List Mgmt. 2024 List Mgmt

Remove this Banner Ad

You know why ... because the bloke can play decent football and had some X-factor which we lack.

Relationships are always repairable especially if you treat people the right way.
He didn't want to play for us and as a Free Agent, had the right to leave. We got the best deal we could for a player of his quality.

He didn't want to play for us and as a Free Agent, had the right to leave. We got the best deal we could for a player of his quality.

Thats a shame because we are a weaker team without him. Would have won the game on Saturday if he was still with us.

So whats your take on Billings then....

Thats a shame because we are a weaker team without him. Would have won the game on Saturday if he was still with us.

So whats your take on Billings then....
We probably would have if he played but he didn't want to be here so it's good he's gone. We don't need players who aren't invested in taking us forward.

I like Billings but leaving was the only way to get his career back on track. Mutal parting that was best for both parities who needed a fresh start from each other. I hope to see him feature in Melbourne best 22 in September.

So we freed about $1.5 million by getting rid of Gresh and JB.

Whose salaries are they paying?

Henry maybe half that, surely Dow isn't on a sizable salary?
Jb and Coff on $500k each and Gresh $650k+
Less I'd say $2-250k we're paying for JB still.
On top there's several others that took a pay cut like Seb and Jones, and several to come like Doogs and Hill.
I reckon $1M maximum between Dow and Henry and another $500k-ish.
Makes about $1M in savings this year and possibly $1.5-2M next year.
Battle will get some, the rest goes into front loading to clear a big hole. Player X will get a huge deal front loaded by those savings then settle in on $8-900k PA. At least that's how it's supposed to work.

One positive with having a rubbish start to the year is in two weeks time the MSD is held. When as reported we put Van Es on the LTI list we will have a decent look at bringing in a player the recruiters are interested in. With the amount of sucessful stories clubs have had in the MSD, in past years it was irritating watching our club pass even when they had list spots available.

Hopefully our recruiters have done the work and have a good prospect in mind. It was reported in the media we are looking at a kid from Old Brighton VAFA Max Benier and had him play for Sandringham yesterday. He only had the 5 disposals and looked a bit off the pace, but that is expected with a first game at the level. One thing about him is he is a physical specimen and when he tackles he hits with a real purpose.

One positive with having a rubbish start to the year is in two weeks time the MSD is held. When as reported we put Van Es on the LTI list we will have a decent look at bringing in a player the recruiters are interested in. With the amount of sucessful stories clubs have had in the MSD, in past years it was irritating watching our club pass even when they had list spots available.

Hopefully our recruiters have done the work and have a good prospect in mind. It was reported in the media we are looking at a kid from Old Brighton VAFA Max Benier and had him play for Sandringham yesterday. He only had the 5 disposals and looked a bit off the pace, but that is expected with a first game at the level. One thing about him is he is a physical specimen and when he tackles he hits with a real purpose.
The guy we are interested at bring in touched the ball 3 times at vfl level. Wasn’t the best audition

And? That doesn't change that Gresham wanted out and putting enough pressure on Essendon to get us that band 2 compo was the right decision for the club.

Not sure it was him. Stavro was suggesting we were wanting to get his compo to use in the draft.

We probably would have if he played but he didn't want to be here so it's good he's gone. We don't need players who aren't invested in taking us forward.

I like Billings but leaving was the only way to get his career back on track. Mutal parting that was best for both parities who needed a fresh start from each other. I hope to see him feature in Melbourne best 22 in September.

I doubt anyone wants to be here right now. Do we start again?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure it was him. Stavro was suggesting we were wanting to get his compo to use in the draft.
Gresh said he wanted to play at a big club with marquee games at the MCG. That's not us.

I doubt anyone wants to be here right now. Do we start again?
We lost and it sucks.We need to improve. But every player isn't going to be rushing out the door because of it. The dramatics around it are a bit much even from you.

Gresh said he wanted to play at a big club with marquee games at the MCG. That's not us.

We lost and it sucks.We need to improve. But every player isn't going to be rushing out the door because of it. The dramatics around it are a bit much even from you.

We are probably the third worst side in the AFL this year. Going full Smithers isn't my thing.

Ross Lyon promised that we'd be proud of them due to effort under him. I'm not. Not only does finals in 2024 look gone but it's hard to see anything but another painful 2025. We look a worse side that last year and get younger next year. If these kids don't come on we are going to have to start again.

I'm happy for you to have zero standards and expectation but it's not for me.

I am really hoping this is the year we do a Melbourne and end up bottom 3 or 4, pick up a gun mid, and bounce back hard next year. But we are st kilda, so I have no faith in anything.
Looks like smilie will be gone at 1, hopefully Richmond take a key position player if they have pick 2. Then we have a raffle of O'Sullivan, smith, morreas, Lalor, Draper. Think O'Sullivan is my early preferred choice. I am seriously worried that collard isn't going to hang around long, we just don't seem the most attractive place for a young indigenous west Aussie. Cold miserable Melbourne weather, playing for a small, shambles of a club, and being made sub on debut without a chance to prove yourself. If we were going backwards but playing attractive footy, I could cop it, but we seem to have reverted back to the old Ross Lyon park the bus style of play, which doesn't win many games, let alone premierships. I love steeley as a player, but I think he seriously lacks as a captain, but don't really see another clear option in the short term. As bad as it sounds, I hope we don't scrape to 10th or 11th on the ladder, causing us to miss out on the top echelon of mids again.

We are probably the third worst side in the AFL this year. Going full Smithers isn't my thing.

Ross Lyon promised that we'd be proud of them due to effort under him. I'm not. Not only does finals in 2024 look gone but it's hard to see anything but another painful 2025. We look a worse side that last year and get younger next year. If these kids don't come on we are going to have to start again.

jqQ6V0b.gif

I hate to be a doom sayer but I’m really struggling to see a way out of the position we’re in. We really needed our young core to kick the door down this year and they have all gone backwards, aside from probably Windhager, who has shown some signs of development. Overall our squad looks poor and totally devoid of confidence. What was looking like a promising year of improvement has quickly spiralled into an embarrassment.

Our forwards currently look as bad as - if not worse - than our midfield.. which is quite an achievement. Aside from our backline, we are truly awful. Absolutely unwatchable. We were 16th for inside 50 conversions last year and it has broken down even further this year. To me, that’s on Robert Harvey and the forward coaching team. What the hell are they working on in training that leads to the kinds of performances we have seen of late?

I feel like we have no choice but to bottom out, finish bottom 4 then move someone like Battle on and hope for Band 1 compo. We need the elite talent coming through. We are nowhere near where we need to be and can’t keep finishing midtable. Hope we can turn it around but just can’t see it.

Sorry for the rant. I’m finding supporting us to be so tiresome. I’m exhausted and sad in equal measure.

It's not having zero standards or expectations, it's being realistic.

There is shit clubs every single year yet we dont have massive amounts of a single playing group walking out of them every year. We will get a better draft pick, add to the already good group of young players we have, potentially add another senior player and go again.

Are we winning a premiership in the next 4 years?

If we aren’t then some hard decisions need to be made on some of the following while they offer value to another club.
Ross
Membrey
Marshall
Steele
Sinclair
Wilkie
Howard
Crouch
Webster

All would be 32+ in 4 seasons and most at the point of decline. To me Wilkie, Sinclair and Steele need to be retained. Marshall plays a position that can be replaced with someone serviceable and potentially a better tap ruck without impairing team performance greatly.

I get we can’t cut/trade them all but we do need to be aggressive to acquire talent 25 and under. Our assigned draft picks aren’t taking us to the promised land alone.

Time to be aggressive at trade and delisting. Too many players play two years to long at our club.
Unfortunately half of those would net very little from other clubs. Membrey and Ross would be late third rounders at best.
You will also get unders for Steel and Marshall. Better to keep them.

It’s crazy people think that trading out all our senior core all at once for draft picks that may or may not yield successful players, is absolutely mind boggling.

What happens if those draft picks get stuffed up? Then you’re rebuilding for 10+ years. Add an extra 5 years if this is done while Tassie enters the competition.

My gut feel is that the club won’t select anyone in the mid season draft, regardless if a spot opens up or not.

One reason I think this is that in the past the Saints haven’t been particularly active in the mid season draft, excluding the year they took Sharman and Heath.

If they keep selling off players next year you’ll all say the same thing. We’ll be bottom of the ladder and we’ll excuse them again.
Gringo (and anyone else), if we'd kept Gresham and Billings instead of letting them go to rival clubs, do you think we'd be:

A. higher up the ladder?
B. a stronger team?
C. playing more attractive football?
D. in a better position for the short-term?
E. in a better position for the next 4 years until they retire?
F. in a better position long term?

Do you think the Dons or Dees would be:
G. lower down the ladder?
H. a weaker team?
I. playing less attractive football?
J. in a worse position for the short-term?
K. in a worse position for the next 4 years until they retire?
L. in a worse position long term?

Players leave clubs all the time. Good players. Clubs in the window with big possibilities for negative consequences. It doesn't seem to negatively affect their future, provided its not loads of players en masse (Cough NORF cough) and their voids are filled from the squad, trades or the draft.

We all hung shit on Collingwood trading out Stephenson, Treloar, etc but who's laughing now?

On the other hand we've managed to keep most of our players until they've retired or been delisted - has that strong group cohesion had any positive benefits to our club? Hard to say but I certainly can't see many, put it that way.

Getting the culture right and keeping the squad dog hungry seems far more important to a club's progression.

Having said that, I have this fear running down my spine that Jack Steele will be the new Luke Ball...

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back