Player Watch #30: Charlie Comben

Remove this Banner Ad

Always been a real competitive beast. It will hold him in good stead in the backline. Good to see him build some confidence across the course of the game. Hope he can have an extended run at it over this year and we’ll see him improve even more.

I hope that in the future we have big competitive keys in Charlie and Will Dawson down there with Logue playing with more freedom to intercept and create.

Comben and Logue could be a nice long term backline combination. Charlie isn’t great kick for goal. Backline is very suitable to his strengths. Could be a great move for him

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
His disposal was pretty good too. Hand and foot. Great for first game in a year.

Always been a real competitive beast. It will hold him in good stead in the backline. Good to see him build some confidence across the course of the game. Hope he can have an extended run at it over this year and we’ll see him improve even more.

I hope that in the future we have big competitive keys in Charlie and Will Dawson down there with Logue playing with more freedom to intercept and create.
a tall defensive unit of Dawson, Dawson and Comben in 2025/6 actually looks really friggen exciting. shame it sounds like a legal firm

Went from totally lost to a real presence in the space a 3 quarters.

Looked like a bloke playing with no instinct in the first half, maybe Clarko told him at half time to just play instinctive footy and forget the structure stuff since the game was well cooked?

If he can show more of the second half Charlie and stay on the park, we might have a partner for Logue which means Kallan Dawson can play as the third tall and we can * off that s**t campaigner Corr.

Also means that Will Dawson doesn’t get thrown to the wolves before being ready.
Its also the lack of midfield pressure and spuds around him. Pretty tough and not surprising took a while to settle. Im Pleasantly surprised how good he looked at the end. And will only get better. Its crazy to expect him to look like weitering or andrews in game 1. After 1 pre season and a couple iffl games.

Has North found a key defender?

Charlie Comben was far from perfect, but in his new role as a key defender and playing just his 10th game in five seasons, was a real shining light for the Roos. Although opponent Joe Daniher kicked five goals, they weren't all directly on Comben, the 22-year-old was proactive in his approach and had more than his fair share of wins against Brisbane's spearhead. He finished 25 disposals, a game-high 13 intercepts and three contested marks. - afl.com.au
I guess if we were scratching around for positives, Charlie looked better with the ball in hand than McKay ever did, in what was a 71-31 inside 50 avalanche.

If he can intercept in a game where the count is even, we might have a chance of winning. Charlie, Logue and Wil Dawson down the track might mean the light at the end of the tunnel is not an oncoming train.

If things fall right then I don't think an adequate backline, or maybe even a good one, is too far off. We might have the players on the list, despite the recent media talking about us needing to trade for one or two KPDs.

I just watched the interview done with him after the game ad was so IMPRESSED. He look like he was hurting bad.
He knew he had a bad first quarter but he obviously was not alone but came back bigger and better than any of us could have hoped for.
If only some of his older team mates put up half the fight he did the result might have been a little better.
we were never going to win after the week the Lions had and the first quarter showed he are nowhere near them as yet but if Charlie can stay fit I think we have a player who can help this rebuild

I guess if we were scratching around for positives, Charlie looked better with the ball in hand than McKay ever did, in what was a 71-31 inside 50 avalanche.

If he can intercept in a game where the count is even, we might have a chance of winning. Charlie, Logue and Wil Dawson down the track might mean the light at the end of the tunnel is not an oncoming train.

Not only did he look better with the ball, he had more of it than McKay ever has. Not that I’d normally use disposals as a yard stick for a KPD but with the regularity with which the ball has entered our back line over the years I’m shocked McKay didn’t get it more

Not only did he look better with the ball, he had more of it than McKay ever has. Not that I’d normally use disposals as a yard stick for a KPD but with the regularity with which the ball has entered our back line over the years I’m shocked McKay didn’t get it more

An additional bonus that hasn’t been talked about much is his leg speed and athleticism. It is superb for a guy with that height, frame and injury history. I remember a lost ball in the back half and chom was standing next to Daniher. Chom set off and Daniher gave up after the first 5 steps as chom was easily outpacing him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wonder if he tracks Drew Petrie’s career. Started forward, went back, finished as a quality forward!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You'd hope by the end of the year we get a game with this set up, if only to give Wil Dawson a taste of the top flight.

Comben and Logue could be a nice long term backline combination. Charlie isn’t great kick for goal. Backline is very suitable to his strengths. Could be a great move for him

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
It's the gaping KPF-shaped hole in our forward line which is why the possibility of Chom getting switched forward at times is a chance. Would prefer for him to settle into the backline but...

This kid is all in - brilliant interview and you can't tell me that he isn't fully invested.

Might be the making of him sending him back and lets cross everything for a clean bill of health for the remainder of 2024
You know what, some people might disagree with what I'm about to say but he reminds me very much of one player and one player only, Ian Fairley, Ian used to kick bags of goals in the reserves but then got transitioned to centre half back and what a good player he became for us. He's going to make more mistakes and some things aren't going to come off but we are one game into a key defensive role and now its about confidence and the learning process of a defensive role.

Also, did we play below average yesterday against Brisbane, I guess you could say that, as disappointing as it was, Brisbane played off in the grand final last year and we've played three top sides, so while most of us are feeling a little down {I'm trying to be kind} lets not throw the baby out with the bathwater {god I hate that saying}, I know its no excuse but we just for some reason don't fire a shot in Adelaide! Just maybe, with Charlie to the backline and everything else we're implementing plus a young list, its patience that is needed, I know some of us don't want to hear it but Clarkson is right when he says "The bigger picture" cause when, not if, we get to that stage it will not only have been done properly but the wait will be worth it. We are going to get inconsistency with young players but that's just the way it is.

The first half against Fremantle will be the norm but of coarse we aren't there yet. Now some doom and gloom people will probably say that "Freo" worked us out, that would be IMHO an illogical view, the reason, in that game they couldn't cope with "Northball" early on and it was only a set of circumstances that enabled them to win the game, such as us missing those three goals that would have broken them and at that stage there would be no momentum from them, 50 points down and us attacking, but sometimes its the little things that can change a game one way or the other.

Lastly, well done CHOM, that little talk at Norwood after training on Thursday had me convinced that not only were you overjoyed at getting in the team but that you were going to help our team and make it better, the confidence was outstanding but the determination in your voice was very sober.

I just watched the interview done with him after the game ad was so IMPRESSED. He look like he was hurting bad.
He knew he had a bad first quarter but he obviously was not alone but came back bigger and better than any of us could have hoped for.
If only some of his older team mates put up half the fight he did the result might have been a little better.
we were never going to win after the week the Lions had and the first quarter showed he are nowhere near them as yet but if Charlie can stay fit I think we have a player who can help this rebuild
His attitude is a stark difference to the usual inauthentic, going-through-the-motions interviews from other players (Sheezel and Larkey also speak well tbf).

Please just stay on the park Chom.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back