruck policy?
They usually have a second ruck in the emergencies in case the first ruck is a late out

Flynn was listed in the 'Emergencies' when the team was initially announced last week - (Four In for Toby’s Milestone Match).

This week's article in contrast says, "..."has been added to the squad."
(Academy Products Added to Squad)

The difference in language and there being no Emergencies listed this week just doesn't sit right with me (probably looking too much into it - former journo here.....)

Anyways, I do see where you're coming from.
Early in the week they have 8 reserves which is later (usually the day before) is updated to 4 reserves and 4 emergency

Fox’s key issues for the upcoming round - guess will show if we can be in the mix for the last couple of final positions.

Giants’ burning question: Are they going better than we’ve given them credit for?

All of their losses bar one this season have been by less than four goals. Their win over Geelong in Geelong was no mean feat and drew attention to just how well they’re going despite what their win-loss record suggests. “They’re coached really well,” Jonathan Brown told On The Couch this week. “Their strengths down the forward line are their smaller blokes. Toby Greene is a generational talent, Brent Daniels is there, Bedford has been really good … some really good coaching. Not only the competitiveness and the consistent effort every week.” Nathan Buckley added the fact the side could win on the road against Geelong despite its win-loss record said a bit about the Giants’ belief. If that’s the case, they arguably should be expected to defeat Richmond this weekend.

Tigers’ burning question: What reception will Tim Taranto get?

Every first meeting against your old side is daunting, and that comes around this week for Tim Taranto. The Richmond recruit, who has been in sparkling form, will become the latest former Giants player to return to his old stomping ground in Sydney’s west. Giants Coach Adam Kingsley, who he himself will be taking on his former side, has plenty of intimate knowledge of many players and staff and has flagged Taranto will be a player the Giants will try and contain after his best on ground performance against Port Adelaide last week. The attention and sideshow off the field and away from the immediate action will be of interest after Taranto’s decision to depart after a 114-game career at GWS. How will the crowd reception be and how much will his former teammates get stuck into him? And for Richmond’s sake, how will Tim handle the attention and focus on building again after one of his best performances of his career?

Early in the week they have 8 reserves which is later (usually the day before) is updated to 4 reserves and 4 emergency
Minor nitpick: for Sunday games, an extended bench is named (the eight players) on Thursday with all other teams and then it's dropped to four and four on Friday arvo (not the day before). So we'll know the bench vs emergency breakdown today.

IIRC for Monday games they name the team with an extended bench on Friday arvo and drop four to emergencies on Saturday arvo, but I don't get to see many of the teams I'm interested in play on Monday so I'm less certain about that.

OK, those who said HH for Peatling ... win the bet!

Star forward Harry Himmelberg has been confirmed to return against Richmond at GIANTS Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

The 27-year-old has shown his star qualities this season, taking some spectacular marks and kicking 10 goals over the opening 10 rounds.

He was ruled out of the match against St Kilda in round 10 at half-time with concussion, missing last week’s win over Geelong. After progressing through the 12-day concussion protocols, the former Academy junior has been cleared to make his return on Sunday.

Himmelberg returns for small forward James Peatling, who has been omitted from the team.

Team

FB: Callum Brown, Lachlan Keeffe, Connor Idun

HB: Lachie Whitfield, Jack Buckley, Lachie Ash

C: Finn Callaghan, Harry Perryman, Ryan Angwin

HF: Brent Daniels, Harry Himmelberg, Toby Greene

FF: Jake Riccardi, Jesse Hogan, Toby Bedford

RR: Kieren Briggs, Tom Green, Stephen Coniglio

Interchange: Callan Ward, Aaron Cadman, Xavier O’Halloran, Daniel Lloyd

Emergencies: James Peatling, Josh Fahey, Matt Flynn, Harry Rowston

Last edited:
So Cadman plays! I thought it would be Cadman who would be omitted. Glad to be wrong as given he was the number 1 draft pick, he has a lot of potential and will be a future great forward.

HH to play down back allowing Pez to move back into the midfield. Should help slot with our transition game from the back half.

Will be particularly interesting to see that transition game against the tigers. Their forward 50 doesn’t apply much defensive so big opportunity to cut them up and get the tsunami going.

Geelong’s win against the rabid dogs tonight, makes our win against Geelong at the Cattery last weekend look more impressive.
It's also quite annoying because we could've been level on points with Geelong after a Giants win today and next week they have a bye and we have North

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back