Preview 2024 Rd 5 Carlton vs Adelaide Saturday April 13 4:35PM (AEST) @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

Welcome back Walshy 👍

Only 1 change:-

IN: Sam Walsh
OUT: Lachie Fogarty (suspension)

Round 5 team v Adelaide
Backs:Brodie KempJacob WeiteringNic Newman
Half-backs:Adam SaadMitch McGovernZac Williams
Centreline:Ollie HollandsPatrick CrippsBlake Acres
Half-forwards:Elijah HollandsHarry McKayMatthew Kennedy
Forwards:Orazio FantasiaCharlie CurnowMatthew Owies
Followers:Tom De KoningAdam CerraGeorge Hewett
Interchange:Jordan BoydJack CarrollMatthew Cottrell
Corey DurdinSam Walsh
Emergencies:Jaxon BinnsLachlan CowanMarc Pittonet

#WALSH100

At a raw statistical level it's decent output for a medium forward. It's pretty much what Hayward puts out, and I and others are interested in him (pending cost).

I think the difference is that Kennedy looks like he's good for a goal a game as a forward. He's there, at some point he'll get on the end of one. Last week he got a second because of a Jordan Clarke brain fade.

But other goal-a-game forwards are bit more feast/famine. They'll have games where they kick 3-4, and others where they're well held and don't trouble the scoreboard.

Kennedy has kicked multiple goals 4 times in the last 4 and a bit seasons. Last time he kicked more than 2 was in 2019. Now his role hasn't always been as a forward, so there's some justification for that. But he's not looking like a Martin, Petracca, Heeney type who can go forward and have a day out.

As you say, limited sample size so far, so maybe he'll pull one out of the bag soon. But on the eye test, he's occupying space in the forward line, but he's not threatening a big game and it doesn't look like it's because he's dragging a quality defender away from the key forwards in a sacrificial role.
As a forward third tall, he's a very good kick and has good hands but he doesn't have the explosiveness to leap for marks or clear out of congestion and take shots on goal. He seems hampered by these deficiencies imo.

As a mid he is a bull and helps out cripps with the rough stuff. Few times we've seen him run out of the centre square after a clearance win and take a running shot. He is a long kick (an accurate). He probably lacks the explosiveness to do this on a more consistent basis. We see it with guys like dangerfield (although he is a poor kick).

I don't subscribe to that.

Often we have better options in F50 but ignore them time and again to bomb it in.

If you look for it on a replay there will be a player 30-40m out. Or the will be a player (mid/wing/hff) running into the F50 and into space from the centre square.

Sent from my SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Spot on.

So frustrating when we burn the shorter but open options and go for the long bomb instead.

This has to be on the coaches because if the long bomb isn't their plan then why haven't they addressed the issue and coached it out of the players?

I don't think we should rush into it but at some stage we should push Williams up into the midfield and/or HHF roles. He'd be our gulden/miers I reckon. Distributing the ball nicely to our forwards on a lead.

We've got enough players to slingshot off half back in saaad boyd and guv.

Yeah, not sure if Williams has the skill set to do that.

The idea of Williams was we originally recruited him to play midfield and our midfield is stacked already. Best attribute of Williams wasn't his kicking, but was to run and gun and penetrate.

If anything, Newman would be the one doing that role.

Yeah, not sure if Williams has the skill set to do that.

The idea of Williams was we originally recruited him to play midfield and our midfield is stacked already. Best attribute of Williams wasn't his kicking, but was to run and gun and penetrate.

If anything, Newman would be the one doing that role.
Never thought of Newman but agree he could be good in that role. Is a good kick. But he is probably too important in the defensive role that he plays?

I thought of Williams because we have a few others that can play the HB role.

Yeah, 4 game is a small sample size for those sort of stats.
You take away the goal for Clark swearing in the last 40 seconds, when the ball is dead and suddenly he's at 0.67 goals a game, not nearly as good.
Statistics can be deceiving, think the 'eye test' tells us that Kennedy is far more valuable to us as an inside mid.(might mean dropping Carroll to sub).
What we'd lose in midfield pace has been balanced by the inclusion of Acres, Hollands x 2, Cotts, Fanta, cameo's from the half backs etc.(TDK and Harry)

Statistics can be deceiving, think the 'eye test' tells us that Kennedy is far more valuable to us as an inside mid.(might mean dropping Carroll to sub).
What we'd lose in midfield pace has been balanced by the inclusion of Acres, Hollands x 2, Cotts, Fanta, cameo's from the half backs etc.(TDK and Harry)
He's definitely a mid rather than a forward.
I'm not sure that the others provide enough balance if Kennedy is in the guts with both Cripps and Hewett.
If he's played as the sub and comes on fresh, I think that balances it more.

I think when we're losing the centre square ball ups/clearances consistently it (obviously) stops us moving the ball quickly into F50 and get our twin talls a crack one on one...it's normally 3 on 1 by the time we get the ball forward...

Why I'd like to see Pitto back in the mix....

I hope this isn't another close game. The close ones are far too stressful. Tough to enjoy until after the final siren.. or in last week's case the double goal.

I want a nice relaxing afternoon at Marvel. Put them away early. Game over at quarter time. Bruise free second half. Comfortable 10 goal margin. And Walshy getting a few kicks.

Please and thankyou Carlton.

YES YES YES WALSHY 💙

Carlton Fc Celebration GIF by Carlton Football Club

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Murray the only one that is very promising. Tilthorpe has been slightly disappointing, Sloane is cooked and the rest are probably going to be delisted at the end of the year depending on contracts.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
don't follow the Crows closely, but I thought Milera had a very good 2023.

One of their prime movers?

Would anyone have any idea why clicking the purchase GA tickets button doesn't work (getting tickets for family members)? Surely isn't sold out...and it's not a fully ticketed game either

1712806663219.png

Very small risk of it being a danger game IF we were to play at AO.

In Melbourne, we will beat them with one leg in the air.

If you have a cat, wait till it starts cleaning itself and try grabbing it's paw when it's up in the air. They don't respond well.

Milera out for the season is a big loss for them. His form last year was a big factor in their (failed) run at finals. One of their few genuinely quick and creative players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back