Delisted #25: Ariel Steinberg

Remove this Banner Ad

The analysis of the performance of a defender has to be more than about whether there was any pressure on the ball carrier.

He is there to stop the forward not just when there is pressure on the player delivering the ball to his opponent. Isn't that the point of defenders?

Couldn't get near Petrie or Brown on the lead. His "good performances" during the season amounted to being in the way of the forward when a kick was not to his opponent's advantage.

It's not like it's personal or that he cost us the game but Steinberg is no where near good enough and there is not much to suggest that he has the capabilities of beating AFL level forwards.

I wouldn't blame Steiny on us losing thought he was OK - his best performance... pretty hard to stop a leading forward when they are getting lace out delivery...

correct. funny how Hocking & Howlett get off scott free every week. their work in the center was dreadful.

correct. funny how Hocking & Howlett get off scott free every week. their work in the center was dreadful.
Hocking played on Dal Santo all night and was not in the center a real lot. Has played a lot of footy out of the center this year running with flankers.

The analysis of the performance of a defender has to be more than about whether there was any pressure on the ball carrier.

He is there to stop the forward not just when there is pressure on the player delivering the ball to his opponent. Isn't that the point of defenders?

Couldn't get near Petrie or Brown on the lead. His "good performances" during the season amounted to being in the way of the forward when a kick was not to his opponent's advantage.

It's not like it's personal or that he cost us the game but Steinberg is no where near good enough and there is not much to suggest that he has the capabilities of beating AFL level forwards.

Sorry Bruno, do not agree. Even the best defenders can struggle when there is no pressure on the ball carrier coming in.
To say he is not good enough after 3 games, two of which he did well plus a very good VFL year playing as a way under sized defender is
simply too harsh.
He had the wrong match up to start with. At 3 games he should be the third or 4th defender not the second.

Sorry Bruno, do not agree. Even the best defenders can struggle when there is no pressure on the ball carrier coming in.
To say he is not good enough after 3 games, two of which he did well plus a very good VFL year playing as a way under sized defender is
simply too harsh.
He had the wrong match up to start with. At 3 games he should be the third or 4th defender not the second.

The problem is that he will always be undersized. He isn't going to grow and taller. Ideally you need your third key defender to be able to play on short and talls. This is one of the reasons Fletcher is so good.

simply too harsh.

If you're 10cm shorter and cannot run faster than you opponent why is it that we even think you can beat your opponent in any circumstances other than when the ball is not kicked to the advantage of your opponent?

You need KPDs, like Talia, McKenzie and McPharlin, who have the ability to wear their opponents like gloves so that they can actually beat them when the ball inevitably comes under no pressure.

None of this is to say that the defensive structure on the midfield is not the most important thing, because it is. It just doesn't mean that every defender gets a pass mark every time he plays.

Last edited:
After watching last night I think he's a fair chance to be delisted (harsh I know).

At least Essendon we have a habbit of holding onto blokes for far too long that only have the potential to be role players at best.

simply too harsh.

He was on the third tall forward.

Peterie is 1. Black, form or not, is 2.

Watched the replay, and even more dirty with the coaching move this morning. Crazy insane.

Also.. watched Steinberg closely.. he was clearly outmatched. I know it was only his third game, but he has been on the list for a while and it just looks like he is never going to make that next step.

I wouldn't delist.. but next year has to be the make or break year.

The problem is that he will always be undersized. He isn't going to grow and taller. Ideally you need your third key defender to be able to play on short and talls. This is one of the reasons Fletcher is so good.

And Fletcher is bit of a one off as well.

All i am saying to all is i am not writing Steinburg off on 3 games. He is a medium defender having to be played as a tall and his struggles have been
no different to when Myers has had to play that role or Hibberd on talls for that matter.
Not saying he is anything yet, just not putting the pen through him given he has not had a chance to play his natural position which is a half forward.

He was on the third tall forward.

Peterie is 1. Black, form or not, is 2.

Brown is the second tall. Black 192cm, Steniburg 191cm. Medium forward, medium back. Not talking pecking order although Brown has clearly been ahead there as well.

Steinberg's matchup was the difference, no doubt. But he was mismatched, can't really blame him. We just did not have anyone else to play there. Would be a bit like blaming NLM for his poor ruck work in our previous final

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After watching last night I think he's a fair chance to be delisted (harsh I know).

At least Essendon we have a habbit of holding onto blokes for far too long that only have the potential to be role players at best.
Bomber absolutely loves him, we will find out if Hird shares the same feelings.

Our KPP depth is already poor...

Spied him at the SFNL grand final today. Ex Imps scum coming to watch his old team play. At least he was doing the right thing and was on the coke zeros for the whole day, though he still had the shintaro, and was wearing questionable floral shorts.

Last edited:
Don't see much in Steinberg to give him another year.
Not physical enough and terrible disposal. I reckon he will be delisted.

I was actually thinking the same thing the other day. Despite being selected for a final, was it simply right spot at the right time? Surely if push came to shove, a fully fit and going Tayte Pears would have done a reasonable job on Ben Brown (despite being trailed as a forward all year).

I was actually thinking the same thing the other day. Despite being selected for a final, was it simply right spot at the right time? Surely if push came to shove, a fully fit and going Tayte Pears would have done a reasonable job on Ben Brown (despite being trailed as a forward all year).

Ben Brown would have beaten bloody Matthew Scarlett if he was getting the ball kicked to him like that.

I really hope that game doesn't decide his fate, because if it does he has our midfielders to blame

I thought that Ben Brown played better against Geelong - Didn't get the kudos of goals but filled an important structural role, was team oriented, and was against a better performed opponent.

All i am saying to all is i am not writing Steinburg off on 3 games. He is a medium defender having to be played as a tall and his struggles have been no different to when Myers has had to play that role or Hibberd on talls for that matter.
Does he have the tools to handle mobile mediums though? Crameri, LeCras or Gunston, for example? If not, he's only going to make it as an undersized tall, but will only be able to compete against equally-undersized talls.

He's definitely a conundrum that's for sure. Of all the players on out list, he would be the most surprising to be a premiership player. As has been said, he just doesn't seem to have the physical requirements. He needs either height or pace. On every other front i can see him making it, but surely those elements are deal breakers for a KPP? Is there a physically equivalent elite player that he can be compared against?

Does he have the tools to handle mobile mediums though? Crameri, LeCras or Gunston, for example? If not, he's only going to make it as an undersized tall, but will only be able to compete against equally-undersized talls.

I'm yet to see him display the pace and/or agility for any of the guys you've mentioned.

It's not just about three matches in the AFL for me. Give him a VFL forward and he is dominant.

Give him an AFL level opponent and he gets belted. He was kept off Jones against the Dogs, presumably because we knew he couldn't go with him, until the second half when Jones belted him. Lowden also got hold of him. He also had no answers for Stephenson/Elton/Vickery when we played the Tigers at Punt Road.

I don't see the point in looking at the performances against VFL standard forwards because, even as a third tall defender, at AFL level he is playing on very different beasts and, to my memory, he has not beaten one.

after reading all of this the summary could read;

too short to take a tall, too slow to take a small, too slight to take a monster. He may just get stuck in a limbo of neither here nor there for ever. The only spot i could see him excelling in defence would be the third man in but that requires a smart player (which he may be) and a perfectly functioning back 6.

those calling Brown the 3rd tall are way off, youd nearly call him the resting ruckman - youd never play an undersized defender on a resting ruckman would you? he was holding him off with one are with distain.

I suppose Ariel was drafted as a project fwd, the project has then moved back, we have tried all things just not sure its going to happen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back