Player Watch #30: Reece Conca

Remove this Banner Ad

Jarryd McVeigh of Sydney Swans was what you would call a good ordinary player. No one would have thought or had designs over his potential. Then he started kicking goals as a ruck-rover, becomes cap'tn, wins a flag, moves to a back flank like Mitchell. (Sam/hawks) and will prolly have written his name into the best 22 of all time at the Swans/South .

I dont watch much footy, but just positing that someones career may not necessarily be linear. see also: priddis.

He did go at pick 5 in the draft so obviously people considered him to have a fair bit of potential

1438779484941.jpg

Dat moustache :cry:

1438779484941.jpg

Dat moustache :cry:

whattya reckon evo ?

bar-keep. a vest or one of those aprons like the baristas? I think a vest. white shirt cuffs rolled 2 inches back to forearms. Some hipster tatts, mebbe even an anchor sailor tatt. craft beer on tap.

Last edited:
People who aren't reactionary and actually watch him a lot
Sorry Doc. I think its wishful thinking. At the very best hes a good player,i wont say what i really think about him because people only see what they want to see. Top 10 pick how poor was he tonight, You know theres no outstanding feature to work with, in fact every thing he does is average.

Sorry Doc. I think its wishful thinking. At the very best hes a good player,i wont say what i really think about him because people only see what they want to see. Top 10 pick how poor was he tonight, You know theres no outstanding feature to work with, in fact every thing he does is average.
He wasn't great, but it's his second game of the year getting no help, did a lot of nice things but made a bunch of errors just like everyone else in the team
I'll say it again, it's one game, don't look for scape goats

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He wasn't great, but it's his second game of the year getting no help, did a lot of nice things but made a bunch of errors just like everyone else in the team
I'll say it again, it's one game, don't look for scape goats
Not looking for scape goats at all. It was a typical Conca game. The mistakes and poor decisions are always there. You know people dont rate him for a reason or reasons. Nothing has changed.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for this season, but I was hoping he'd come back a better player. Won't know for sure unless he has a good pre-season under his belt.

At least he's moving well.

He was awesome in the first quarter with a couple of dxcellent pick ups and give offs but once the pressure hit the back line he became no poorer than the other back men
The jury is still out on him as he still running last at the 400m mark needs to pull out and make up many lost lengths
People on here get excited on a few good games in five seasons and start wankfest threads with no real evidence that some players may just never reach their full potential
Jury is still out on Reece with what he's dished up, but it's clear that CELlis is going to be a gun. CELlis has shown more poise than all our first rounders barring Dusty since DH has come along
We need to get him on the park gaining experience ready for next year

He was awesome in the first quarter with a couple of dxcellent pick ups and give offs but once the pressure hit the back line he became no poorer than the other back men
The jury is still out on him as he still running last at the 400m mark needs to pull out and make up many lost lengths
People on here get excited on a few good games in five seasons and start wankfest threads with no real evidence that some players may just never reach their full potential
Jury is still out on Reece with what he's dished up, but it's clear that CELlis is going to be a gun. CELlis has shown more poise than all our first rounders barring Dusty since DH has come along
We need to get him on the park gaining experience ready for next year

I think given time and space Conca is a good straight kick but that rarely happens in pressure footy. Agility wise he gets caught out and with decision making.

I think as a forward no(at least atm) but he might make it as a backman that can go in the midfield. Life is simpler as a backman and thats how he needs to focus IMO

Conca's biggest issue is noting his limitations and start doing the simple things right without reaching for the types of plays that are unrealistic.

I think he must have played in a lot of space as a junior on WA ovals and some recruiters had overrated this aspect of his play as a result.

He needs to learn a lot IMO to improve his game and play better and smarter. Example he tries these 3/4 around the corner kicks instead of a more absolute snap and just needs to take the first option more. This is why if he gets coached right he can improve but his footy knowledge definitely needs to improve IMO

Last edited:
Reece has had the same issue as Ben G . A lack of continuity , therefore an inability to build on his game & confidence......I'm glad he has an opportunity to get a month or so into himself going into finals, it will only do him good...

I think given time and space Conca is a good straight kick but that rarely happens in pressure footy. Agility wise he gets caught out and with decision making.

I think as a forward no(at least atm) but he might make it as a backman that can go in the midfield. Life is simpler as a backman and thats how he needs to focus IMO

Conca's biggest issue is noting his limitations and start doing the simple things right without reaching for the types of plays that are unrealistic.

I think he must have played in a lot of space as a junior on WA ovals and some recruiters had overrated this aspect of his play as a result.

He needs to learn a lot IMO to improve his game and play better and smarter. Example he tries these 3/4 around the corner kicks instead of a more absolute snap and just needs to take the first option more. This is why if he gets coached right he can improve but his footy knowledge definitely needs to improve IMO

He just needs to get some match fitness.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back