Player Watch 2024 AFL Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Same rules as every other year.

This isn’t the thread to talk about your ladder predictions or declarations of how interested you are in the draft in response to a win/loss, nor is it the thread to declare who you want to trade for.
Those posts will be deleted.

Talk about the kids in the draft.

Still working his way back into game shape, Draper had a much stronger outing in the second state trial match for the U18's. He played in shorter bursts and spent plenty of time on the bench, but ran out the full game and was influential, although he noticeably tired as the game went on.

A look at the early favourite for pick 1 in 2025, manchild Dyson Sharp. Playing off half back with stints through the middle, even at only 16 years of age Dyson is already more than capable of matching it physically against his opponents from the U20 team. Strong over the footy, excellent balance and composure, nice mark and excellent disposal... plenty to be excited about for the future.

A look at the early favourite for pick 1 in 2025, manchild Dyson Sharp. Playing off half back with stints through the middle, even at only 16 years of age Dyson is already more than capable of matching it physically against his opponents from the U20 team. Strong over the footy, excellent balance and composure, nice mark and excellent disposal... plenty to be excited about for the future.

Very promising prospect. Not quite on the same level as JHF or Reid at the same age for mine.

Every week Kako is spending more time in the midfield for Calder and its starting to pay off big time for both his own form and that of his team. He was dynamic with his ability to win contested footy and bust clear for damaging possessions, pumping it inside 50 12 times and setting up a number of shots on goal for his teammates. On a rainy and slippery day, Kako's cleanness with the footy stood out.

i like Will McLachlan from the Geelong Falcons 185cm, small forw with a strong mark and kicks bags, knows how to find space as well, looks an AFL Talent at CTL level imo, has kicked 20 goals in 5 games in the CTL this season and looked very good in Vic Country Trials kicking a few there too.

I am with you Davo, the limited footage I have seen Will reminds me of a Connor MacDonald kind of forward.

With Punky looking close to cooked, would love to see us pick up Will.

Langford's consistent production at this level can't be denied, but this game from him was a little scrappier than usual. His normally strong kicking was off, and he seemed to struggle at times with the lack of space and time afforded to him due to the excellent pressure applied by the Lions players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Smillie struggled to get anything going in this game, one in which his Eastern team was comprehensively beaten by the Devils. He appeared to work from contest to contest as hard as usual, and perhaps applied even more defensive pressure, but he struggled mightily to get first hands on the ball at stoppage registering just one clearance for the game, and wasn't able to find much of it on the spread either.

Every week Kako is spending more time in the midfield for Calder and its starting to pay off big time for both his own form and that of his team. He was dynamic with his ability to win contested footy and bust clear for damaging possessions, pumping it inside 50 12 times and setting up a number of shots on goal for his teammates. On a rainy and slippery day, Kako's cleanness with the footy stood out.

Changa 2.0

Has that same shimmy on the boundary, stepping back inside and hitting the full forward on the chest that I saw a million times.

Last edited:
Interesting!
Hadn't seen his name much, and now he's in pick 1 calculations.
Just came off 30 touches and a bag of 4.

But he is someone I’d look at, maybe biased because I’ve played a lot of footy with him, I’ve also gone to school with him for a while. Before I moved.

Last year a speedy half back who threw himself at contests aerially and was tough defensively. Now up in the middle and forward line. Finds space in traffic and moves through traffic superbly, really good movement and pace inside and spread on the outside. Hands and cleanliness is good but his ball use is iffy as is his accuracy at goal. Good mark despite only being 184 and throws himself at contests around the ground (ground level or in the air). Tackling pressure and competitive nature is probably his one wood but he’s a leader, high iq player who as I said can go forward and has kicked goals.

Would be best around the midfield pushing forward but can play inside, outside, back, mid and forward with extreme versatility. Definitely needs to work on his decision making and ball use however. But that’ll get honed out at the top level and he will continue to build size.

i like Will McLachlan from the Geelong Falcons 185cm, small forw with a strong mark and kicks bags, knows how to find space as well, looks an AFL Talent at CTL level imo, has kicked 20 goals in 5 games in the CTL this season and looked very good in Vic Country Trials kicking a few there too.
Reported in this article that we've got our eyes on Will McLachlan. He takes a fair few grabs for someone only 185cm.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back