Preview 2024 Rd 11 Carlton vs Gold Coast Saturday 25th May 1:45PM AEST @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN:
A.Saad, L.Cowan, L.Fogarty

OUT: C.Durdin (Omitted), M.Pittonet (Finger), C.Marchbank (Managed)

Backs:Adam SaadJacob WeiteringLachie Cowan
Half-backs:Brodie KempMitch McGovernNic Newman
Centreline:Ollie HollandsPatrick CrippsBlake Acres
Half-forwards:Zac WilliamsHarry McKayElijah Hollands
Forwards:Orazio FantasiaCharlie CurnowMatthew Owies
Followers:Tom De KoningSam WalshMatthew Kennedy
Interchange:Jordan BoydJack CarrollAlex Cincotta
Lachie FogartyGeorge Hewett
Emergencies:Jaxon BinnsCorey DurdinLewis Young

Last edited:
That is a big effort ODN - don't know if you ever use slow ,motion - that is even more telling in certain plays as to who is doing what and who is not doing the other thing etc...

I think Kennedy switched to forwards when Heeney was moved their forward line - I thought it was a conscious move by Longmuir similar to Goodwin - moving Peracca the previous week as Kennedy had him covered in the CBB and general play. No doubt both Petracca and Heeney have Kennedy covered for leg speed - but equally no doubt Kennedy has most one on ones covered in the clinches and ground ball hard ball game - Kennedy seems to get criticised for not being what he isnt supposed to be....and his positives ignored because - reasons.

Kinda the way I saw it too. Kennedy was holding Heeney well, so Heeney got switched forward.

It was telling when Ejijah and Durds went to the centre bounce. We lack pace and Walsh was struggling. Kennedy plays his role very well and his one percenter bumps and shepherds are underrated. Always takes a body with him.

Last edited:
Kinda the way I saw it too. Kennedy was hokding Heeney well, so Heeney got switched forward.

It was telling when Ejijah and Durds went to the centre bounce. We lack pace and Walsh was struggling. Kennedy plays his role very well and his one percenter bumps and shepherds are underrated. Always takes a body with him.

The CBB situation needs fixing- Carlton are far too much Pittonet to Cripps and this allows opposition very easy set ups to cover/counter - it is really predictable stuff- share the load be less predictable and work together - Pittonet probably capable of contributing to that - but TDK is a mile off having genuine tap ability - best thing he could do is smash the ball forward and not try and find a player - two games in a row ( Collingwodo and Sydney) where Crlton was supposed to have CBB /midfield advantage but have been well beaten, now that opposition has blanketed Cripps in CBB and hard tagged Walsh to good effect.

If your two best mids arent beating their opponents - that is bad- but also speaks to other mids performances.

Did we? I bet we didn't. Our development program which we spent so much on is simply just that good.

Gman, I read the same stuff midway through last year, this win/loss analysis is really poor

I never said we should trial Binns at HF, I said if people think he can play the position at AFL level, then surely the starting point would be at VFL level first

We are missing players, it does make it hard for younger players when lacking quality around them

The CBB situation needs fixing- Carlton are far too much Pittonet to Cripps and this allows opposition very easy set ups to cover/counter - it is really predictable stuff- share the load be less predictable and work together - Pittonet probably capable of contributing to that - but TDK is a mile off having genuine tap ability - best thing he could do is smash the ball forward and not try and find a player - two games in a row ( Collingwodo and Sydney) where Crlton was supposed to have CBB /midfield advantage but have been well beaten, now that opposition has blanketed Cripps in CBB and hard tagged Walsh to good effect.

If your two best mids arent beating their opponents - that is bad- but also speaks to other mids performances.
Because of our lack of pace, we are trying desperately to keep the ball in close. Because of this, opposition rucks have worked out that they need to get the ball out wider. When we can't stop this the quicker sides turn us into witches hats and run away with the ball.

We were trying desperately to keep the ball in tight against the Swans. Problem is they are an elite tackling side so every time we won the tap, they would just smash us in the tackle, smash Cripps and either go again with the stoppage until they won it or get the ball out wide into space and simply run away from us.

Modern footy teams apply pressure with closing speed. Keeping the ball in tight, taggers, big heavy slow midfields, us for example, it's all outdated. We are an outdated midfield setup with outdated tactics. Fast paced teams navigate those tactics easily and rul all over you.

Us getting tackled every time we got it, not able to clear it. Them running and carrying the ball out of stoppages. I spent a lot of the off season going on about this and getting smashed for it. It was on display last night and we were only missing one mid.

We have a big problem with our onball group. With or without Cerra.

We badly need those modern defensive mids who apply pressure with closing speed and strong tackling and can carry the ball out of stoppages. We need these players around so our rucks can confidently get more distance and get the ball out wider so our clearance game doesn't become a tackling fest and we can actually get the ball going forward and controlled.

I've lost count of the number of times I've heard that from commentators / analysts this year. Seems we turn it on just often enough to plant the idea that our midfield is our strength, but the consistency just isn't there.

Gman, I read the same stuff midway through last year, this win/loss analysis is really poor

I never said we should trial Binns at HF, I said if people think he can play the position at AFL level, then surely the starting point would be at VFL level first

We are missing players, it does make it hard for younger players when lacking quality around them

I think you missed my point. The VFL side played today. I asked if we did trial him at half forward as you suggested. I agree picking him at half forward is a risk as he could fail as he hasn't been playing there.

I said I bet we didn't, that was a dig at our development program, which I have been super critical of because we rarely develop players in multiple positions.

Binns is dominating wing, why not give him a few games or half a game in another role like half forward so then maybe he can step in in this situation. I think that is a good idea. I'm not suggesting you do as well.

It's not win/loss analysis at all. I'm being critical of our player development.

I think you missed my point. The VFL side played today. I asked if we did trial him at half forward as you suggested. I agree picking him at half forward is a risk as he could fail as he hasn't been playing there.

I said I bet we didn't, that was a dig at our development program, which I have been super critical of because we rarely develop players in multiple positions.

Binns is dominating wing, why not give him a few games or half a game in another role like half forward so then maybe he can step in in this situation. I think that is a good idea. I'm not suggesting you do as well.

It's not win/loss analysis at all. I'm being critical of our player development.

Gman, again, I wasn't stating we should trial him at HF, the original comment was based on supporters thinking he should come in and play that role at AFL, when he "hasn't" played the roll around at VFL

Binns is a winger, nothing more, nothing less, at this stage

Some players have scope for versatility, others just don't

I've lost count of the number of times I've heard that from commentators / analysts this year. Seems we turn it on just often enough to plant the idea that our midfield is our strength, but the consistency just isn't there.
The 'real' midfield is : Cripps/Walsh/Cerra/Docherty/Kennedy/Hewett

take both Cerra and Docherty out and there is far less balance ....

Cerra was killing it against mebourne before he did his hamstring ( again) he is absolutely vital for midfield balance because whilst not a speedster has enough leg speed to cover a faster type and also take heat off Walsh - we are playing without a spare link man....

Underlines the real lack of midfield depth given injuries...Carroll is not up to the quality of the rest just yet he shows some promise and also some definite weaknesses...a work in progress - I'm sure Austin/Voss have a mid in mind or should have to add to list - just as they should have an AFL capable 2nd KPD to match up with Weitering - I'm over the flakiness of McGovern and Marchbank...

just as Austin needs to find a genuine small forward and fingers crossed Moir gets to be a replacement for Martin...

It all compounds all over the field...

and no E Hollands isnt any faster by foot than Kennedy or Hewett - believe it or not...so there is that..same as ollie they are endurance runners nto speedsters- Cottrell and Acres are teh blokes with genuine leg speed and endurance.

Now add Jack Silvagni back in teh mix and everything gets a lot easier all of a sudden ....

meh injury.

Our midfield is horribly overrated. Offensively good. But there are modern tactics that bring it undone. Teams with quicker midfields simply make sure the ball goes out wide and in space. If we keep it in close or it goes to us first teams hammer us with tackling and good closing speed.

Fortunately there are only a handful of sides who can do this to us. Sides who can't we tend to dominate. Sides who can and have modern midfield structures and tactics, we just can't beat them.

Adelaide, Collingwood and Sydney are probably the main sides who exploit us. As I have said, other sides are still adjusting their lists to the new rules which have created these new tactics so there will be more and more sides playing this way.

We are a great sides when we are getting the ball and we are good at that. We are a great side when the opposition don't have great closing speed.

What we aren't great with is applying pressure with pace and closing speed and run and carry out of the stoppages. To me this is a tactical thing that has come about because we are vulnerable when the ball comes out wide and we don't have it.

It's not an A grade midfield. We have some pretty good offensive weapons in it. We are probably one or two fast paced, modern day defensive mids away from it being A grade.

You'd love to see Billy Wilson or Cowan get going as mids. Fast legs, hard at it, get in there chase, tackle and handle the ball well when it goes out wide.

Gman, again, I wasn't stating we should trial him at HF, the original comment was based on supporters thinking he should come in and play that role at AFL, when he "hasn't" played the roll around at VFL

Binns is a winger, nothing more, nothing less, at this stage

Some players have scope for versatility, others just don't
I know you weren't saying we should trial him there. I never said you did.

I have been saying the same thing as you have the last few days. He's not getting picked there because he has only been playing wing and there hasn't been a position come up on the wing.

I am agreeing with you.

Our midfield is horribly overrated. Offensively good. But there are modern tactics that bring it undone. Teams with quicker midfields simply make sure the ball goes out wide and in space. If we keep it in close or it goes to us first teams hammer us with tackling and good closing speed.

Fortunately there are only a handful of sides who can do this to us. Sides who can't we tend to dominate. Sides who can and have modern midfield structures and tactics, we just can't beat them.

Adelaide, Collingwood and Sydney are probably the main sides who exploit us. As I have said, other sides are still adjusting their lists to the new rules which have created these new tactics so there will be more and more sides playing this way.

We are a great sides when we are getting the ball and we are good at that. We are a great side when the opposition don't have great closing speed.

What we aren't great with is applying pressure with pace and closing speed and run and carry out of the stoppages. To me this is a tactical thing that has come about because we are vulnerable when the ball comes out wide and we don't have it.

It's not an A grade midfield. We have some pretty good offensive weapons in it. We are probably one or two fast paced, modern day defensive mids away from it being A grade.

You'd love to see Billy Wilson or Cowan get going as mids. Fast legs, hard at it, get in there chase, tackle and handle the ball well when it goes out wide.
The notion of putting Cowan in there is very interesting. Could be a pleasant surprise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cowan is not remotely close to being a mid, he is a pure defender.
Wilson looks some way off senior level, Binns was almost BOG every game and didn't get a opportunity, l think we are going to have to look externally to gain some outside run.

I think that Cowan will take the game on as his confidence and role evolves

From juniors, HB, HF, wing, with some centre bounces

Where I believe he needs to improve is his composure/short game, as at the moment most of his disposal is long by foot

I think he we cement himself later this year, definitely next

In- Wilson, Binns, Motlop, Saad, Young
Out- Weitering, Marchbank, Durdin, Fantasia, Carroll

B- Newman Young Boyd
HB- Saad McGovern Kemp
C- Acres Cripps O.Hollands
HF- Williams Curnow Kennedy
F- Owies McKay Motlop
FOLL- Pittonet Hewett Walsh
I/C- E.Hollands, Binns, Cincotta, TDK
Sub-Wilson

Where I believe he needs to improve is his composure/short game, as at the moment most of his disposal is long by foot

What about Cowan lining up on the wing? OH is not impacting much outside the defensive running.

In: Motlop, Saad,

Out: Marchbank, Durdin

Sub: one of Kennedy or Hewitt - as flagged by many we need more run and I’d also play E Hollands more through the midfield and whilst he’s not quick, he’s got got lateral movement and is a lot more agile vs the bulls and I’d also play Zac in there for 3-5 min bursts per Q and lower his overall TOG to account for lack of overall match fitness. We need greater diversity through the middle and need to be less predictable to the opposition and I think E Hollands and Williams would aid with this.

What about Cowan lining up on the wing? OH is not impacting much outside the defensive running.

With Saad returning, backline is bulging

Boyd Weitering Newman
Gov Kemp/Marchbank Saad

Options Cincotta, Williams

I'd actually play Cowan as a HHF at the moment until he can build a tank

At the moment, wingmen should be Walsh, Ollie, Acres

His short game was very good today.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

With Saad returning, backline is bulging

Boyd Weitering Newman
Gov Kemp/Marchbank Saad

Options Cincotta, Williams

I'd actually play Cowan as a HHF at the moment until he can build a tank

At the moment, wingmen should be Walsh, Ollie, Acres

I like the idea of Cowan playing a lockdown offensive role. He just loves to compete. Loves to get his hands dirty. If Fog is not available I’d play him there.

In the hope that Jacob gets up and on the assumption that Fog will be another week.

In: Saad, Motlop, Cowan

Out: Durdin, Fantasia, Marchbank.

Cowan can play up forward and do a lockdown job on a Flanders. You know he will give it a 100%. Williams to remain up forward.

I doubt this will happen though. I doubt they’ll drop Marchbank.

The notion of putting Cowan in there is very interesting. Could be a pleasant surprise.
A running attacking defender making a midfield transition isn't too uncommon. Jordan Dawson comes to mind. Mind you it sounds like Moo played mid a bit as a junior anyway.

Cowan almost was responsible for stealing the VFL game today once he was moved into the midfield, he's a smart footballer, his blind turn today was one for the ages, completely turned around the Willy player and then delivered it perfectly 40 meters downfield, resulted in a goal. He was laying tackles, kicking it sixty meters with the wind. Completely wasted in the magoos....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back