Preview 2023 Round 12 – GWS Giants vs Richmond, Sunday, June 4, 1.10PM AEST, @Giants Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The big question for me is why is there such a variation in our pressure week to week? Last week was elite but a few weeks ago we were sub afl standard.

The pressure is the key to making the game plan work
I think the Collingwood game was an aberration.
Partly us, partly them. They were very good at getting it on the outside and moving it fast and clean. Hard to apply pressure if that is happening.
We were also a bit down in the contest as well.

No changes expected other than the inclusion of Himmelberg

gws-giants.jpg

The Giants will regain key forward Harry Himmelberg from concussion for Sunday's clash with the Tigers. However, defender Nick Haynes won't pass through the AFL's 12-day protocols after developing an infection in a cut that didn't allow him to train the requisite number of days. He should return next week. With the club's VFL side enjoying the bye last week, and with the senior team producing an upset win over the Cats, don't expect too many changes this weekend. - Riley Beveridge

OK, so looks like HH back in will likely be the only change. Who he replaces is the point of interest.

Keeffe or Brown if he's used as a KPD; Cadman or Peatling if he's used as a KPF.

Or will there be a curveball thrown in?

OK, so looks like HH back in will likely be the only change. Who he replaces is the point of interest.

Keeffe or Brown if he's used as a KPD; Cadman or Peatling if he's used as a KPF.

Or will there be a curveball thrown in?
I don’t see a need for Keefe with the tigers forward line

A win this week will do wonders. Still think we’ve underachieved so far given the list. Richmond are reeling and have basically given up. We should get the win this week

Sunday match, so HH is in, but unclear who's out. HH named forward, and definitely not Brown & Keeffe who are named on field. Peatling or Cadman still in jeopardy.

The GIANTS have added four players to their 26-man squad as they get set to take on Richmond at GIANTS Stadium on Sunday.

All four inclusions hail from the GIANTS Academy with Harry Himmelberg, Josh Fahey, Matt Flynn and Harry Rowston all a chance to take on the Tigers.

Harry Himmelberg has been named in the squad as he nears a return from a concussion suffered in round 10 against St Kilda.

Squad

FB: Callum Brown, Lachlan Keeffe, Connor Idun

HB: Lachie Whitfield, Jack Buckley, Lachie Ash

C: Finn Callaghan, Harry Perryman, Ryan Angwin

HF: Brent Daniels, Harry Himmelberg, Toby Greene

FF: Jake Riccardi, Jesse Hogan, Toby Bedford

RR: Kieren Briggs, Tom Green, Stephen Coniglio

Interchange (from): Callan Ward, James Peatling, Aaron Cadman, Xavier O’Halloran, Josh Fahey, Daniel Lloyd, Matt Flynn, Harry Rowston

In: Harry Himmelberg, Josh Fahey, Matt Flynn, Harry Rowston

Out: -

Will Cadman be given a spell in the VFL if Himmelberg is fit? Rowston and Fleeton have all been dropped, so Kingsley has shown that he can drop newbies if they don’t perform as expected.

Given the team lineup, my guess would be:
Interchange - Callan Ward, Xavier O’Halloran, Matt Flynn, Harry Rowston

Sub - Josh Fahey

Sunday match, so HH is in, but unclear who's out. HH named forward, and definitely not Brown & Keeffe who are named on field. Peatling or Cadman still in jeopardy.

The GIANTS have added four players to their 26-man squad as they get set to take on Richmond at GIANTS Stadium on Sunday.

All four inclusions hail from the GIANTS Academy with Harry Himmelberg, Josh Fahey, Matt Flynn and Harry Rowston all a chance to take on the Tigers.

Harry Himmelberg has been named in the squad as he nears a return from a concussion suffered in round 10 against St Kilda.

Squad

FB: Callum Brown, Lachlan Keeffe, Connor Idun

HB: Lachie Whitfield, Jack Buckley, Lachie Ash

C: Finn Callaghan, Harry Perryman, Ryan Angwin

HF: Brent Daniels, Harry Himmelberg, Toby Greene

FF: Jake Riccardi, Jesse Hogan, Toby Bedford

RR: Kieren Briggs, Tom Green, Stephen Coniglio

Interchange (from): Callan Ward, James Peatling, Aaron Cadman, Xavier O’Halloran, Josh Fahey, Daniel Lloyd, Matt Flynn, Harry Rowston

In: Harry Himmelberg, Josh Fahey, Matt Flynn, Harry Rowston

Out: -
The VFL plays at 9.30.
I hope to see lots of possessions, goals for Cadman and Flynn.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given the team lineup, my guess would be:
Interchange - Callan Ward, Xavier O’Halloran, Matt Flynn, Harry Rowston

Sub - Josh Fahey
I suspect at least one of Lloyd or Peatling plays.

IMO, one should make way for either Fahey or Rowsten.

I wouldnt go with 2 rucks myself

Weather may dictate who we play. Rain forecasted for Sun (up to 4 mm).
If that’s the case likely go for smaller and pressure players. Cadman likely out.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Weather may dictate who we play. Rain forecasted for Sun (up to 4 mm).
If that’s the case likely go for smaller and pressure players. Cadman likely out.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
That’s also not good news for the crowds at this match too? Giants trying to increase the attendance and have a promo for the Richmond match where a mate can go free with a paying attendee

If Kingsley hasn't played 2 rucks this year, why has Flynn been added to the squad?

Something just doesn't add up.

Considering the ducks and drakes that's often played around selection, is Briggs injured and possibly a late out?

Maybe Kingsley will take in 2 rucks after all??

Anyone else with an idea as to why Flynn has been named, contrary to the one-ruck policy?

If Kingsley hasn't played 2 rucks this year, why has Flynn been added to the squad?
Because almost every club names a ruck in their emergencies just in case the main ruck pulls a hamstring or similar during the warm up or in the lead up to the game, and for a Sunday game the emergencies are part of the squad.

Something just doesn't add up.

Considering the ducks and drakes that's often played around selection, is Briggs injured and possibly a late out?

Maybe Kingsley will take in 2 rucks after all??

Anyone else with an idea as to why Flynn has been named, contrary to the one-ruck policy?
Could be anything ... but it's standard practice when a team only play 1 ruckman to include another ruckman in the emergency list. You're not meant to pull any late changes from outside of the named team + emergencies (might even be a fine?).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back