Preview 2024 Rd 5 Carlton vs Adelaide Saturday April 13 4:35PM (AEST) @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

Welcome back Walshy 👍

Only 1 change:-

IN: Sam Walsh
OUT: Lachie Fogarty (suspension)

Round 5 team v Adelaide
Backs:Brodie KempJacob WeiteringNic Newman
Half-backs:Adam SaadMitch McGovernZac Williams
Centreline:Ollie HollandsPatrick CrippsBlake Acres
Half-forwards:Elijah HollandsHarry McKayMatthew Kennedy
Forwards:Orazio FantasiaCharlie CurnowMatthew Owies
Followers:Tom De KoningAdam CerraGeorge Hewett
Interchange:Jordan BoydJack CarrollMatthew Cottrell
Corey DurdinSam Walsh
Emergencies:Jaxon BinnsLachlan CowanMarc Pittonet

#WALSH100

Yeah, what exactly does Marchbank provide that means we'd play him ahead of Kemp?

Marchbank is a better spoiler perhaps, and that's it? Think Kemp intercepts just as well and despite the odd error is a faster decision maker and much better with ball in hand.

Kemp is also younger and more durable. If we want to build continuity he should be given every opportunity to build chemistry with Weiters and Gov.
I couldn’t agree more
Kemp is showing enormous potential and what do youngsters need with potential??
Not to be F around
They need continuity…
I reckon the lad will be a gun if we play our cards right
And yes….Chuck him up forward if the match warrants it at the time but no way does Marchy play before him
Crikey I feel for Marchy but he is made of balsa wood… I don’t think he offers much more than Kemp atm let alone looking into the future…

I couldn’t agree more
Kemp is showing enormous potential and what do youngsters need with potential??
Not to be F around
They need continuity…
I reckon the lad will be a gun if we play our cards right
And yes….Chuck him up forward if the match warrants it at the time but no way does Marchy play before him
Crikey I fee for Marchy but he is made of balsa wood… I don’t think he offers much more than Kemp atm let alone looking into the future…
Absolutely agree with you but Marchy always seems to be rushed back in as soon as he's available. Given that Brodie played well and shouldn't be dropped and Marchy seems quite likely to come back people are just spitballing as to where else Brodie could best serve the team. I think he has more flexibility to play multi positions than Marchy. Anyways, good problems to have.

I know exactly how I'd use Kemp. Wing who rests in the forward pocket. Exactly how we used Koutoufides in the mid 90's.

Cottrell is the ideal player for him to switch with.

You have a very quick 192 cm player who can read the game, intercept mark, drop in a hole and read the game in defence and run 14km+ in a game. Has a strong body and is good at ground level.

I thought when we drafted him that he looked like a wingman, gave that idea away due to his injuries but his fitness is very good now. He's become a good quality footballer. I'm seeing that in him again.

I think he would be an upgrade on Hollands. Gives us more dropping back in defence, up forward and in the contest. Also a more experienced footballer.

I'd be happy to see Hollands go back to the VFL and have a run of big games and earn his spot back in this team. I think this would he good for his development.

I don't think Voss is playing Kemp on a wing. He's playing the AFL's best runners on the wings. It's a central part of his game plan. Those wings make it like you have 2 extra players than the oppo constantly assisting defence then bobbing up in the goal square 1 min later.

We'd all love Kemp to be a forward, a winger or a mid.
At the moment, he is none of those things and it would take a brave coach to toss all the work they've done in educating him to play down back away in preference to him pinch hitting somewhere further up the field.
There's been some identifying exactly that approach with Kennedy as the reason he should be dropped.
I think we generally select our best 23 for the roles they play ... and just two weeks ago Marchbank was preferred to Kemp. Doesn't mean it's the right decision but I wouldn't be totally surprised if it happens again. I just hope it's not this week.

If he is sore or injured, absolutely, replace him

I just get the feeling that there is a growing prevalence amongst supporters wanting change, just for the sake of change, rather than a strong rationale
I thought dropping Owies was the definition of change for change sake.

Yeah, what exactly does Marchbank provide that means we'd play him ahead of Kemp?

Marchbank is a better spoiler perhaps, and that's it? Think Kemp intercepts just as well and despite the odd error is a faster decision maker and much better with ball in hand.

Kemp is also younger and more durable. If we want to build continuity he should be given every opportunity to build chemistry with Weiters and Gov.
Coaches obviously see a few things.
And in their defence, you don't have to look too far back to see Kemp is still working on some of the basics down back. Definite signs of improvement against Freo - so the most recent showing is cause for positivity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kemp is improving each and every week. Not sure now is the time to be dropping him. Let him keep building his confidence. Marchbank can play in the twos and get some much needed match fitness and form.

I don't think Voss is playing Kemp on a wing. He's playing the AFL's best runners on the wings. It's a central part of his game plan. Those wings make it like you have 2 extra players than the oppo constantly assisting defence then bobbing up in the goal square 1 min later.
Kemp ran over 14km on the weekend.

What’s all this kemp talk, why move him ? Boyd could play fogs role ? Is kemp the new whipping boy

And why on earth would you move McGovern?

Crazy talk imo
Third tall forward is probably the main weakness atm with Martin and JSOS injured. We've got one too many genuine AFL calibre defenders (Marchy, Gov, Kemp). Makes sense that we use one as a forward rather than potentially languishing in the 2s.

Most good sides have the luxury of a swingman.

We’re running on fumes in the third/small forward position with Martin, JSOS, Motlop, Elijah, Fog and Cuningham out. Getting really annoying.
Elijah maybe not out? wait for scans I guess. Crazy how many we keep losing in that area though. Moir could be handy in that role if Elijah out. Owies takes Fog starting spot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back