AFL Player #23: Harrison Jones - God-tier Hands

Remove this Banner Ad

Can think of another hard running CHF that was never super big, just outworked his opponent. That's what Jones should be modelling his game on.

iu
He also had strong hands and a fair bit of courage.

Can't believe it's already his fifth year on the list.

I really like the one-year deal. It's now or never. Hope he makes it and he appears to have the tools, but it's high time we stop letting these guys stay on the list based off of potential. The reality is that an extremely small number of players suddenly come good after 5 years.

Show us what you've got, Jonesy.

A little deceptive.

He's completed four years as a player on the list but was held back to fill out for his first, so he's had realistically 3 years of playing potential.

And in the first of those he was pretty good and showed good signs (2021).

So two years (2022/2023) of his playing potential has been underwhelming, with the latter cruelled by injury.

Currently 22 and just a year older than Perkins, Reid and Cox.

Not saying he doesn't need to show more, and improve. But to claim that he's been somewhat of a long-term list clogger who was only around based on some fantasy potential is a little disingenuous. IMO he's been downtrodden more than most comparative to other KPF prospects at his stage and I presume it's had a little to do with our impatience when it comes to our forward woes.

Has to get his marking sorted to go forward. He has the work rate and leads up at the footy but he is only holding around 30% of the chances he gets his hand to. He is never going to be a big monster so he has to be taking marks on the lead. If he is getting 12 chances on the lead he needs to be pulling in at least 6 of them. If he can not then he is shot as a forward and dare I say it may have to be converted to defense which is less than ideal.

Has to get his marking sorted to go forward. He has the work rate and leads up at the footy but he is only holding around 30% of the chances he gets his hand to. He is never going to be a big monster so he has to be taking marks on the lead. If he is getting 12 chances on the lead he needs to be pulling in at least 6 of them. If he can not then he is shot as a forward and dare I say it may have to be converted to defense which is less than ideal.
Vindicator has his Cox teasers but this guy is my teaser! He has wheels and his pressure acts are second to none imo. I too am reminded of Nick Rewoilt when I watch him. Nick though from a very early age was sticking marks and throwing his body in no man’s land!

Good Centre half forwards are rare beasts.

I’ve watched Harrison closely and he really does get into good positions like Nick does but loses the ball in his fingers. If he can overcome that he will quickly become a dominant force.

The only reason I’m so hard on him because I rate him. I will be genuinely upset if he doesn’t make it.

A little deceptive.

He's completed four years as a player on the list but was held back to fill out for his first, so he's had realistically 3 years of playing potential.

And in the first of those he was pretty good and showed good signs (2021).

So two years (2022/2023) of his playing potential has been underwhelming, with the latter cruelled by injury.

Currently 22 and just a year older than Perkins, Reid and Cox.

Not saying he doesn't need to show more, and improve. But to claim that he's been somewhat of a long-term list clogger who was only around based on some fantasy potential is a little disingenuous. IMO he's been downtrodden more than most comparative to other KPF prospects at his stage and I presume it's had a little to do with our impatience when it comes to our forward woes.

Not really.

Will be 23 by round 1/in a month - if he doesn’t put it together this year, I think he’s in trouble.

I think it’s quite the opposite - we’ve been fairly patient. Most successful players of his type have shown a bit more by this stage of their career.

With a clean run at it, I think he can make it.

Not really.

Will be 23 by round 1/in a month - if he doesn’t put it together this year, I think he’s in trouble.

I think it’s quite the opposite - we’ve been fairly patient. Most successful players of his type have shown a bit more by this stage of their career.

With a clean run at it, I think he can make it.
Well said my man

Was better on Friday. Actually held a few marks on the lead that he was dropping the week before. 11 disposals 5 marks 4 tackles. That is getting more to the level he needs to be at. Just has to be kicking a goal a game on that output. He did however fly for the footy one handed from the side at least 5 times and totally missed the footy and the contest which was poor.

I thought Jones looked to be getting back to his mobile best, seemed to be constantly on the move and got to a lot of contests on the wing or higher up the ground. It seems he knows his role.

I want to look more closely at his field kicking, which I'm not sure about. Memory is telling me he handballs it off more when he marks up the ground?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think you might be right. He just seems to be the invisible man when he’s playing.
His only attribute right now is his ability to run and he doesn't use it well.

Atrocious today.

Desperately needs some confidence, I’d imagine he makes way for Draper next week.

Also really, really needs to learn how to keep his feet.

His only attribute right now is his ability to run and he doesn't use it well.
Well at least we only gave him one year, so it’s make or break for him this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back