Past #32: Mason Wood - 65 NM games/76 NM goals - delisted end '20 - SSP selection for STK '21 - GL Mase

Remove this Banner Ad

What I'm getting at is this is exactly what everyone was saying about Black 12 months ago. In fact I remember his set shot being described as text book. I also remember Pykie saying Black was the next Pavlich (which I still think could end up right). I'm as excited about Wood as anyone:D but it doesn't mean we have to down play Black.

Who is down playing Black? I'm certainly not. I don't think he is as good a kick hence my comment, but for mine will be the better forward - not necessarily the better player.

It was text book, said the same myself. Then it went very, very wrong. Black is not the next Pavlich, but he could be a very handy forward.

We are lucky to have both regardless as talented players and they can certainly play in the same team (when Black gets fitness and form, with assuming Wood continues to develop and deliver)

Speaking of Blacks kicking what the hell happened to it.... its like him and LT did some old switcharoo or something

Speaking of Blacks kicking what the hell happened to it.... its like him and LT did some old switcharoo or something

I think LT was just mental. He has fixed that and has nailed heaps of tough goals since then (and the easy ones) and his action is great.

Black changed his whole routine, when it was text book to start with. Maybe just a habit that continued, but yeah, pretty bizarre.

I think LT was just mental. He has fixed that and has nailed heaps of tough goals since then (and the easy ones) and his action is great.

Black changed his whole routine, when it was text book to start with. Maybe just a habit that continued, but yeah, pretty bizarre.
Yep im pretty confident with LT kicking for goal now, sure he will miss a few like most....
Black used to flush them, nice action, not he steps out to the right runs then straightens up and does heck knows what with it....

Yep im pretty confident with LT kicking for goal now, sure he will miss a few like most....
Black used to flush them, nice action, not he steps out to the right runs then straightens up and does heck knows what with it....

Yeah, Black and his routine was/is shithouse when it was excellent to start with. But whether just him or club involvement I have no idea.

LT is probably our best set shot under pressure now. Full credit to him, amazing effort to not just fix it, but probably become an even better set shot than before his issue arose.

Yeah, Black lost the plot really and his routine was/is shithouse. But whether just him or club involvement I have no idea.

LT is probably our best set shot under pressure now. Full credit to him, amazing effort to not just fix it, but probably become an even better set shot than before his issue arose.

I remember when i played Bbal i had a sweet jump shot untill i stepped to the foul line, then it would turn to s**t... over thinking, so i went with the Karl malone aproach of just talking s**t to myself to not think so much.... made a world of difference.... maybe thats blacks issue...

Would love to see his running patterns from today, it felt like he was everywhere. Even bobbed up in the back pocket a few times.

I think everyone was preparing for him to be a half forward but if we can turn him into a tall midfielder (ala Fyfe, Bont, Pendlebury etc) we are laughing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has he only played 4 games? Looks very composed and skilled out there.

Exactly what we need. We need a few blokes like Wood and Dumont to come through and join Turner, Brown, etc as players in the 19-21 age range having a genuine effect on matches.

Exciting. Really glad he's in the team and looking forward to watching him develop over the year.

Ahh too bad. I don't think he would have won it but he would certainly have garnered a nomination.

Haha for a bloke with a high skill level his first two kicks were shockers, they were the type of kicks your sister does when she asks if she can have one kick.

22 disposals. at 63% DE (subtract his first two kicks and two handballs and he was good!) 3 marks, 2 clearances, 2 rebound 50's, 2 inside 50's, 3 tackles and 3 1%ers with 87% time on ground.

4 games in, and he appears to be a solid winger.

Given his inexperience, I'm pretty happy with his performance.

"Honourable Mentions: Mason Wood has a big future" - A bit of love from Robbo in the 'Likes/Dislikes' section of the HS today.

Must say I've been impressed with Mason this year, and I'm so glad we've been playing him on a wing. The upside is huge, let's just hope he can continue on with it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back