List Mgmt. 2024 List Mgmt

Remove this Banner Ad

So 27 is the magical number is it ,

If we are going to do a knock down rebuild that is the age bracket to lose players from. Letting Gresham go when he was one of the few in the mid age tier was weird list management. It was apparently to make cap space but we've made ourselves so unattractive that we'd need to pay more to replace him than we've got back for him.

Is he even that good? We just assume because he's not been sacked. We set a low bar at St Kilda.
We assume he is good given the ranking of our defence and defensive system which he designed, as well as the individual improvement we've seen from almost all our defenders since working directly under him.

If we are going to do a knock down rebuild that is the age bracket to lose players from. Letting Gresham go when he was one of the few in the mid age tier was weird list management. It was apparently to make cap space but we've made ourselves so unattractive that we'd need to pay more to replace him than we've got back for him.
We've already replaced Gresham with Henry and/or Collard.

Last edited:
Gresham has looked alright at the Bombers, but they are up and about and that helps him.

Not fussed at all losing Gresh.

So we freed about $1.5 million by getting rid of Gresh and JB.

Whose salaries are they paying?

Henry maybe half that, surely Dow isn't on a sizable salary?

Gresham has looked alright at the Bombers, but they are up and about and that helps him.

Not fussed at all losing Gresh.

If they keep selling off players next year you’ll all say the same thing. We’ll be bottom of the ladder and we’ll excuse them again.

And now we are so bad no one will want in so we’ll pay the youth too much and need to unload them because they are paid too much in 2 years.

Players like Sinclair/Wilkie/ Steele/Marshall/Higgins would all have had money brought forward in their deals to use what was freed up and open more space for any future players we bring in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And now we are so bad no one will want in so we’ll pay the youth too much and need to unload them because they are paid too much in 2 years.

Yes, I've seen this story before for us ... twice in the last 15 years.

Offload some well paid players to pay our youth and strengthen our "warchest", our form then drops completely ... now we can't use our "warchest" to get anyone decent so we overpay some GOP or a superannuation seeker to come to us.

A vicious circle.

Players like Sinclair/Wilkie/ Steele/Marshall/Higgins would all have had money brought forward in their deals to use what was freed up and open more space for any future players we bring in.
Also Wilkie, Sinclair and Higgins got 4 year deals last year so I assume that's where some of the cap space would have gone to as well.

Yes, I've seen this story before for us ... twice in the last 15 years.

Offload some well paid players to pay our youth and strengthen our "warchest", our form then drops completely ... now we can't use our "warchest" to get anyone decent so we overpay some GOP or a superannuation seeker to come to us.

A vicious circle.
Gresham and Billings both wanted out

Billings had a contract

Acres wanted to stay

Gresham could have been matched.
Matching Gresham wouldnt have changed anything. If anything, we got a better pick in the exchange from the way we handled it.

Acres was 5 years ago and he's not even at the club we traded him too since they didn't value his performance that highly. He's a good player but he also play a position we have depth and players consistently performing in.

I wasn't really in favor of getting rid of Gresh, he's a good player but I'm not sure he was worth the asking price.

You have to have someone to spend the money on and the reason we over paid him is because he was paid like a star before he was one. It's a repeating pattern.

Being a bottom 4 side is going to make it hard to attract anyone except maybe a Rory Lobb or some old journeyman that wants star money himself.

Matching Gresham wouldnt have changed anything. If anything, we got a better pick in the exchange from the way we handled it.

Acres was 5 years ago and he's not even at the club we traded him too since they didn't value his performance that highly. He's a good player but he also play a position we have depth and players consistently performing in.

We picked up Collard who a the moment isn't even guaranteed to want to commit long term.

Acres roomed with Hogan and some other guy in Freo. He didn't stand a chance to be consistently good there. His last game for Freo was great, many on this board wanted him back after his stint at Freo.

Getting rid of Acres was a salary cap decision as he was one of those players they thought was overpaid - compared to output.

This is consistent with the comment I made previously about getting rid of players to free up salary cap.

TBH I think Gresh wanted to get rid of us.

• Cashed Up
  • Big Games / Monster Crowds
  • Club On The March
  • Playing Good Footy

Looks like a master stroke on his behalf. Good luck to him.
Yeh we COULD have matched but when the player really wants out and you get decent compo i say let em walk. Weve got enough engrained cultural issues without the big eyebrowed campaigner stirring up shit.

And? That doesn't change that Gresham wanted out and putting enough pressure on Essendon to get us that band 2 compo was the right decision for the club.

You know why ... because the bloke can play decent football and had some X-factor which we lack.

Relationships are always repairable especially if you treat people the right way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back