Draft Profile 2024 Mid Season draft prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

Oskar Smartt is an early smokie for me. Very clever around goals and applies good pressure.
Hopefully gets a look in. Had a bit to do with him at the Pioneers last year.
Couple of mature agers playing for them this year - Oliver Poole, Taj Bond and the captain Dayten Uerata.
Dayten Uerata was particularly impressive on the weekend. Navigates congestion really well for somebody who is not a big body.

Phoenix Spicer has had a good start to the season at Footscray. Given their history of picking up their own players as rookies (Scott, Gardner, McComb, Hayes, Poulter), wouldn’t be surprised if he’s taken at this rate

Watched Sandy v Oakleigh today. Sandy won easily, but what caught my attention the most is how bad Oakleigh is, just a total rabble. Went a listened to 1/4 and 3/4 time huddles to see what was what and I’m convinced that the Oakleigh coaches are plain awful and haven’t instilled anything slightly resembling a game plan or strategy so when things start to fall apart they have nothing to fall back on. Last week it was attack the corridor, this week it kick it long and by the looks on some of the players faces and the end results I would guess neither has been trained. I know one of the families of a kid at OC and they are furious.
It’s probably gotten to the point already that AFL Vic intervene and clean the place up as some kids are going to see their dreams fade away due to incompetent management

Watched Sandy v Oakleigh today. Sandy won easily, but what caught my attention the most is how bad Oakleigh is, just a total rabble. Went a listened to 1/4 and 3/4 time huddles to see what was what and I’m convinced that the Oakleigh coaches are plain awful and haven’t instilled anything slightly resembling a game plan or strategy so when things start to fall apart they have nothing to fall back on. Last week it was attack the corridor, this week it kick it long and by the looks on some of the players faces and the end results I would guess neither has been trained. I know one of the families of a kid at OC and they are furious.
It’s probably gotten to the point already that AFL Vic intervene and clean the place up as some kids are going to see their dreams fade away due to incompetent management
wrong thread young whipper snapper

go and copy and paste it in the draft threads

An outside option for a mid draft selection would be 19 year old Dayten Uerata.
Kid was adjudged BOG yesterday against the Murray Bushrangers.
Had 18 disposals and kicked two goals after 18 disposals last week.
Despite not being a big possession getter he is an inate ability to navigate heavy traffic and his upper body strength belies his relatively small frame.
Speaking to his mother it sounds like a couple of clubs are making inquiries but he's doing everything right (with his leadership as well) to potentially have a look in mid-season.
Dayten Uerata 1.jpg Dayten Uerata 2.jpg
Dayten Uerata 3.jpg Dayten Uerata 6.jpg
Dayten Uerata 5.jpg

kobe ryan, ex gws academy player sam frost and adam d'aloia all stood out the most from the eagles vs west game i thought in terms of guys potentially getting a look in at the msd.

Tom Hanily had a huge game as a 19-year-old for Gippsland. What you would hope for after an injury interrupted top-age year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes Andrew Gaff and Matt Priddis two examples.

However the game went past those type of players several years ago. Unfortunately the modern game is all about speed and players get exposed too easily if they lack it.
Tay Adams and mitchell too. But yeah, I agree, the game is getting faster, which doesnt help those type of players.

Watching the rise of a 21 yr old kid called Wilson Barry in the SANFL for central districts who moved there from Brisbane VFL, and loving the work of 19 yr old Ben Hopkins back at Dandy.

Haven't minded the look of Richmond VFL's small forward Mo Yassine, lightning quick and agile.
secret smell GIF

Phoenix Spicer has had a good start to the season at Footscray. Given their history of picking up their own players as rookies (Scott, Gardner, McComb, Hayes, Poulter), wouldn’t be surprised if he’s taken at this rate
He's been mentioned a lot on the Bulldogs board as our most likely candidate.
We do prefer players who "know our system" at the MSD.

There are currently 13 potential open spots, following season-ending injuries to Adelaide's Wayne Milera and North Melbourne's Callum Coleman-Jones on the weekend.

All 18 AFL clubs had the opportunity to put names forward for Saturday's game at Stratarama Stadium in Glenelg ahead of the 2024 Mid-Season Rookie Draft.

Former North Melbourne and Western Bulldogs defender Lachie Young is attracting interest after crossing to Carlton's VFL program since being delisted last September.

Ex-Collingwood wingman Trent Bianco is also in the hunt for a second chance after moving to Footscray during the off-season, where he has made a fast start and will play on the weekend alongside former Magpies teammate Callum Brown.

Campbell Hustwaite spent the pre-season training with Craig McRae's program but was overlooked for a rookie contract at the end of the pre-season supplemental selection period, moving to the Casey Demons, where clubs, including Essendon, have kept tabs on his progress.

Former Hawthorn midfielder Ned Long also trained with Collingwood across the pre-season after joining the Magpies' VFL program and is set to press his case for a second chance in Glenelg.

Hugh Dixon has made a bright start to life at Southport after six years in Perth where he played for Fremantle, East Fremantle and West Coast and could be a consideration mid-year for clubs looking for key forward relief. Richmond and North Melbourne could be in the market.

Delisted Sun Brodie McLaughlin won't play for the VFL side this weekend due to injury, but is another name being monitored after Melbourne considered him at the end of last year.

Southport recruit Ben Jepson, Frankston vice-captain George Grey and Werribee half-back Louis Pinnuck are some of the other players recruiters are monitoring in the early stages of 2024.

The Croweaters have selected a side stacked full of proven SANFL stars, including James Rowe, Liam McBean, Riley Knight, Lachie Hosie, Casey Voss and Mitch O'Neill.

Norwood forward Jackson Callow played three games for Hawthorn in 2022 after being selected in the 2021 Mid-Season Rookie Draft and is one name being followed right now.

I thought Cooper Trembath was outstanding for Eastern in round 1, close to BOG. Completely dominant in the air and his positioning was excellent. Teams are always after intercepting defenders.

Hopefully he gets to show what he can do at VFL level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back