Player Watch #30: Charlie Comben

Remove this Banner Ad

Good on you, there was once a fitness thread but it has been banished

Oh well
Trigger GIF by MOODMAN
triggered GIF

Won't be as easy as that when the real stuff starts. Juggled the first 3 marks then took a couple against what looked like the wiz watto Watsons.

But as I partly jest he does look fit n strong and gee while I'm off the bus. Happy to jump back on, maybe it's due to him being down back when we're crying out for a chf.

Im just happy he’s back.

Doesn’t look like his injury will hold him back.

Hamish heckhead McLachlan probably went early when he said Charlie needed to be put down and his career was over as he was being stretchered off the mcg

Won't be as easy as that when the real stuff starts. Juggled the first 3 marks then took a couple against what looked like the wiz watto Watsons.

But as I partly jest he does look fit n strong and gee while I'm off the bus. Happy to jump back on, maybe it's due to him being down back when we're crying out for a chf.
Yeh the worst part of your players dominating an intra is well.. they were dominating an intra.

More to the point, it’s ‘our’ intra.
"New leadership group member Bailey Scott shone on a wing gathering possessions at will..

opposed to Curtis Taylor who didn't disgrace himself chalking up over 25 new Instagram followers in limited gametime.."

This x1000.

Remember when Declan Watson looked like an amazing marking forward one preseason?

(Yes forward)
Remember when Alan Obst looked like he could move an entire house by himself?

Good days.

Good on you, there was once a fitness thread but it has been banished

Oh well

Remember when Alan Obst looked like he could move an entire house by himself?

Good days.
I'm biased after meeting him a few times but reckon he looked like a decent emerging player under Crocker/Laidley.

Scott didn't rate him and that was that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I understand why he’s playing as a kpd, but he is not a natural defender. Didn’t play poorly today, but his positioning and defensive nous isn’t there.
This sounds a lot like Tarrant back in the day. Rather weirdly, we find ourselves in the same position. We had Firrito, Grima and Scooter back then which was slightly undersized and were expected to cover smalls and talls. Tarrant resurrected from his career death bed and became our behemoth full back superstar.

Not saying it'll happen again, but our backline is in a similar situation with our most experienced being undersized.

Let's hope Logue can get back and help us out before we get the easier part of the draw. Gives us every chance.

23 games for Chom would be the target but l don't think he's the KPD for the future or even the second coming of Robbie Tarrant....Chom kicking 15-25m, standing still passes looks so foreign too him...intercept marking, he treats it like a forward leading pattern!!
I know it's an intra but I hope Biggie/Pink and K.Dawason can fill the 2nd KPD role with Corr - we'll be more dangerous with Souva and Chom up front.

I understand why he’s playing as a kpd, but he is not a natural defender. Didn’t play poorly today, but his positioning and defensive nous isn’t there.
I remember daw being atrocious in the pre season when he started down back and then went on to be the best interceptor in the comp in 2018, I recall one game where wce moved McGovern forward to curb his influence and he even gave him a bath.

...I think chom has 100x more AFL game sense than daw, so he should be fine.

In saying that I'd rather him forward because he's basically the modern day prototype of carey.

On Pixel 6 using BigFooty.com mobile app

This sounds a lot like Tarrant back in the day. Rather weirdly, we find ourselves in the same position. We had Firrito, Grima and Scooter back then which was slightly undersized and were expected to cover smalls and talls. Tarrant resurrected from his career death bed and became our behemoth full back superstar.

Not saying it'll happen again, but our backline is in a similar situation with our most experienced being undersized.

Let's hope Logue can get back and help us out before we get the easier part of the draw. Gives us every chance.
and Hansen. Who also started as a forward before going back

I remember daw being atrocious in the pre season when he started down back and then went on to be the best interceptor in the comp in 2018, I recall one game where wce moved McGovern forward to curb his influence and he even gave him a bath.

...I think chom has 100x more AFL game sense than daw, so he should be fine.

In saying that I'd rather him forward because he's basically the modern day prototype of carey.

On Pixel 6 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Agree. I reckon his talents aren't being used to his full potential down back, although I understand the logic for playing him there.

I didn’t get that sense from Taz, quite the opposite. He had good games forward, but he never seemed a natural forward to me with his positioning and leading patterns. He was strong one on one and could mark well though, which lent itself well to defending. Within a game or two, Taz looked far more comfortable when he went down back.

Lachie was a bit similar to Taz, but I always thought Lachie’s general ‘footy’ nous made him more adaptable at either end. I felt comfortable with Lachie first game back in 2013 as an interceptor.

Lachie isn’t the worst defender type to aspire to for Chom. Lachie was never brilliant one-on-one (wasn’t poor at it), but was a great intercept mark. Chom still has a way to go reading the ball, but the raw marking is fast getting there.

Chom has the forward footy smarts, so time will tell down back.

Obviously, my assessment is very preliminary and mostly based on many years of watching, rather than playing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back