Player Watch #30: Charlie Comben

Remove this Banner Ad

I want him forward.
I was all for the move down back & think he has the attributes to develop into a weapon down there, however our forward line is crying out for someone like him instead of CCJ.
Our backline has performed ok in both pre season games & still has Corr, McDonald (like it or not) & eventually Logue to come back.
CCJ is just not up to it unfortunately.
Comben has him covered in every dept & would add another dimension to our forward line.

Zurharr, Comben, Sleevo
Curtis, Larkey, BGZ

This forward line has some marking power & X Factor

I want him forward.
I was all for the move down back & think he has the attributes to develop into a weapon down there, however our forward line is crying out for someone like him instead of CCJ.
Our backline has performed ok in both pre season games & still has Corr, McDonald (like it or not) & eventually Logue to come back.
CCJ is just not up to it unfortunately.
Comben has him covered in every dept & would add another dimension to our forward line.

Zurharr, Comben, Sleevo
Curtis, Larkey, BGZ

This forward line has some marking power & X Factor
On paper, that forward line is filthy. In practice, Stephenson would be shouldering a massive load trying to do all the small forward things (which isn't changed by CCJ's presence, in fairness), and more importantly, we'd be doing Comben a disservice by so soon putting him back in the position where all of his injury troubles have occurred.

I don't mind the idea of keeping him in the backline for continuity purposes, even though I agree that he's a natural forward. I expect the forward line to take a fair bit of tweaking and that we'll look really good down there more frequently as the season goes on

On paper, that forward line is filthy. In practice, Stephenson would be shouldering a massive load trying to do all the small forward things (which isn't changed by CCJ's presence, in fairness), and more importantly, we'd be doing Comben a disservice by so soon putting him back in the position where all of his injury troubles have occurred.

I don't mind the idea of keeping him in the backline for continuity purposes, even though I agree that he's a natural forward. I expect the forward line to take a fair bit of tweaking and that we'll look really good down there more frequently as the season goes on

Comben is our best pressure forward.

He’s extremely fragile, it’s true. But if he’s going to get injured again it will happen wherever he plays.
The record of injury prone players suggests that's true. But I think it's a worth a change up. If only because we haven't tried it before. One or two more long termers and I reckon he's done

I was once like you lot hanging my hopes on the brittle boned body of Charlie.
I now think him getting through a light job as surprising. Although there was a few raised eyebrows ( internally ) when Charlie pulled out of the clash against The Saints.

More than happy for him the have 2 years to run and hope he somehow gets it together CHF of course.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I now think him getting through a light job as surprising. Although there was a few raised eyebrows ( internally ) when Charlie pulled out of the clash against The Saints.

More than happy for him the have 2 years to run and hope he somehow gets it together CHF of course.

Did he pull out? He played two’s.

Welcome home, son.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back