Player Watch 2024 Father-Son player watch - Ky Burgoyne and Ned Maginness

Remove this Banner Ad

Might be more to do with his grandfather.

Yes I think it's more in reference to their being more than one generation of Burgoyne's playing for the club starting with Peter Burgoyne Snr back in 1977.

I should note he only played 2 games for Port Adelaide SANFL, so nothing like a John Kennedy Snr in terms of stature at the club, so it's more the Burgoyne son's that cemented the name at Port.

Yes I think it's more in reference to their being more than one generation of Burgoyne's playing for the club starting with Peter Burgoyne Snr back in 1977.

I should note he only played 2 games for Port Adelaide SANFL, so nothing like a John Kennedy Snr in terms of stature at the club, so it's more the Burgoyne son's that cemented the name at Port.
Ky’s aunt (Erin Phillips) and grandfather (Greg Phillips) on his Mum’s side are probably as much Port royalty as the Burgoyne’s.

Burgoyne isn't coming to us as a F/S, Port will get him. They live in Adelaide and Port are a better team currently.

I imagine it becomes a business decision for him.
With Kokatha (Nunga) tribal ancestry - the family has been attached to South Australia for a very very long time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Burgoyne isn't coming to us as a F/S, Port will get him. They live in Adelaide and Port are a better team currently.

I imagine it becomes a business decision for him.
I think it might not be as clear cut as you and other's think. For someone who is not coming to us he has spent a lot of time over here having a look. I think Port picking him for their seconds side is part of them wooing him to them as they are worried he might choose us.

I think it might not be as clear cut as you and other's think. For someone who is not coming to us he has spent a lot of time over here having a look. I think Port picking him for their seconds side is part of them wooing him to them as they are worried he might choose us.

No doubt it is part of them convincing him to choose them.

Like I said, it will be a business decision - they are a better side than us currently and have more elite young talents (this can obviously change with how the season plays out), his cousin plays for Port and he and his family live over there. What realistic reason would he choose us over them?

A potential issue for them is the possible (impending?) sacking of Hinkley at the end of the season. Hopefully there is some off field turmoil and he doesn't want to be part of that.

Like I said, it will be a business decision - they are a better side than us currently and have more elite young talents (this can obviously change with how the season plays out), his cousin plays for Port and he and his family live over there. What realistic reason would he choose us over them?

A potential issue for them is the possible (impending?) sacking of Hinkley at the end of the season. Hopefully there is some off field turmoil and he doesn't want to be part of that.
If it is a business decision, which I do agree with, then family comes out of the equation. It'll come down to a combination of list composition and belief in the coach. Port ahead on the first at the moment and I think Sam would be more ahead of Ken.

Port board is not even sure port will draft KY yet. At this stage he is not rated highly in the draft.

Also port being a good side will mean there is a limit amount of spots available.

Port board is not even sure port will draft KY yet. At this stage he is not rated highly in the draft.

Also port being a good side will mean there is a limit amount of spots available.
He ain’t rated as draft able.

Which makes sense.

Ky hasn’t had any issues to hamper his development (unlike Calsher, but more like Ned).

He simply isn’t at the draftable level.

If he was - he would have made the u18 SA national champs squad of 38 (the vast majority of whom won’t get drafted either).

He is no higher than the level below, and may well stay there.

Could he “do a Calsher” and have a form spurt which puts him in the frame? Of course he might.

Port playing him by arrangement makes sense as he would probably stay in SA beyond 2024, and then play SANFL in 2025 at either Port or West Adelaide.

Helps them keep an eye on him in case he improves as a footballer if he doesn’t get drafted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back