List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Purely as a hypothetical, if there was a mid-season trade period how about we trade McDonald for Larkey? We get a KPF who is ready to go right now during our window, and they get a KPF who will mature along with their midfield?

With the added bonus that he will ask to come back in 3 years!

I hope we re-sign Hayward but if he leaves, there's a little chatter about Liam Baker being available. He'd be a great get even if not exactly like for like.
The more I think about it, the more I see Parker as the best replacement for Hayward. He has the following attributes:
  • has a big tank that would allow him to move up and down the ground as an outlet from defence
  • is very good above his head
  • tackles well
  • kicks straight
  • his snap kicks wouldn't be falling prey to opposition defenders, but would instead be registering scores
  • won't cost us anything in terms of draft picks or extra cap space

In addition, we still have both Mills and Sheldrick to come back into a crowded midfield that has just had Adams added to it.

Hope it's not 4, then we're dealing with Errol, Logan, Heeney, Papley and Rowy all ooc in the same year. Not ideal. Would be better if it was 5. Only Mills ooc in 29.
Heeney and Papley will both be 32 years old at that point. Their next contracts won't be anywhere near what they're on now.

Similar to Parker (33), Lloyd (32), and Rampe (35) and their ages when they come out of contract at the end of 2025. Extending Heeney, Papley, and Mills in 2029 should all be a lot easier. Assuming they don't call it a day.

Purely as a hypothetical, if there was a mid-season trade period how about we trade McDonald for Larkey? We get a KPF who is ready to go right now during our window, and they get a KPF who will mature along with their midfield?

Heavy pass thanks

The more I think about it, the more I see Parker as the best replacement for Hayward. He has the following attributes:
  • has a big tank that would allow him to move up and down the ground as an outlet from defence
  • tackles well
  • kicks straight
  • his snap kicks wouldn't be falling prey to opposition defenders, but would instead be registering scores

In addition, we still have both Mills and Sheldrick to come back into a crowded midfield that has just had Adams added to it.
I liked this because you remembered Gus.

Well played.

In that case I'll call it off, then.

I'll take Logan for 4-5 years, ideally we need a genuine secon tall though and before anyone says Amartey or McLean if we are relying on them as a second thats a red flag

• tackles well
  • kicks straight

Parker lacks the height, jump and acceleration to lead and mark reliably. Plus you couldn't ask him to do a job on someone like Lever or Haynes, guys that Hayward has played well on in the past. Parker is a good contested mark though and does well against small / medium defenders whilst resting in F50 and is a good kick. For him to be a replacement for Will, we would need more out of Logan to make up for what we'd lose, which I think he could definitely provide.

Last edited:
Joel Cochran playing for Australia in the AFL National Academy Boys squad vs Coburg this Saturday at 1pm - available to watch live and free on the AFL website

Full team in link

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Logan will be great, but North would be mad to do this.

Interesting how this year's OOC players break down by position (using rustycrate's player list as a reference)

Defenders (7)
Cunningham
Florent
Melican
Francis
Vickery
Edwards
Arnold

Mids (1)
Mitchell

Forwards (7)
Hayward
Fox
McDonald
Reid
Buller
Konstanty
Magor

Rucks (1)
McAndrew

Interesting how this year's OOC players break down by position (using rustycrate's player list as a reference)

Defenders (7)
Cunningham
Florent
Melican
Francis
Vickery
Edwards
Arnold

Mids (1)
Mitchell

Forwards (7)
Hayward
Fox
McDonald
Reid
Buller
Konstanty
Magor

Rucks (1)
McAndrew
Interesting yes, but what do you make of it?
My guess is that either 4 or 5 will not be offered new contracts assuming none move on of their own accord. How they go during the season will have a big bearing on who. My "picks":
Vickery
Arnold
Reid
Magor
Konstanty if it's 5
Fox an outside possibility but he's still going strong and is best 26 or so.
Francis maybe or he might choose to move on.
We have two first rounders probably before Cochran unless we can combine them to chase a particular draftee.
Second Academy kid?
Don't see us trading anyone in.

Last edited:
Interesting yes, but what do you make of it?
My guess is that either 4 or 5 will not be offered new contracts assuming none move on of their own accord. How they go during the season will have a big bearing on who. My "picks":
Vickery
Arnold
Reid
Magor
Konstanty if it's 5
Fox an outside possibility but he's still going strong and is best 26 or so.
Francis maybe or he might choose to move on.
We have two first rounders probably before Cochran unless we can combine them to chase a particular draftee.
Second Academy kid?
Don't see us trading anyone in.
Depending on how the list ends up at the end of the year, my (probably totally wrong) guesses would be Francis, Vickery, Reid, and possibly Konstanty.

At this stage I'd say there'd be 1 or 2 drafted from the Academy (most likely Cochran, and Harrison - although not so sure on him just yet)

If we take another Academy player, it could be one of the over-agers like Indhi - eg. Max Rider or Lachie Cabor

Depending on how the list ends up at the end of the year, my (probably totally wrong) guesses would be Francis, Vickery, Reid, and possibly Konstanty.

At this stage I'd say there'd be 1 or 2 drafted from the Academy (most likely Cochran, and Harrison - although not so sure on him just yet)

If we take another Academy player, it could be one of the over-agers like Indhi - eg. Max Rider or Lachie Cabor
If I understand correctly the overager would have to be taken as a Cat B and probably that would mean Edwards would be promoted to Cat A (no idea how that would work) or the senior list to create the space or delisted which looks unlikely.
With Francis it seems to me that it depends on whether we see him as value as an interceptor or tall medium. I like him but don't see him as a lockdown with Melican and Hamling in front of him.
If Reid doesn't get senior games he's done.
Vickery, Magor and Konstanty it's hard to read this early but they'll need to bash the door down.

Heartbeat

Larky is a gun number 1 forward

Nobody mentions McAndrew at all. He is nearly 24 and, although he has played 2 senior games, is still a long way from AFL standard.
I understand that he is a development player, but how long do we give him? If Ladhams is suspended while Grundy is injured (heaven forbid) then he is all we have apart from an 18yo.
Do we think he will make it?

Nobody mentions McAndrew at all. He is nearly 24 and, although he has played 2 senior games, is still a long way from AFL standard.
I understand that he is a development player, but how long do we give him? If Ladhams is suspended while Grundy is injured (heaven forbid) then he is all we have apart from an 18yo.
I’m still optimistic, given the fact that he only took up AFL late & has made a good fist of it so far.

Like Mike Pyke, I’m hoping he has an AFL epiphany & becomes a quality ruck.

It’s a very important year for him.

I highly doubt any team would be consider any scenario where a player is suspended. If they are concerned a player isn't going to be available due to suspension, then that player may as well not even be on the list. That being the case, assuming Ladhams doesnt request a trade at seasons end, i cant see why we would re-sign him given we have Grundy, Ladhams, McLean, Amarty and Green all on the list. Seems very much surplus to requirements.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back