Past #32: Mason Wood - 65 NM games/76 NM goals - delisted end '20 - SSP selection for STK '21 - GL Mase

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah but Turner who had even more claim to a round 1 spot had to wait until he was literally the last man upright to be given a run....

Play the bloody kids, they don't let us down.

How did turner have a claim to a round 1 spot last year? He didn't even play in the nab cup.

He debuted at the perfect time last year. His first 12 weeks of VFL footy were very inconsistent.

How did turner have a claim to a round 1 spot last year? He didn't even play in the nab cup.

He debuted at the perfect time last year. His first 12 weeks of VFL footy were very inconsistent.

Anyone with half a brain would have picked him after 1 VFL practice match.

Phillyroo and myself were officially the first to put him in our teams after one sighting.

Some kids just have what it takes.

Mason, Garner, Luke, Kayne and Browny.

They have all shown in limited game time that they have what it takes.

Very poor reasoning in my opinion.

Last night we watched a 192cm 21 year old debutant put in a BOG performance for Richmond.

Our 192cm 21 year old will be sitting on the sidelines for no other reason than players who haven't performed as well as him in the preseason have played more games than in the past.

JUST REWARD PERFORMANCE and I'll be happy.
You thought Griffith was best on ground???

Very poor reasoning in my opinion.

Last night we watched a 192cm 21 year old debutant put in a BOG performance for Richmond.

Our 192cm 21 year old will be sitting on the sidelines for no other reason than players who haven't performed as well as him in the preseason have played more games than in the past.

JUST REWARD PERFORMANCE and I'll be happy.
See I don't think this is the case. He was impressive for one so young and inexperienced, but on performance alone he wasn't necessarily far superior to those guys named on the interchange. Basti was better against the Tiges, Brown provides ruck relief, Tarrant is insurance if Adelaide go tall and had a good preseason anyway, Turner was really good against both Hawthorn and Adelaide, Jacobs was very solid as a small defender and did a good job when he eventually went onto Betts in NAB1 and backed it up against the dangerous Hawks smalls and I can't remember who else is on there.

The reality is that Wood is somewhere in that 20-25 mix and it's not a given that he should be selected or be a lock. He's competing with guys for a spot and in my opinion this is fantastic for the club.

Phillyroo and myself were officially the first to put him in our teams after one sighting.

Ofcourse you were the first to put him in your side, you had Luke McDonald in your side when he first got a kick in under 14's.

There were reasons behind him not playing early on, he didn't hardly have a pre-season and was still in the process of putting on enough muscle so that he could compete at AFL level.

A kid like that getting thrown in early on probably wouldn't have played out the whole season. By not throwing him to the wolves early on we reaped the benefits of him being able to play finals footy.

He was getting rested every couple of weeks in the vfl at the start of the year...

See I don't think this is the case. He was impressive for one so young and inexperienced, but on performance alone he wasn't necessarily far superior to those guys named on the interchange. Basti was better against the Tiges, Brown provides ruck relief, Tarrant is insurance if Adelaide go tall and had a good preseason anyway, Turner was really good against both Hawthorn and Adelaide, Jacobs was very solid as a small defender and did a good job when he eventually went onto Betts in NAB1 and backed it up against the dangerous Hawks smalls and I can't remember who else is on there.

The reality is that Wood is somewhere in that 20-25 mix and it's not a given that he should be selected or be a lock. He's competing with guys for a spot and in my opinion this is fantastic for the club.

No, no, no. Don't you dare point out that Mason wasn't BOG every time he went out there.

This is just another of those facts that people like you bring in to disrupt the lynch mob. Stop it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was getting rested every couple of weeks in the vfl at the start of the year...

Another one! You guys and your facts - how the hell can we have a solid whinge session when you guys keep interrupting?

There are people here who know so much more than the coach and match committee, and we are grateful beneficiaries of their pearls of wisdom. Please don't discourage this by use of such trivial concepts as facts.

Anyone who genuinely thought Mason was a chance for Round 1 is off their rocker. He definitely showed some good signs in the NAB but is still miles away from pushing out one of Petrie, Waite, or Brown, and wouldn't fit in the same squad as them. I hope we get to see some more of him this year but he is not best 22 at the moment, simple as that.

Anyone who genuinely thought Mason was a chance for Round 1 is off their rocker. He definitely showed some good signs in the NAB but is still miles away from pushing out one of Petrie, Waite, or Brown, and wouldn't fit in the same squad as them. I hope we get to see some more of him this year but he is not best 22 at the moment, simple as that.
I respectfully disagree.

Wood showed last year in the VFL that he kicks bags of goals (leading VFL goalkicking tally midway last season before injury held him out for a couple of games), presents well on the lead both forward and on the wing, has a top 5 level of endurance at the club and booming leg. He is also IMO not competing with Petrie, Waite or Brown for a spot rather with Black and forward structure.

Weakness' seem to be defensive pressure and overhead marking although both seem improved going by a strong preseason. Now only inexperience seems to be holding him back which Scott reasoned as the reason he left Wood out this week. Home against Brisbane seems a likely time for Wood to double his games tally especially if the weekend go awry.

I respectfully disagree.

Wood showed last year in the VFL that he kicks bags of goals (leading VFL goalkicking tally midway last season before injury held him out for a couple of games), presents well on the lead both forward and on the wing, has a top 5 level of endurance at the club and booming leg. He is also IMO not competing with Petrie, Waite or Brown for a spot rather with Black and forward structure.

Weakness' seem to be defensive pressure and overhead marking although both seem improved going by a strong preseason. Now only inexperience seems to be holding him back which Scott reasoned as the reason he left Wood out this week. Home against Brisbane seems a likely time for Wood to double his games tally especially if the weekend go awry.

Wood is a 192cm forward - he absolutely is competing with Petrie, Waite and Brown for a spot. Black's not even in the side this week to be pushed out by him. Which of our forwards named this week are you telling me Wood is better than?

I'm not saying the kids not good, I'm a big fan of his and I look forward to him being a part of our best 22. But lets be honest, right now, there isn't a spot for him. He just has to keep working hard and take his opportunity when it comes.

Wood is a 192cm forward - he absolutely is competing with Petrie, Waite and Brown for a spot. Black's not even in the side this week to be pushed out by him. Which of our forwards named this week are you telling me Wood is better than?

I'm not saying the kids not good, I'm a big fan of his and I look forward to him being a part of our best 22. But lets be honest, right now, there isn't a spot for him. He just has to keep working hard and take his opportunity when it comes.
All of the forwards named this week are bigger, stronger targets that can take a pack mark and stretch a defense mostly vertically. Wood (and Black) are more mobile, link up forwards that typically play further up the ground and provide a target on the lead plus Wood can play on the wing as well. They are also much better when the ball hit the deck adding versatility to the forward line mix.

Look, I agree that if an injury crisis had hit the club and two of the aforementioned players were injured then he'd be called upon as a replacement. But to say he would perform the same role as Petrie, Waite and Brown is silly.

I'm suprised Wood wasn't named this week his form was great and he obviously has some special abilities that should be cultivated. I'll back the match committees decision to exclude him but IMO he was deserving to play.

That he isn't playing is indicative of the depth procured during Brad Scott's tenure and of a promising season ahead.

All of the forwards named this week are bigger, stronger targets that can take a pack mark and stretch a defense mostly vertically. Wood (and Black) are more mobile, link up forwards that typically play further up the ground and provide a target on the lead plus Wood can play on the wing as well. They are also much better when the ball hit the deck adding versatility to the forward line mix.

Look, I agree that if an injury crisis had hit the club and two of the aforementioned players were injured then he'd be called upon as a replacement. But to say he would perform the same role as Petrie, Waite and Brown is silly.

I'm suprised Wood wasn't named this week his form was great and he obviously has some special abilities that should be cultivated. I'll back the match committees decision to exclude him but IMO he was deserving to play.

That he isn't playing is indicative of the depth procured during Brad Scott's tenure and of a promising season ahead.

Yes, Wood is a different type of key forward to Petrie, Waite and Brown, but he is still a key forward. There's a reason clubs generally don't play four 190cm+ guys in the same forward line. He does play the same role in that he'd provide a tall target up forward - he might not play that role in exactly the same way, but that would still be his primary role.

Again - who would you take out of this week's team for Wood, from our forwards? I'd loved to see him named too, but not at the expense of any of Petrie, Waite, Brown, Thomas, Higgins, Harvey or Turner. You couldn't drop someone else from another area of the ground without unbalancing the team. So when you tell me your "surprised" he wasn't named, I just can't imagine where you thought he was going to fit in, or who you thought was going to miss instead of him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back