Past 31. Tom Williamson

Remove this Banner Ad

Williamson was not convicted.
Tried to self reform
13 texts in a 7 day period
The HUN is blowing this out of proportion
That's how that s**t starts. Good that it was caught early and he has a chance to learn from his unacceptable behaviour without a conviction.

Those texts or calls might have been extremely threatening and it's scary for the person on the other end.

key measure is his conduct going forward.

like anyone.
I don't even know what he's done but the rule for me is if you have been part of a problem the ONLY way for you to move forward as a person and be understood and trusted again by those in your orbit, is for you to become part of any solution - and be seen to be so.......

Last edited:
I don't even know what he's done but the rule for me is if you have been part of a problem the ONLY way for you to move forward as a person and be understood and trusted again by those in your orbit, is for you to become part of any solution - and are seen to be so.......

entirely reasonable approach… and the only real way for anyone to move forward.

speaking of reasonablenes… who are you and what have you done with Thy? ;)

I don't even know what he's done but the rule for me is if you have been part of a problem the ONLY way for you to move forward as a person and be understood and trusted again by those in your orbit, is for you to become part of any solution - and are seen to be so.......
He apparently "only" sent 13 texts. They could have been threatening harm and causing serious mental trauma and fear.

A magistrate thought it was serious enough to warn him he would be jailed if he did it again

The club could not have possibly commented on an ongoing police investigation.

There was nothing in the club statement hiding behind mental health. The club said he needed to step away to deal with personal issues and his wellbeing. If you read mental health into that that is on you.
They could've addressed it since the court case that they obviously knew was coming.

Not difficult for us to have released a statement, especially with the Carlton Respects initiative we run.

God that's so disappointing, especially as his exit was often eluded to as mental health related.

Sorry Tom but the right thing happened here. Any player that does similar should lose their career.
I’m not defending Tom but what he’s done is absolutely linked with mental health.

Without knowing the bloke, people who are in a stable position mentally are much less likely to do something like this than people who aren’t.

It’s not an excuse, and the club did the right thing by letting him go, but I’d disagree there’s no mental health element at play

They could've addressed it since the court case that they obviously knew was coming.

Not difficult for us to have released a statement, especially with the Carlton Respects initiative we run.

He plead guilty last week....Grand Final week....and hadn't been a Carlton player in more than 12 months. Why on earth would we release a statement.

He plead guilty last week....Grand Final week....and hadn't been a Carlton player in more than 12 months. Why on earth would we release a statement.
To now acknowledge why he was let go from the club.

It's not good enough to just have it happily be swept under the carpet due to the convenience of grand final week.

They want to run the Carlton Respects program? Great - now is the time to reiterate that this was completely unacceptable and won't be tolerated from any of our employees (players or staff). Staying silent on this is weak, just hoping it goes away.

To now acknowledge why he was let go from the club.

It's not good enough to just have it happily be swept under the carpet due to the convenience of grand final week.

They want to run the Carlton Respects program? Great - now is the time to reiterate that this was completely unacceptable and won't be tolerated from any of our employees (players or staff). Staying silent on this is weak, just hoping it goes away.

Way off base, in my view.

There is no need for us to roll out a "Look how virtuous we were - we parted ways with a player last year and didn't tell you why, but look here at how naughty he was and how incredibly amazing we are" statement.

Any half-sensible person can put two and two together here, it's literally all in the article. I don't think it would be remotely appropriate to use Williamson as some kind of public case study or trophy for our stance on harassment, domestic violence or violence against women.

He was a dick, he made someone else's life s**t for a period of time, we cut ties and let the legal process take its course - he's now been penalised further (beyond the loss of a lucrative career) and will need to live with the public's knowledge of his shittiness for the rest of his life. We made the right call, and Carlton Respects continues to represent a key tenet of our organisational identity without us needing to climb the ivory tower and shout "We told you so!".

Re the Willo stuff. God I'm proud of our footy club to practice what they preach via the Carlton Respects program.

Was gutted when he was delisted, but with hindsight, don't care how good a footballer he is Cough De Goey Cough - no place for that stuff in the world.

There is no need for us to roll out a "Look how virtuous we were - we parted ways with a player last year and didn't tell you why, but look here at how naughty he was and how incredibly amazing we are" statement.

Any half-sensible person can put two and two together here, it's literally all in the article. I don't think it would be remotely appropriate to use Williamson as some kind of public case study or trophy for our stance on harassment, domestic violence or violence against women.

He was a dick, he made someone else's life s**t for a period of time, we cut ties and let the legal process take its course - he's now been penalised further (beyond the loss of a lucrative career) and will need to live with the public's knowledge of his shittiness for the rest of his life. We made the right call, and Carlton Respects continues to represent a key tenet of our organisational identity without us needing to climb the ivory tower and shout "We told you so!".
At risk of moving off football slightly, domestic violence remains one of the biggest issues in our society today. The club has a unique standing within society that can be used to progress the battle against this.

It's not climbing an ivory tower or shouting we told you so for the club to reiterate their zero tolerance stance. If people and organisations did this more, maybe, just maybe we'd actually see some progress.

It can absolutely be done in a statement that doesn't attack Tom any further. I've no interest in further punishing Tom.

Just sitting idly by and hoping no one actually brings this up any further is disappointing.

I'll leave it at that, I know we disagree and we won't change each other's mind on this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well... Boots is no longer the creepist player who played at the Blues now.
Reckon its a tie for first... and that's just the ones that are reported, I'd imagine things may have been worse back in the "good ol' days" when players off-field discretions were not reported on in the media & there were no smart phones and everything was taken care of with a "brown paper bag"

Pretty impressive post.

At risk of moving off football slightly, domestic violence remains one of the biggest issues in our society today. The club has a unique standing within society that can be used to progress the battle against this.

It's not climbing an ivory tower or shouting we told you so for the club to reiterate their zero tolerance stance. If people and organisations did this more, maybe, just maybe we'd actually see some progress.

It can absolutely be done in a statement that doesn't attack Tom any further. I've no interest in further punishing Tom.

Just sitting idly by and hoping no one actually brings this up any further is disappointing.

I'll leave it at that, I know we disagree and we won't change each other's mind on this.

And via the Carlton Respects program, we do progress the battle against it.

We haven't sat idly by hoping nobody would bring it up - we cut ties with the player, seemingly immediately, and then honoured the privacy of the legal system. Now that his conviction is public there is no need whatsoever for the club to say a word. As Arrow said - actions speak louder than words. And we acted immediately and with clear conviction. Where other clubs have tried to hold on to their shitty players and put them through AFL-sanctioned "learn to be a good boy" programs (Thomas, De Goey etc.), we cut the dickhead and let him have his day in court.

Bravo Carlton.

Good on Tom for taking responsibility and pleading guilty and hopefully the programs and counselling is a serious step to addressing his issues.

Hopefully he is still getting help.

If I read it correctly, his offending started in July last year which I think was just after he was cut from the club, I wonder if the club had heard about some behaviours and removed him because of it.

Glad he was held to account

I don't even know what he's done but the rule for me is if you have been part of a problem the ONLY way for you to move forward as a person and be understood and trusted again by those in your orbit, is for you to become part of any solution - and be seen to be so.......
And own your part in the problem, be contrite and genuinely acknowledge the wrongdoings.

E
As soon as I read this I thought of De Goey and how Collingwood just kept sweeping it under the carpet. Well done to Calton for stamping out unacceptable behaviour. Unfortunately in most work places I have worked at this would not be a sackable offence. Sad but true.
Exactly...meanwhile
Collingwood are completely happy with having degropey on their books:(

Good on Tom for taking responsibility and pleading guilty and hopefully the programs and counselling is a serious step to addressing his issues.

Hopefully he is still getting help.

If I read it correctly, his offending started in July last year which I think was just after he was cut from the club, I wonder if the club had heard about some behaviours and removed him because of it.

Glad he was held to account
Yes you are correct, Carlton cut ties with him in June 2022 and his offending relates to texts and messages from July 2022 to October 2022. There must have been more going on. I do not know but maybe he was given some sort of warning but his offending continued. There has been talk of gambling problems at the time also.

He played in a premiership his year with his local club Ararat, where his dad and other family members have all played

Remove this Banner Ad

Back