No Oppo Supporters 2024 AFL General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Well i mean from the start i thought McKay cost was ridiculous so im glad he said no to moving interstate as we were one of the clubs involved.

Barrass was at least quality and was quite happy to pursue him he would be fantastic in a system like ours.
Barrass has some ongoing back injury issues I think.

He's also probably on massive coin at the Eagles

So probably wasn't going to work for him or us. Too risky for us for the $$ he would ask for.

Just read this article on the Saints but interesting that only the Swans and Cats bothered to bid on Owens and Windhager. It's no surprise that the Swans and Geelong are always contending . Better at spotting talent imo.

How 2021 draft class is shaping the changing Saints - https://www.afl.com.au/news/1095326

Last edited:

How so? If they aren't playing..?

I think this 'shielding on game day' is being misrepresented as dodging match day testing when what it means is they simply aren't playing if it's still in their system. Which by its nature means they aren't using it in-competition.
This is purely speculation, and I have no idea, but could there be rules with WADA that say things like this have to be reported or aren't allowed?

This is purely speculation, and I have no idea, but could there be rules with WADA that say things like this have to be reported or aren't allowed?

Glad you prefaced because that's it. The AFL has been pretty transparent when questioned this morning about it. I'm not sure they would be if they were actually caught doing something wrong. If the players in question have been withdrawn from gameday as a result of drug issues, then, in a way, the AFL is doing the job of WADA for them (in the sense of policing and keeping the sport 'clean' on match day).

I mean. If the AFL aligned reporters don't want to report on it, Its obviously a nothing burger.

They want to keep their accreditation. Many are unemployable dills. There is no interest like self interest.

Perha

Perhaps that’s why he didn’t reach the heights his brother did so became a journalist instead (and we all know how honourable they are 🤣🤣🤣🤣)

I think there is a lot more to that story and you can get one take on it in Brandon Jack's book, 28.

Glad you prefaced because that's it. The AFL has been pretty transparent when questioned this morning about it. I'm not sure they would be if they were actually caught doing something wrong. If the players in question have been withdrawn from gameday as a result of drug issues, then, in a way, the AFL is doing the job of WADA for them (in the sense of policing and keeping the sport 'clean' on match day).

And that is the obvious line* I’d advise the AFL to run on, ie keeping the sport clean. Who knows it is probably true.

* promise I will grab my coat and hat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wilkie wanted to table the report, shut down by Labour and LNP. AFL framing this as player welfare and doctor / patient confidentiality. Heat is rapidly dissipating. I stand corrected. This is has gone from the biggest scandal to hit Australian sport to being a big nothing burger.
Think what actually came of the Dank/Essendon/Cronulla saga - absolutely nothing, yet the collateral damage was huge - very politically motivated at the time, but 10 years down the track, what was the outcome??

Melbourne: "OK we're in the spotlight cause of this whole 'faking injuries to avoid drug tests' scandal. Let's not do anything that will draw attention to it, especially Clayton Oliver"

Melbourne 12 hours later:

I can just imagine some innocent intern in with the Demons doctor.

Intern: I have looked at the scan and there is nothing wrong with his hand. Why are you writing on the form that Clayton has a broken hand and needs to miss 3 weeks?

Doctor: Quiet please.

I haven't seen it but from your description it sounds like she uses a lot of weasel words. Politics was the word that came to mind as I was reading your post.
She cannot convince me that was the right decision. If so, then players will all wait, like Danger & knee guys. Danger only has to breathe on the ball and he gets a free. There seem to be several like him, Cripps, Bont, Merritt. If that is the way they are going to pay below the knee then we are in trouble

On CPH2471 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Intern: I have looked at the scan and there is nothing wrong with his hand. Why are you writing on the form that Clayton has a broken hand and needs to miss 3 weeks?

Doctor: Oh I'm not a doctor

"His hand appears to be fine but his nasal passage looks like someone drove a freight train through it"

Barrass has some ongoing back injury issues I think.

He's also probably on massive coin at the Eagles

So probably wasn't going to work for him or us. Too risky for us for the $$ he would ask for.
TBH the report I read made it sound like he's an injury away from permanent disability - it's his neck.
My takeaway is I'm glad it fell through and maybe that his doctor should think about stepping in. He'll never get back to what he was.

Oh are we going to play this game.

You seem the sort that people call the police on because you didn't walk past some kids drinking in the park.

Half time.
Change ends.
Please stop and show some respect Tedeski and SM

Oh are we going to play this game.

You seem the sort that people call the police on because you didn't walk past some kids drinking in the park.

Half time.
Change ends.
??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back