List Mgmt. 2024 List Management šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

Battle is a tweener, not as agile as Gov, better defensively than Kemp, more assertive than Marchbank

He'd add to our list, but beyond our cap space

Busslinger will end up at WC
I reckon you're on the ball....the fact that Busslinger hasn't yet re-signed in his 2nd year makes you think he could be weighing up his options with all of the Dogs' tall stocks.

If/when JUH re-signs, then Croft will likely become a key defender once Jones pulls the pin, along with O'Donnell, and Khamis riding shotgun.

He'll probably end up back west, but I'd like to think we're in with a sniff.

Yeah, racking up 47 touches and 17 clearances in the VFL suggests itā€™s not the player who has fallen off 5e cliff

Was segueing in to, would he be a good fit for us?

Iā€™m assuming we will be going to the draft and adding players like Hollands, Acres, Fantasia and wonā€™t have enough capital or money to go after bigger names.

McRae might be in the range where we are interested.

I like Florent too but feel he might be a touch too much

I reckon you're on the ball....the fact that Busslinger hasn't yet re-signed in his 2nd year makes you think he could be weighing up his options with all of the Dogs' tall stocks.

If/when JUH re-signs, then Croft will likely become a key defender once Jones pulls the pin, along with O'Donnell, and Khamis riding shotgun.

He'll probably end up back west, but I'd like to think we're in with a sniff.
WC have heaps of cash to spend over tge next 3 years

They'll offer big money to a number of elite players knowing they'll re-sign, then entice some younger/mid tier players to move

Was segueing in to, would he be a good fit for us?

Iā€™m assuming we will be going to the draft and adding players like Hollands, Acres, Fantasia and wonā€™t have enough capital or money to go after bigger names.

McRae might be in the range where we are interested.

I like Florent too but feel he might be a touch too much

Macrae would be a fantastic get, but it's a question of whether he's worth the cost when considering what he replaces.

Cripps, Walsh, Cerra, Hewett
Docherty
Carroll
Kennedy, Hollands (x2), Cuningham
Wilson

That's 4 on-ballers - three starting and one coming off the bench as a primary rotation.
Doc was a fifth mid/wing rotation, but is now out for the year. By the time Macrae would be coming in Doc is potentially eyeing a return.
Carroll is next cab off the rank (currently in with Walsh out).
Kennedy, Hollandses and Cuningham are all starting elsewhere but likely rolling through the middle as needed.
Wilson fresh from the draft, starting down back, but club has publicly stated they see him as a mid.

You want Macrae in, then one of the starting 4 is out, or Doc is out. That pushes Carroll deeper in the depth chart and he potentially shops around.

Or you squeeze one of the role players and shift one of the starting mids into a peripheral role. No point in that being down back, we're loaded there, and none of them are good enough as primary forwards. Maybe wing....but Acres is huge in that role and the others feel wasted on a wing. And again...there's always the risk that if you move a Walsh or Cerra to a wing, they get frustrated at being shifted to the periphery.

The only scenario where I see Macrae as a really viable target for us is if Doc hits a wall with his rehab and decides to give it away and shift into a Footy Dept role. That frees up some genuine cap space and a role as a mid/wing rotation which would probably suit Macrae to a tee. Status quo is effectively unchanged, Carroll is next in line for any injury to a mid, we retain the role players who can rotate mid in their other positions etc.

What bites first. Our desperate need for 3rd and 4th marking targets up forward or Moir not being proven?

One of the problems our forward line has is that's it's full of small ground level players who are just that, they aren't leading marking players. It's not great that the next marking target after Charlie and Harry is Owies. I think Moir may get a chance purely because Martin and Silvagni are injured and there is no no one else and he may surprise a few.

If he can play forward pocket and lead hard and work around the full forward or play a forward flank and run really hard into space and work around the CHF and make the most of the ground balls then he may just do alright on the third or fourth best defender.

Going forward we have 1 or 2 players leading hard and really demanding the ball and the rest just waiting for the ball to come in. Would be nice if we had a few more running and demanding the ball be kicked to them.

Sadly again, we are nearly a month into the AFL season and no reserves/VFL games have been played. It's not a good supporting competition.

Only pure mid I'd be interested in of the names above would be McCluggage. Unfortunately he would be well out of our cap range without moving on multiple senior players.

Macrae is a good player, elite at his best, but think he's more of the same (Hewett/Kennedy) and would likely cost just as much in salary as McCluggage

A good goalsneak and a bit more leg speed around the ground the only things I'd be blowing money on this off season.

What bites first. Our desperate need for 3rd and 4th marking targets up forward or Moir not being proven?

One of the problems our forward line has is that's it's full of small ground level players who are just that, they aren't leading marking players. It's not great that the next marking target after Charlie and Harry is Owies. I think Moir may get a chance purely because Martin and Silvagni are injured and there is no no one else and he may surprise a few.

If he can play forward pocket and lead hard and work around the full forward or play a forward flank and run really hard into space and work around the CHF and make the most of the ground balls then he may just do alright on the third or fourth best defender.

Going forward we have 1 or 2 players leading hard and really demanding the ball and the rest just waiting for the ball to come in. Would be nice if we had a few more running and demanding the ball be kicked to them.

Sadly again, we are nearly a month into the AFL season and no reserves/VFL games have been played. It's not a good supporting competition.

I agree with your point about needing more marking targets. If you look at Brisbane most their forwards can mark whilst being great at ground level. Our forward line is mostly full of guys who are one or the other which makes us less dangerous.

Though I don't think that need pushes Moir into the team prematurely. Kennedy is playing that role at the moment. And E.Hollands will come in and do it as well. Between those 2 and Owies we should have enough options. Then Martin to come back.

I'd love to see Moir get games but will need to earn his spot.

WING
- well stocked with 3-4x genuine starting options and a couple of developing players.

FORWARD
6 - best KPP pair in the business, just recruited for medium forward coverage, have a range of smalls with varying skillsets
To me our biggest weakness is speed on the wings for depth. We have three viable options, but I would not mind a winger/forward that plays a combination.

If you're looking at the bottom 6 players in our team currently, it feels like a combination of Owies, Fogarty, Cotts, Hollands, Fantazia, Carroll... Then we're an inside midfielder with a little burst short, I would like to replace a Kennedy with a player with some burst, even Hewett with some burst of speed.

Reckon as soon as the coaches are confident that Moir understands our structures and leading patterns, and as soon as Moir has demonstrated sufficient buy-in to the defensive aspects of the role, then he'll be unleashed.

You don't want to shaft him though by playing him before he's ready to contribute. If he spends a month running to the wrong spots, getting in the way and not getting the ball in his hands, then he gets dropped by necessity and his confidence takes a hit.

To me our biggest weakness is speed on the wings for depth. We have three viable options, but I would not mind a winger/forward that plays a combination.

If you're looking at the bottom 6 players in our team currently, it feels like a combination of Owies, Fogarty, Cotts, Hollands, Fantazia, Carroll... Then we're an inside midfielder with a little burst short, I would like to replace a Kennedy with a player with some burst, even Hewett with some burst of speed.

Express pace on the wings would be lovely, but I'd prefer Acres' workrate and physicality. He's currently an extra forward and defender for pretty much 4 quarters, it's quite astounding. And Hollands is building towards that too, just need to keep backing him in and letting him grow at the level.

Carroll is keeping Walsh's seat warm.
Owies, Fog and Fantasia should be supplanted by the likes of Motlop, Durdin and E. Hollands. Motlop needs to keep hitting the scoreboard, Durds needs to stay more involved defensively while still crumbing well, and Hollands should replace Fantasia as soon as he's selected.
Cotts massively underrated by many, and while I'm open to him being "upgraded" I think it's a pipe dream that you'll find a player with his dedication, workrate and versatility, but with an elite skill ceiling, who will play for the kind of moderate salary he's on. You've gotta have some blokes on low salaries, and defensive forward/wing rotation is as good a spot for them as any.

Hewett does look like the mid who could be dropped, but on balance I think his willingness to sacrifice his game for the good of the group is invaluable. You don't get that from a ball-hunter like Macrae.

Macrae would be a fantastic get, but it's a question of whether he's worth the cost when considering what he replaces.

Cripps, Walsh, Cerra, Hewett
Docherty
Carroll
Kennedy, Hollands (x2), Cuningham
Wilson

That's 4 on-ballers - three starting and one coming off the bench as a primary rotation.
Doc was a fifth mid/wing rotation, but is now out for the year. By the time Macrae would be coming in Doc is potentially eyeing a return.
Carroll is next cab off the rank (currently in with Walsh out).
Kennedy, Hollandses and Cuningham are all starting elsewhere but likely rolling through the middle as needed.
Wilson fresh from the draft, starting down back, but club has publicly stated they see him as a mid.

You want Macrae in, then one of the starting 4 is out, or Doc is out. That pushes Carroll deeper in the depth chart and he potentially shops around.

Or you squeeze one of the role players and shift one of the starting mids into a peripheral role. No point in that being down back, we're loaded there, and none of them are good enough as primary forwards. Maybe wing....but Acres is huge in that role and the others feel wasted on a wing. And again...there's always the risk that if you move a Walsh or Cerra to a wing, they get frustrated at being shifted to the periphery.

The only scenario where I see Macrae as a really viable target for us is if Doc hits a wall with his rehab and decides to give it away and shift into a Footy Dept role. That frees up some genuine cap space and a role as a mid/wing rotation which would probably suit Macrae to a tee. Status quo is effectively unchanged, Carroll is next in line for any injury to a mid, we retain the role players who can rotate mid in their other positions etc.
You can scratch my interest in McRae, he signed a big 5 year deal in 2022.

In regards to a lot of your points, assuming we are now competing for premiership's Iā€™d hope the club is looking at bringing in players who improve the team, imo youā€™ve listed players who are a fair way off in quality compared to McRae but I was assuming heā€™d be a cheap pick up.

Regardless of position, if we bring in a best 22 player it will push someone else to the periphery, this is inevitable.

I agree with your point about needing more marking targets. If you look at Brisbane most their forwards can mark whilst being great at ground level. Our forward line is mostly full of guys who are one or the other which makes us less dangerous.

Though I don't think that need pushes Moir into the team prematurely. Kennedy is playing that role at the moment. And E.Hollands will come in and do it as well. Between those 2 and Owies we should have enough options. Then Martin to come back.

I'd love to see Moir get games but will need to earn his spot.
Charlie is the only forward who is both. Owies and Cottrell have cameos. Our forward line is really unbalanced. Good ball movement is achievable when you have someone to kick too and that's not happening enough in our front half.

Kennedy is not playing the role well. He like many is doing bare minimum. He's a stop gap forward. Got run off badly last game, doesn't have the running power to gain separation. Wins a few ground level balls and does know how to lead so sometimes gets on the end of a kick but not often. He's good in the middle but he's not a forward.

Moir is probably not ready but I think he is the last option we have as a genuine medium forward. Very tempted to experiment with Kemp as a forward. Did a few years ago in the VFL and wasn't impressive but a lot has changed and he's an improved player so maybe the time is now.

E Hollands. I'm excited to see what he can do and what sort of player he will be. Martin we need, just adds that multidimensional forward we lack.

Forward line is crying out for a couple of players who are quick, can take a mark and have really good forward IQ when it comes to leading and running patterns. Oh and good skills.

Reckon as soon as the coaches are confident that Moir understands our structures and leading patterns, and as soon as Moir has demonstrated sufficient buy-in to the defensive aspects of the role, then he'll be unleashed.

You don't want to shaft him though by playing him before he's ready to contribute. If he spends a month running to the wrong spots, getting in the way and not getting the ball in his hands, then he gets dropped by necessity and his confidence takes a hit.

Ideally yes, this is true, but IMO we are desperate. Question is whether he is good enough to learn on the job in the AFL. That will be up for the coaches. Once again I am ropable there is no VFL. Could have had 2 or 3 games into him by now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Theyā€™re young, so not quite there yet, but weā€™ve already got Binns and Billy Wilson on the list

You can scratch my interest in McRae, he signed a big 5 year deal in 2022.

In regards to a lot of your points, assuming we are now competing for premiership's Iā€™d hope the club is looking at bringing in players who improve the team, imo youā€™ve listed players who are a fair way off in quality compared to McRae but I was assuming heā€™d be a cheap pick up.

Regardless of position, if we bring in a best 22 player it will push someone else to the periphery, this is inevitable.

Yeah, though as he's been dropped to the VFL there's always the chance it ends up a bit of a Brodie Grundy type situation where he could be grabbed for a relatively low cost and with part of his salary being covered.

Even then though, yep, someone has to make way for him. I don't think we improve much by dropping output from Cerra or Walsh to fit in Macrae. We improve more by having someone like Cunners or Fogarty make way for a Cam Rayner or Brad Close or Charlie Spargo...but they're all contracted for next year, so require a trade.

Yeah, though as he's been dropped to the VFL there's always the chance it ends up a bit of a Brodie Grundy type situation where he could be grabbed for a relatively low cost and with part of his salary being covered.

Even then though, yep, someone has to make way for him. I don't think we improve much by dropping output from Cerra or Walsh to fit in Macrae. We improve more by having someone like Cunners or Fogarty make way for a Cam Rayner or Brad Close or Charlie Spargo...but they're all contracted for next year, so require a trade.

I'm not sure Macrae would be right for us but he should 100% ask for a trade at the end of the year if he's not playing every week on--ball. Someone will get a bargain with the dogs probably paying half of his salary. Bevo is a complete moron.

I think the virus is not necessarily connected with his injury... And he will be fine once he gets a bit of confidence with games under his belt... And once Marchy is playing with his normal energy he is an automatic inclusion and we will definitely need him coming up against the 2 Sydney sides and Port Adelaide where there are at least two genuine gorilla key forwards
Yep he is a required player since Kemp is still developing and hasn't even played 50 games yet and Austin has stuffed up the 2ndKPD management of the list. I like Marchy - but I will never be surprised to see him unavailable he is a week to week proposition in my book.

Are inside mids value in the market diminishing, Tom Mitchell traded for a dime and now Jack Macrae being forced out of the dogs, clubs canā€™t have too many and speed seems to be far more valuable to clubs now.
It's a little bit that, but a lot more their salary for their age and output. Some inside mids have just become overvalued for what they do.

Bevo making Macrae earn his spot. Tbh I donā€™t see anything currently wrong with that and doubt Macrae goes anywhere at the end of this year.

He will be 30 at the end of the year and has at least 3 more really good seasons in him imo.

But if Doc wasnā€™t to return next year, Iā€™d think our club would certainly ask the question

Express pace on the wings would be lovely, but I'd prefer Acres' workrate and physicality. He's currently an extra forward and defender for pretty much 4 quarters, it's quite astounding. And Hollands is building towards that too, just need to keep backing him in and letting him grow at the level.

Owies, Fog and Fantasia should be supplanted by the likes of Motlop, Durdin and E. Hollands. Motlop needs to keep hitting the scoreboard, Durds needs to stay more involved defensively while still crumbing well, and Hollands should replace Fantasia as soon as he's selected.
Cotts massively underrated by many, and while I'm open to him being "upgraded" I think it's a pipe dream that you'll find a player with his dedication, workrate and versatility, but with an elite skill ceiling, who will play for the kind of moderate salary he's on. You've gotta have some blokes on low salaries, and defensive forward/wing rotation is as good a spot for them as any.

Hewett does look like the mid who could be dropped, but on balance I think his willingness to sacrifice his game for the good of the group is invaluable. You don't get that from a ball-hunter like Macrae.
Great call on Cottrell. He certainly isn't an elite kick but he is a good kick for goal and plays within his limitations and doesn't turnover the ball a lot.

His workrate, defensive ability and the propensity to bob up for a goal or two is underrated. Could certainly do worse if he's your 20-23rd best player.

Our next midfield target needs to be pacey and a very good ball user. Someone along the lines of gulden. Very hard to find anything near what gulden brings to the table but someone as close to him is what we need.

Could argue we have Walsh but for whatever reason he does like to bomb it long. Maybe be as a result of the way our team generally plays ā€¦and thatā€™s how heā€™s learned to play perhapsā€¦maybe itā€™s the coaches instructions?

Our next midfield target needs to be pacey and a very good ball user. Someone along the lines of gulden. Very hard to find anything near what gulden brings to the table but someone as close to him is what we need.

Could argue we have Walsh but for whatever reason he does like to bomb it long. Maybe be as a result of the way our team generally plays ā€¦and thatā€™s how heā€™s learned to play perhapsā€¦maybe itā€™s the coaches instructions?
Walsh isn't an elite kick, he's a fantastic link player and ball winner. Very good decision maker too but his strength isn't his kicking like Gulden's is.

Realistically McCluggage would be a perfect target if he wasn't so high in demand regarding how much he'd cost in a bidding war. Think our best chance of adding elite kicks is across the half forward line where they don't cost nearly as much as a Rolls Royce mid like McCluggage.

Right now we just have to hope E.Hollands, Moir, Fantasia and Motlop can show enough improvement this year that we don't need to address it in the off season. Still think we lack an elite kick forward of centre outside of H and Charlie though.

You did not disprove any of my statements or add anything to the conversation.

I stated the players which were in our bottom 6 players, hence this is often an area where we could find improvement.

So if you disagree with my statement, feel free to make an alternate suggestion on which areas we should like to improve with regards to list development.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back