List Mgmt. 2024 Mid Season Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

The only thing I see with Beggy is that his timing is out in the ruck contest. The other thing is that he doesn't present down the line as much as he should and when he does, he doesn't have the size or marking skills. His work around the ground is very good and that's why he's already tasted AFL action. He hasn't been required at AFL level since Frampton came in. Many players look tired from contest to contest but it doesn't mean they don't have a second or third effort. The only qusetion with begg is where does he fit
I think we can all agree Begg and Steene should be playing on ball with Cox in the ruck.

Cox tapping it down to Steene or Begg

The only thing I see with Beggy is that his timing is out in the ruck contest. The other thing is that he doesn't present down the line as much as he should and when he does, he doesn't have the size or marking skills. His work around the ground is very good and that's why he's already tasted AFL action. He hasn't been required at AFL level since Frampton came in. Many players look tired from contest to contest but it doesn't mean they don't have a second or third effort. The only qusetion with begg is where does he fit
My view is that you'd be better off playing Ned Long in the ruck. He'll also lose the hitouts, but hold his ground in some contests and be even better at the follow up work than Begg.

Ok finally watched the second game.

The standouts for me were:

Tarkyn O’Leary - Again pace to burn. Whether that be tucking the ball under the arm along the wing or applying tackles and defensive pressure. Could see him really suiting our game style. Has real goal sense too with a couple of snap goals and a missed set shot from a mark running back to goal.

Oskar Smartt - First half was great as a balanced mid. Extracted the ball from contested situations. Bit hard to tell, but I think he moved to half forward for the remainder of the game where he provided great link up. Even though his disposal did let him down occasionally. Lacks a bit of pace, but reminds me of a player like Callum Mills.

Tobyn Murray - Clear BOG for me. Really should have mentioned him during the first game too. Sure he is only 180cms, but as a midfielder he is just so clean and composed with the ball, a great extractor, and runs both ways. Also has the ability to play forward and knows where the goals are based on his VFL form (4 goals in a his last game). There were shades of Caleb Serong (who is exactly the same height) in the way he extracts the ball, but is a much better kick. He might actually be my preferred pick after watching both games. The ideal Collingwood 6 footer.

Will McLachlan - Not overly prolific again, but just does some nice things that shows he has something. His spring is particularly noticeable. Took a ripping contested intercept mark and slotted the goal. Even though he is obviously showing a lot as a forward in the u18’s, he has traits that could mean he would also make a great intercepting defender.

Last edited:
Anyone got Herald Sun access?

Just found this article that has the stats and SuperCoach points from the first match but it’s behind the paywall.

Edit - actually thanks to oxam15 he has already done the hard work for anyone interested. Impressive stuff mate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Teakle has had a great season so far and it wouldn't surprise me if we took him back.
If Cameron gets injured, as it stands we’d have no option but to move Frampton into the ruck and bring back dean.

We already had a look at him, seems to be playing sold, albeit in the WAFL, would be cheap depth at the very worst.

If Cameron gets injured, as it stands we’d have no option but to move Frampton into the ruck and bring back dean.

We already had a look at him, seems to be playing sold, albeit in the WAFL, would be cheap depth at the very worst.
Already knows some of the inner workings at the club and to be honest, he'd be handy in the square, bringing the ball to ground, he's a big boy and can take a mark

There's been about 2 AFL senior players come out of that draft. Unless you're a bottom team that has the first pick of a kid who has suddenly jumped a level I wouldn't bother with it at all - except as emergency depth - I'd be going a ruck this year for that reason.
I see MSD as mostly about players that could play in the short term. We've had three who've done that (Noble, AJ, Carmichael).

These players will always have weaknesses and question marks, but if you get a player who can fit into the senior side at some point, you've got yourself an extra option. That's the goal.

Given the pickings are so slim I think position is less of a concern than attitude and ability. I don't think our ruck stocks are so low as to have to take one. There are several player types that could fit into our team at some point, like our MSD picks have and say Markov has.

I see MSD as mostly about players that could play in the short term. We've had three who've done that (Noble, AJ, Carmichael).

These players will always have weaknesses and question marks, but if you get a player who can fit into the senior side at some point, you've got yourself an extra option. That's the goal.

Given the pickings are so slim I think position is less of a concern than attitude and ability. I don't think our ruck stocks are so low as to have to take one. There are several player types that could fit into our team at some point, like our MSD picks have and say Markov has.
I'd usually agree with you and not want us to use it for short term depth in a specific role, but with McStay and Steene out, Murphy gone AJ struggling and Kreuger and Begg looking unlikely, I think we'll take a big hit to our chances if Cox or Cameron get injured.

Dean is going alright in the VFL and Eyre should be fit soon, but I wouldn't want to move Frampton, which is what we'd have to do.

Teakle has had a great season so far and it wouldn't surprise me if we took him back.
It depends on why they didn't add him, but it just seems right to add a tall who trained with us over summer and should have an idea of our system. We need the depth.

We're currently playing one less tall than we did last year and Dean is our only one in the VFL who looks likely and he got monstered in contests in his AFL games.

They might feel that things change when/if McStay and Eyre are fit, and saying the name Brynn Teakle would be pretty embarrassing. It's a ridiculous name, but say it Dekka.

Last edited:
Given we only add players in MSD we see for the long term, I don't think we'd add someone for 6 months.
I think we've only used the draft 3 times before and we were in a different list situation in each of those years and also had a different footy department.

It was interesting that we announced an initial plan of keeping a spot open for it this year, which hasn't been our norm. We didn't end up doing that but may have known that Murphy returning was not going to happen by the time we added the three rather than 2 SSP players.

Who knows why we wanted to keep an option open for it? It may have been for short term insurance if we needed a particular player type.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back