Delisted #28: Mitch Brown - Retired - 20/9/22

Remove this Banner Ad

He's not far wrong. Had a bit of a tough time.

Just with injuries or other stuff?

If you have a look at games played (AFL/VFL combined) in his last 3 years on Geelong's list, it doesn't really suggest he went through a tough time with injuries as he played a lot of football.

2014 - 19
2013 - 22
2012 - 21

Last edited:

Just with injuries or other stuff?

If you have a look at games played (AFL/VFL combined) in his last 3 years on Geelong's list, it doesn't really suggest he went through a tough time with injuries as he played a lot of football.

2014 - 19
2013 - 22
2012 - 21
That's right, but he could never get a run-on in the seniors. He'd make, it get injured ... or make it, and someone else would come back. I always felt he was one of those unlucky players; heaps of talent, but had the bad luck to be marginal in 2012 and 2013 when we still had a pretty good team. 2014 was different, of course, but by then his confidence was pretty down.

After his good run with Sandy and the toughening process he went through at Geelong, I think you'll find he will be more than handy for you. God, I really hope so. Massive soft spot for Essendon and no one will be happier than me if he manages to grow into his considerable potential.

Watch the young man closely.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-02-16/new-contract-for-untried-don-mitch-brown

New contract for untried Don Mitch Brown
MITCH Brown has seized his second AFL opportunity this summer at Essendon, with the tall set to be rewarded for an impressive pre-season with a one-year contract extension.

Brown joined the Bombers on a one-year contract after being taken at pick No.54 in last year's NAB AFL Draft, but AFL.com.au understands the 25-year-old is on the verge of re-signing until the end of 2017.

The key-position player shapes as an important player for Essendon this season as it seeks to cover the loss of 12 players suspended for 2016 on anti-doping charges by the Court of Arbitration for Sport last month.

Brown, 196cm and 93kg, is capable of playing at both ends of the ground, so could be used to provide support to Joe Daniher in attack or to cover the loss of suspended trio Cale Hooker, Michael Hurley and Tayte Pears in defence.

Brown was a first-round selection in the 2008 NAB AFL Draft, taken at pick No.15 overall by Geelong.

The former Sandringham Dragon struggled to break into the powerhouse Cats team of that time, playing 15 games in six seasons on the Geelong list before being delisted at the end of 2014.

Brown came onto Essendon's radar when he filled in as a top-up player during the 2015 NAB Challenge, when all of the club's remaining 2012-listed players voluntarily sat out the pre-season competition ahead of the AFL Anti-Doping Tribunal verdict in the long-running anti-doping case.

The swingman was one of the Bombers' best players across its three pre-season games last season before joining Sandringham in the VFL, where he enjoyed an outstanding year.

Brown starred in the Zebras' 2015 finals campaign, kicking five goals against Collingwood's VFL team and four against Box Hill, after being shifted from defence to attack in both games.

He's probably going to be CHB. We simply don't have the defensive depth to play him forward unfortunately.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can anyone tell me why we extended him now?

Good to hear he's impressing and what not, but for what reason would the club extend him for a year, when we could have waited until the end of this season?

Can anyone tell me why we extended him now?

Good to hear he's impressing and what not, but for what reason would the club extend him for a year, when we could have waited until the end of this season?
To give a concrete and quantifiable reward for pre-season effort/attitude. Sends the message to the players that real rewards can come in a situation they have full control over, as opposed to in game situations that can be out of your control. Personally I like it.

I like your way of thinking. My first thought was it doesn't bode well for them thinking Hooker will return.

It did not even occur to me that the extension would have anything to do with Hooker. I think it's reading too much into the situation.

He's a mature guy. There is is no point leaving him hanging waiting for a contract when he has done enough.

Last edited:
It did not even occur to me that the extension would have anything to do with Hooker. I think it's reading too much into the situation.

He's a mature guy. There is is no point leaving him hanging waiting for a contract when if he has done enough.
He's more depth à la Pears than first 22 replacing Hooker, surely?

I like your way of thinking. My first thought was it doesn't bode well for them thinking Hooker will return.
Regardless of Hooker he must have shown unequivocally that he is at a high AFL standard. Hard to show that in the preseason i would have thought, so things must really be looking up for him. Great news!

Played KD this morning and looked decent - similar to nab challenge last year. I'm concerned about his off the mark pace - a quick KF could be an issue so he's probably better at CHB and not at FB.

No idea how this bloke slipped to pick 54. He's a ready made CHB who's comfortable as a lead up forward.

I can't help but laugh at the stupidity of a club like St Kilda.

They paid 700k and pick 5 for a KPD who basically has the identical physical attributes to two players we picked up in the third round that same year (either side of him in age). It is not like we took these guys from obscurity either.

There is no doubt that Carlisle is a better player than Brown and Hartley (though I have seriously high hopes for Hartley) and while you would not ever get me to agree that losing Hooker or Hurley for a high pick is a good thing (apparently there has been some suggestion that we could get a really high compo pick) I am far from convinced that you need anything more than adequate key defenders complimented by flankers who are excellent counter attacking players to have a premiership defence.

That Carlisle is not a defender for all key forwards (i.e. can't match hard leading key forwards for pace) makes the decision even stranger because it's a massive chunk out of a salary cap for a rebuilding side to pay. I'd re-think for Rance, McKenzie and McDonald (even though they are average intercept/counter-attacking players). It worked out very well for us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back