Draft Profile 2024 Mid Season draft prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

For the life of me I can’t find any write ups or info on the young guns v vm game. Does anyone know where there are any BF reviews at least?
bloody frustrating aint it

wouldn't mind watching a replay but alas. nothing

bloody frustrating aint it

wouldn't mind watching a replay but alas. nothing

checks post, checks comment, checks upload time

original comment checks out as appropriate

play on

Any young tall forwards showing anything?
Patrick Weckert has started the season very well for the Eagles in the SANFL. Didn't look up to league level last year, but looks very likely so far this year. Adam D'Aloia, who was highly rated as a junior but was unlucky not to be drafted, is also consistently among the best as an in and under midfielder at league level. Perhaps they consider Weckert a little small for a KPF, or D'Aloia not a good enough kick? There is plenty to like about both though.

Luke Beecken is one to watch. A running half back/wingman. Good skills, pace and size, penetrating player at the top of his game. At 22 yo, clubs could do worse than pick him up in the mid-season draft.

I recorded the stats for the Young Guns v Vic Metro game, so if anyone would be interested, the spreadsheet is linked.

Important to note that:
  • I've messed up some of the rebound 50 numbers by counting redundants.
  • The intercept possessions are literal intercepting possessions, so any time a possession is won by from the opposing team, it isn't necessarily an intercept possession.
  • Ignore the spoil numbers.
  • It was a low tackling game (due to turnovers), but I believe I've undersold some of those numbers by being too stingy in defining a tackle.

The rest should be at a fairly low margin of error. It's been a while since I last manually kept stats so I am very rusty, lol.

Attachments

• Young Guns v Vic Metro - Stats.xlsx
    18.9 KB · Views: 57
I recorded the stats for the Young Guns v Vic Metro game, so if anyone would be interested, the spreadsheet is linked.

Important to note that:
  • The intercept possessions are literal intercepting possessions, so any time a possession is won by from the opposing team, it isn't necessarily an intercept possession.
  • It was a low tackling game (due to turnovers), but I believe I've undersold some of those numbers by being too stingy in defining a tackle.

The rest should be at a fairly low margin of error. It's been a while since I last manually kept stats so I am very rusty, lol.
good work, thanks. The game hasn't had much coverage otherwise, so this is very welcome

Important to note that:

Great work. I’m not one to make assumptions based on stats but without having a chance to watch the game yet, it doesn’t appear that too many 19 yr olds lit it up. I wonder if they will add/remove some 19yr olds for this week.

Trent McMicking knew who had taken the spectacular mark even before the commentator shouted the player’s name.
He was watching the livestream of last Sunday’s Coburg and Collingwood VFL match at the City Oval when a Magpie soared high into the air in the second quarter and brought down a grab Jeremy Howe would not have sniffed at.

McMicking had seen it before.

He knew it was new Magpie Jack Hutchinson.

“I was actually waiting for him to take one like that … four deep and up he goes and just rises over them,’’ McMicking says.

“I heard he’d taken one in a practice match. I was waiting for him to do it in a game.’’

McMicking is coach of Gippsland league club Leongatha and Hutchinson, playing for Wonthaggi, came up against his team in the 2022 and ’23 seasons.

In a Leongatha-Wonthaggi final, Hutchinson took a thrilling high mark at Moe.

Well before then, people had taken to calling him “Jumping Jack’’.

In his first season in the VFL, the 22-year-old has shown enough natural talent to come into contention for the AFL mid-season draft.

Indeed, one player agent believes he will be the No. 1 or 2 pick.

The 190cm forward has kicked seven goals from four matches, including two against Coburg, one of them from a set-shot after the soaring mark.

He’s averaged 10.7 possessions.

Hutchinson and teammate Ryan Sparkes moved to Melbourne and signed with the VFL Magpies at the encouragement of their Wonthaggi coach, Collingwood premiership player Jarryd Blair.

Living at South Yarra, he is juggling football with his work as a chippie.

McMicking has taken an interest in Hutchinson’s season and believes the “bits and pieces’’ he has displayed represent enough potential to prompt an AFL club to draft him next month.

“I actually think he’s a better high forward than a deep forward, even though he takes the hangers,’’ he says. “He’s got the tank and the athleticism to play further up the ground at a higher level, I reckon, a wing or forward flank.

“If he was able to become a full-time, professional athlete/footballer, he’d improve on what he’s got, which I reckon is everything you need to play at the level.

“Imagine if he didn’t have to go to work at seven in the morning, go home at four in the afternoon and then go to footy.’’

Not long after Hutchinson began training at Collingwood, Pies veteran Tom Wilson sent CODE Sports a message: “This kid can play.’’

Wilson, a five-time best and fairest at the Northern Bullants, says his teammate “has definitely got attributes’’.

“He’s got speed. The most impressive thing with him is how explosive he is. He gets from Point A to Point B really quickly,’’ Wilson says.

“The other part I love about him is there’s so much more room for growth in him – being in a full-time training environment would clearly speed up the process - and being able to utilise the attributes that he’s got. He’s exciting, and he’s got game sense to go with it.’’

Wilson calls Hutchinson a “quiet, unassuming, humble kid’’ with a resolve to “get better every day’’.

“He’s got some expectations of himself. Not that he projects it outwardly to the group, but you can tell he’s a pretty determined kid,’’ he says.

The right-footer started his football at Inverloch-Kongwak in the West Gippsland league, reaching the senior team in 2019.

Crossing to the stronger Gippsland league, he booted 38 goals for Wonthaggi Power in 2022 and was named in the team of the year.

He booted another 34 goals last year.

Wonthaggi president Peter Liddle is not surprised that Hutchinson has gained attention early in the VFL season.

“He’s got the X-factor,’’ he says.

“When he’s on, he’s on. Great kid, real good kid. He and young Sparkes are both good kids.’’

Inverloch-Kongwak coach Tom Hams played with Hutchinson in 2021, when the young Sea Eagle was named on a forward flank in the West Gippsland team of the year.

When Hams learned Hutchinson was joining Collingwood this season, he had a bet with a mate that he would be drafted this year.

Chances are he might get an early pay-out.

Hams says Hutchinson is a “late bloomer – he wasn’t that tall when he was younger – and stacked full of raw talent’’.

He watched him play in the Gippsland grand final last year.

“Wonthaggi didn’t have a great game but he had an ‘almost’ game where, if a few things had gone the other way, he could have dragged them along and brought them a lot closer than the end result,’’ Hams says.

Noting his former teammate’s rise from West Gippsland to Gippsland and now to the VFL and potentially an AFL list, he says Hutchinson is “one of those players who goes up with every level’’.

“They get better. The game’s more about instinct and ‘Hutchy’s’ best footy is played on instinct. He’s a super-exciting talent, super-raw, and he’ll only get better in a professional system.’’

McMicking was an assistant coach under Gary Ayres at VFL club Port Melbourne when he first encountered Hutchinson.

He saw him play twice for Inverloch-Kongwak in 2021, was impressed and arranged for him to train at Port.

“I rang ‘Ayresy’ and the crew and said, ‘We’ve got to get this kid down’,’’ McMicking recalls.

“He was jumping out of the ground playing as a high forward and just dominating.

“He trained with us on Tuesday nights – and we nearly played him in one of the games. Then Covid kicked in and the season fell over.’’
When McMicking was appointed coach of Leongatha in 2022, he was keen to recruit Hutchinson, but Wonthaggi won his signature.

“You were always extremely nervous coaching against him, because you didn’t know what he was going to do,’’ he says.

“He was capable of anything. He showed that in the second semi last year when he kicked four goals in pretty ordinary conditions and won the game for them. With this kid, nothing surprises me.’’
Article from Paul Amy in Codesports on mid season prospect Jack Hutchinson

Important to note that:

Same issue with Geordie every time. DE.

The magical number players need to hit is 80%. That’s when they’re a better chance to make it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jez McLennan would be worth a try to replace Milera at the Crows (and they also have Smith on life support) or for Coleman at the Lions

Not sure why Jacob Kennerley from Norwood isn’t being mentioned in dispatches. 23 year old quick skilled on-baller who is also the captan.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back