Autopsy 2023 Round 4 – Essendon Bombers v GWS Giants, Sunday, April 9, 2.10PM AEST, @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Reflections on today

*Haynes is far from cooked, back to rebounding best
*Ward still has game and has class and composure
*Green, Kelly and Cogs playing well
*Hogan trying his heart out, Greene a bit down
*Callaghan shows flashes of real class but just needs games, he will be a jet
*Connor Stone needs games in reggies, he’s not quite ready, Hamilton a better option with running power.
*Our forward set up is not working, Jennings and co needs to get their s**t together
*Not thrilled with our output at ruck, maybe time to try Briggs?
*Jake Riccardi is an absolute disaster. No more him please, or pack your bags with him.
Would Briggs and Flynn together be feasible? Play them alternatively off the bench to keep up mobility and also as a forward line of Hogan, Himmelberg and Cadman would tall enough?

Pretty disappointing game and with how some of the players are paid the club will be severely regretting those decisions and also the players development is very lacking
The players need a rocket and the coach should be having some hard discussions with players to see if they have anymore to give or they are at the limit

Idun and Cumming need to work on their game as they are too 1 dimensional
Hogan and Greene need to show the younger players how to work defensively
Not sure what Cogs does in the midfield but he has to be the most overpaid player in the comp, another who needs to work on the defensive side of the game
Mids really need to work on thew contested side of the game as they have lost the last 3 although not sure any others on the list can help in that area it is up to those leaders on the field to improve that part of the game
Nothing too add on Riccardi but he will be playing reserves for hopefully the rest of the season
Stone into reserves he is underdone and needs to get time on the field before coming back into the team
I dont think either of HH or Riccardi want to play pt ruck but are forced into it and they should try 2 rucks for a few weeks to see how it works and 1 can be subbed off late in the game if that is the best option

No injuries and a 7 day break with the coaches showing some tough love to some players and a change in attitude should hopefully produce a better effort next sunday

Pretty disappointing game and with how some of the players are paid the club will be severely regretting those decisions and also the players development is very lacking
The players need a rocket and the coach should be having some hard discussions with players to see if they have anymore to give or they are at the limit

Nothing too add on Riccardi but he will be playing reserves for hopefully the rest of the season
Stone into reserves he is underdone and needs to get time on the field before coming back into the team
No injuries and a 7 day break with the coaches showing some tough love to some players and a change in attitude should hopefully produce a better effort next sunday
Will be interesting to see how Kingsley reacts, and who he drops, as he was very animated at three quarter time. I think Riccardi will be certainly dropped- his contract is expiring this year, and his performances so far has been less than impressive.

Also, lucky we are playing the wooden spoon favourites, Hawthorn, next week.

Before the season started, and with our opponents for the first 5 rounds, only Carlton looked insurmountable. If we can’t beat Hawthorn next week our season is pretty much finished.

Would Briggs and Flynn together be feasible?
When we didn’t pick up Lobb 2 seasons ago one of Flynn and Briggs should’ve been training in the off season as CHF

Look how Draper and Phillips worked us over today and when either were resting in the forwards they created another headache for our ever trying backline

Flynn/Briggs have a different size to them compared to HH, Hogan and Riccardi and always look lively when down there

Other posters have summed up the game very well.

Non-negotiable changes:
Out: Riccardi, Ash
In: Briggs

Sick of the part-time rucks.

Other thoughts ATM:
HH down back for Ash,
Cadman for Riccardi
HH does seem to do his best work down back, though 3 goals today was good; but is a backline of HH, Idun, Haynes, Buckley and Taylor too big?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would play Haynes fwd and Harry back. Reasons being Harry is one of our best field kicks on top of his intercept marking when down back, our kicking out of defence today was terrible. Our fwd line is slow and gets rebounded out too easily. Haynes can play a defensive fwd role, Redman would of been a perfect match up today, nullify the rebound and maybe get a goal or 2. He can also force a contest with his spoiling skills and keep it alive.

Riccardi is a good VFL footballer who can't make the step up, Briggs rotating with Flynn has to be a better option.

Ash is starting to become an Andy McGrath, athletically has all the tools but the lack of football nous is very evident. Not sure I'd be matching offers to retain him, if he wants to stay on our terms, all good, if not Hamilton can take his spot.

Will be interesting to see how Kingsley reacts, and who he drops, as he was very animated at three quarter time. I think Riccardi will be certainly dropped- his contract is expiring this year, and his performances so far has been less than impressive.
I think play him as a defender on the reserves, hopefully somebody makes us a trade offer but they probably just sign as a DFA.
I don't think I have seen us so bad in contested possessions as this game, probably the Swans thrashing last year at SCG.

I think play him as a defender on the reserves, hopefully somebody makes us a trade offer but they probably just sign as a DFA.
I don't think I have seen us so bad in contested possessions as this game, probably the Swans thrashing last year at SCG.
Would he be worth a third round pick?

I would play Haynes fwd and Harry back. Reasons being Harry is one of our best field kicks on top of his intercept marking when down back, our kicking out of defence today was terrible. Our fwd line is slow and gets rebounded out too easily. Haynes can play a defensive fwd role, Redman would of been a perfect match up today, nullify the rebound and maybe get a goal or 2. He can also force a contest with his spoiling skills and keep it alive.

Riccardi is a good VFL footballer who can't make the step up, Briggs rotating with Flynn has to be a better option.

Ash is starting to become an Andy McGrath, athletically has all the tools but the lack of football nous is very evident. Not sure I'd be matching offers to retain him, if he wants to stay on our terms, all good, if not Hamilton can take his spot.
We've seen Haynes forward and it's not good. He doesn't want to do it for a start.
Himmel kicked three and Haynes took a lot of intercepts. Our talls weren't the issue. Our kicking was.

Lloyd was an easy our for me. Get Hamilton or Stone in that role.
Riccardi just isn't there. I'd be rushing Cadman.

A few things from today;
Number one and a little self indulgent, I love being able to attend our games when they come to VIC, nothing like the match day experience even when you lose.

• We desperately need a capable small defender, I'm talking about someone around 182cm with the athleticism to match it with the likes of Charlie Cameron, Izak Rankine, etc., it's been a weakness of ours for a couple of years and today a couple of first year players in Menzie and Davey were too influential for my liking, I'm not expecting someone that's able to influence the offensive side of the game massively here, but on form Ash, Idun and Cumming could all make way for a more lockdown orientated type imo
  • Lack of defensive work in transition from our forward line it killing us, I was a fan of HH, Riccardi and Hogan being a trio but if none are willing to apply themselves defensively, and Toby isn't suddenly going to pick up in that regard, we need to get Cadman in or hope Bedford isn't far off. Along with this, the usual complaints of cohesion amongst the big 3
  • Tom Green's ball use is starting to get alarming, so many lamented Taranto's kicking but at least he was very reliable by hand, Green too often panics under pressure and blindly handballs forward in hopes of clearing it, the Bombers weren't clinical enough to hurt us with it today but better sides will be
  • Conor Stone just doesn't seem to have a natural position, looks lost regardless of the situation

• Josh Kelly, that is all, heart and soul player of the club and genuinely our best lead by example player at the moment
  • Haynes improving
+Rowston continuing to impress

A few things from today;
Number one and a little self indulgent, I love being able to attend our games when they come to VIC, nothing like the match day experience even when you lose.

• We desperately need a capable small defender, I'm talking about someone around 182cm with the athleticism to match it with the likes of Charlie Cameron, Izak Rankine, etc., it's been a weakness of ours for a couple of years and today a couple of first year players in Menzie and Davey were too influential for my liking, I'm not expecting someone that's able to influence the offensive side of the game massively here, but on form Ash, Idun and Cumming could all make way for a more lockdown orientated type imo
  • Lack of defensive work in transition from our forward line it killing us, I was a fan of HH, Riccardi and Hogan being a trio but if none are willing to apply themselves defensively, and Toby isn't suddenly going to pick up in that regard, we need to get Cadman in or hope Bedford isn't far off. Along with this, the usual complaints of cohesion amongst the big 3
  • Tom Green's ball use is starting to get alarming, so many lamented Taranto's kicking but at least he was very reliable by hand, Green too often panics under pressure and blindly handballs forward in hopes of clearing it, the Bombers weren't clinical enough to hurt us with it today but better sides will be
  • Conor Stone just doesn't seem to have a natural position, looks lost regardless of the situation

• Josh Kelly, that is all, heart and soul player of the club and genuinely our best lead by example player at the moment
  • Haynes improving
+Rowston continuing to impress
Watching Cadman in VFL his defensive pressure has been his most impressive quality.

Is there some rationale someone else can think of why Callaghan is now on the right wing?

If I recall correctly he was on the left wing in the pre-season vs Gold Coast and also maybe for the start of the Adelaide game.

On the right wing he has been forcing his right kick which probably explains his relatively low DE.

Would Briggs and Flynn together be feasible? Play them alternatively off the bench to keep up mobility and also as a forward line of Hogan, Himmelberg and Cadman would tall enough?
Perhaps at the expense of Riccardi

Is there some rationale someone else can think of why Callaghan is now on the right wing?

If I recall correctly he was on the left wing in the pre-season vs Gold Coast and also maybe for the start of the Adelaide game.

On the right wing he has been forcing his right kick which probably explains his relatively low DE.
Really good point.

In the first quarter we tried to play our new way, but turned it over plenty. Reckon we lost our nerve and went into our shells.
Quite a few times we missed a kick to the centre and it went back the other way. We need to start making more of them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back