Retired #29: Patrick Ambrose - Officially retired - 11/8

Remove this Banner Ad

I love his tackling and defensive pressure, but thats the only thing he has got in his game at the moment. Langford has a better mark.

This is true and when he does not bring it like the last 2 weeks then he needs to be out of the side again.
Drops too many marks he should take to start with.

This is probably a stupid suggestion... But can ambrose be used as a 3rd tall defender?

We have a back six of hooker, hurley, baguley, hibbered, gleeson and..... Either gwilt, steinberg, dempsey or ashby.

I dont feel sure about gwilt as a best 22 player and when he, hooker and hurley play down back together we don't look mobile enough.
Imo i dont think steinberg will make it at afl level.
And maybe only some games we will suit playing an extra small down back in either ashby or dempsey.

If we need a 3rd tall do we go with one of those options or can we try and develop Ambrose to swing back and fwd.

He is quick enough, has a good tank, tackles hard and plays well defensively. Maybe he hasn't got a great spoil?

Just a thought...

This is probably a stupid suggestion... But can ambrose be used as a 3rd tall defender?

We have a back six of hooker, hurley, baguley, hibbered, gleeson and..... Either gwilt, steinberg, dempsey or ashby.

I dont feel sure about gwilt as a best 22 player and when he, hooker and hurley play down back together we don't look mobile enough.
And maybe only some games we will suit playing an extra small down back in either ashby or dempsey.

If we need a 3rd tall do we go with one of those options or can we try and develop Ambrose to swing back and fwd.

He is quick enough, has a good tank, tackles hard and plays well defensively. Maybe he hasn't got a great spoil?

Just a thought...

If there was ever a week to try it this is the week against an undersized dogs outfit. He could go with Crameri or stringer.

I'm not into calling plays a spud or s**t. I'd call him a grinder. That's pretty much it. Goes at it hard, blocks, and when he does tackle, he does it with intent to hurt. You'd almost call him a goon, but he has actually shown (at times) he can contribute offensively.

Club needs to establish him in a position and actually develop him in that position at VFL level.

For the love of God, send him back to the VFL.

Love his endeavor and the way he goes about it, but he is an awful long way from AFL standard at the moment. Send him to the twos and let him know he's not coming back to the AFL side until he kicks 3+ goals in consecutive weeks.

On playing ability he's nowhere near it. Being a hard ass and endurance athlete doesn't make you a good footballer.

Drop him and this time make him earn a spot, unlike last time where the VFL watchers said he contributed naff all but the was recalled anyway.

This bloke epitomises Hird's strange selection policy. After he was dropped he did NOTHING to earn a recall. Structurally Mckernan is a better option to play his role.

I just don't get it. The coaches are paid good money to make these calls and even blind sam along with farkwit freddy can tell this bloke is an absolute potato.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just a thought...

I was thinking defence his only hope or a very negative tagger. Worth a go because he aint no forward or ruck, that's for sure.

Stop it, stop it - he's dead already!
Bhes8hZCYAAz3Jp.jpg

There's no way that Hirdy listens to the people around him. Harvey isn't a dickhead. He wouldn't play Ambrose. He'd be in the VFL quick smart.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back