No Oppo Supporters 2024 AFL General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Midweek Tackle: Ralph reckons the Hawks have 3 to 4 mill in cap space. Oof. Let's go shopping they'd be saying.
Not surprised. Where's the talent on that list?

Terrible news for Tom Doedee. Tearing his ACL again just a few days before his return. Looks like another long lay-off ahead for him.
Alex Johnson areas. Can’t help but feel for a player when they keep copping it like that

Midweek Tackle: Ralph reckons the Hawks have 3 to 4 mill in cap space. Oof. Let's go shopping they'd be saying.
Last night on the Midweek tackle he put up a list of around a dozen names. I have no idea if he got this from Hawthorn or if it’s just a list of who he thinks Hawthorn should be aiming for. Errol and Logan were the Swans names on the list. I didn’t look at the rest.

Hawthorn are maybe kicking themselves for not bidding on Errol immediately after bidding on Campbell.

Last night on the Midweek tackle he put up a list of around a dozen names. I have no idea if he got this from Hawthorn or if it’s just a list of who he thinks Hawthorn should be aiming for. Errol and Logan were the Swans names on the list. I didn’t look at the rest.

Hawthorn are maybe kicking themselves for not bidding on Errol immediately after bidding on Campbell.

Every club would be kicking themselves. Even we were a bit lucky with him in hindsight.

That list was simply the Best out of Contract players and the discussion was around which of these they should be interested in for their deficiencies. The call out was they needed backmen but aside from 1 player who would probs stay at Saints there were no other backmen on the list.

Wilkie wanted to table the report, shut down by Labour and LNP. AFL framing this as player welfare and doctor / patient confidentiality. Heat is rapidly dissipating. I stand corrected. This is has gone from the biggest scandal to hit Australian sport to being a big nothing burger.

It just a storm in a teacup. There will be no implications as it is all covered by legal and medical jargon. Nothing to see here, move on, it's getting boring all this illicit drugs and Melbourne talk. And honestly who cares, it's so rife that as long as players turn up, are professional during working hours, not making a fool of themselves publicly, and not getting pinged on gameday then i could not give a stuff anymore.
Regardless of your opinion on recreational drugs, if the league is actively working with clubs to help players avoid positive tests through official bodies then we should all care.

It's incredible overreach and raises so many questions. Are all clubs receiving the exact same level of "assistance"? What else are the AFL doing on the sly?

It's astonishing quite frankly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wilkie wanted to table the report, shut down by Labour and LNP. AFL framing this as player welfare and doctor / patient confidentiality. Heat is rapidly dissipating. I stand corrected. This is has gone from the biggest scandal to hit Australian sport to being a big nothing burger.
I mean. If the AFL aligned reporters don't want to report on it, Its obviously a nothing burger.

Looking like we dodged some bullets during the trade period. Not saying that things might not have worked out differently with us but the form of McKay & Barrass hasn't been been any better than Melican's (in fact I'd say he's been better than Barrass so far) and Doedee's recurring injury wouldn't have been great to have on our books.

Regardless of your opinion on recreational drugs, if the league is actively working with clubs to help players avoid positive tests through official bodies then we should all care.

It's incredible overreach and raises so many questions. Are all clubs receiving the exact same level of "assistance"? What else are the AFL doing on the sly?

It's astonishing quite frankly.
This.

Looking like we dodged some bullets during the trade period. Not saying that things might not have worked out differently with us but the form of McKay & Barrass hasn't been been any better than Melican's (in fact I'd say he's been better than Barrass so far) and Doedee's recurring injury wouldn't have been great to have on our books.
I don't reckon the swans were seriously into Mckay or Barrass.

It just a storm in a teacup. There will be no implications as it is all covered by legal and medical jargon. Nothing to see here, move on, it's getting boring all this illicit drugs and Melbourne talk. And honestly who cares, it's so rife that as long as players turn up, are professional during working hours, not making a fool of themselves publicly, and not getting pinged on gameday then i could not give a stuff anymore.
It's so stupid what a taboo topic it is in the AFL when anyone who hasn't lived under a rock and has actually encountered 18-30 year old males in the real world knows that it's something that will always be present in the sport and most likely a non issue for 99% of players.

On SEN the other morning Buckley had to tiptoe around the Oliver situation, obviously being extremely careful not to use the word drugs or drug problem. "He was obviously a high functioning dr... err, he was functioning at a high level while working through issues last year"

Well i mean from the start i thought McKay cost was ridiculous so im glad he said no to moving interstate as we were one of the clubs involved.

Barrass was at least quality and was quite happy to pursue him he would be fantastic in a system like ours.

Well i mean from the start i thought McKay cost was ridiculous so im glad he said no to moving interstate as we were one of the clubs involved.

Barrass was at least quality and was quite happy to pursue him he would be fantastic in a system like ours.
Yeah I had the same thoughts. McKay would have been fine but not at what Essendon are paying for him. I was really, really keen on Barrass but in hindsight we might be better off without him. He's been pretty poor and unacountable from what I've seen so far this year. Obviously a quality player though.

Yeah I had the same thoughts. McKay would have been fine but not at what Essendon are paying for him. I was really, really keen on Barrass but in hindsight we might be better off without him. He's been pretty poor and unacountable from what I've seen so far this year. Obviously a quality player though.
Will he play against Carlton though, or will the conspiracy be proven true?

WADA may disagree as cocaine is classed as a S6 stimulant and banned for all competitions.

If they are shielding them from game day and the subsequent tests then there is a large issue.

How so? If they aren't playing..?

I think this 'shielding on game day' is being misrepresented as dodging match day testing when what it means is they simply aren't playing if it's still in their system. Which by its nature means they aren't using it in-competition.

Melbourne: "OK we're in the spotlight cause of this whole 'faking injuries to avoid drug tests' scandal. Let's not do anything that will draw attention to it, especially Clayton Oliver"

Melbourne 12 hours later:

How so? If they aren't playing..?

I think this 'shielding on game day' is being misrepresented as dodging match day testing when what it means is they simply aren't playing if it's still in their system. Which by its nature means they aren't using it in-competition.
It's illegal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back