Past #32: Mason Wood - 65 NM games/76 NM goals - delisted end '20 - SSP selection for STK '21 - GL Mase

Remove this Banner Ad

I like Wood, and think he will be a ripping player, and I wanted him in this week (as sub).... But the tal. Of him having an amazing preseason is a bit ott... He flashed with some brilliance, but it's not like he took a game by the scruff of the neck. We need a strong squad to win it all, and he will get opportunities.

I think Mason got a little bit screwed with Brown's inclusion this week.

Mason has been in better form and Brown's ruckwork is poor enough to almost make it a "what's the point" scenario.

I agree that Brown essentially took the spot most of us assumed was Wood's. I speculate that the match committee has decided we can stretch their backline with an extra tall, plus give Goldy a chop out when (Sam) Jacobs takes a rest. Brown's ruckwork won't be shown up against Jenkins.

Mason has been in better form and Brown's ruckwork is poor enough to almost make it a "what's the point" scenario.
A potential 14cm height mismatch if Cheny is indeed his opponent is another tick for Brown though and hopefully Ischenko has spent a good deal of the summer with him.
I can see the inclusion of Brown from a structural stand point. Didn't like Brad's explanation of a lack of experience keeping Wood out, like, how else do you expect him to get rd 1/big game/interstate experience if you don't play him?

Would Wood wonder whether he deserved to be picked?

Not only isn't Wood in our best 22, the most exciting thing for me is Hansen, Grima, Daw& Black aren't playing.

20 disposals across two NAB Challenge matches isn't near enough for automatic inclusion into round 1.

A good talent who I hope we continue to develop.

A potential 14cm height mismatch if Cheny is indeed his opponent is another tick for Brown though and hopefully Ischenko has spent a good deal of the summer with him.
I can see the inclusion of Brown from a structural stand point. Didn't like Brad's explanation of a lack of experience keeping Wood out, like, how else do you expect him to get rd 1/big game/interstate experience if you don't play him?

Yep.

That excuse rates about a 9 on my bullshit-o-meter.

I think its funny that people have forgotten very very quickly what Brown did for us at the end of last year. He has looked pretty darn good in the NAB games, getting better with each run. He does give Goldy a chop out in the occasions he needs it. Wood will get his chance but NOT at the expense of Brown. Please show me the game that Wood was so amazing this preseason??? I must have missed it! He did a couple of nice things against the tiges..... But was not dominant.

Alot of us had Wood in for Rnd 1 myself included but i can understand Brad's reason for not wanting to rock the boat to much.... In saying that with rain expected in Adelaide tommorow and J Pod not picked which doesnt make sense to me because Adelaide have an inexperienced backline i agree with others on the gameday thread that Nahas mite be the late inclusion for Brown anyway.......

Yeah. It's no big deal. What's good is that there's no obvious candidate that you can put forward for Wood to replace.

please. 2 names jump right put at you, stand out like dogs balls.

I think its funny that people have forgotten very very quickly what Brown did for us at the end of last year. He has looked pretty darn good in the NAB games, getting better with each run. He does give Goldy a chop out in the occasions he needs it. Wood will get his chance but NOT at the expense of Brown. Please show me the game that Wood was so amazing this preseason??? I must have missed it! He did a couple of nice things against the tiges..... But was not dominant.

same can be said for quite a few blokes picked.

As for all the TURNER selection face palming, schadenfraude.... he was not selected due to said geniuses assertion that his body wouldn't/couldn't cope with the rigours of league football.

Please.

insert adelaide player being assaulted.gif
insert phil davis's face being caved in.gif
insert smother on Selwood in the semi to effectively stop us losing.

So yeah, face palm is bang on.

Every year of his tenure reads the same.
Play the favs until they let him down at about round 8 we start picking by crazy metrics such as form and fitness.

Its a good looking team and I fully expect to win. But Wood should be playing, if not on form, then specifically on structural imbalance.

They have 2 big defenders.
We should be playing Wood to stretch them.

end of.

Anyone who genuinely thought Mason was a chance for Round 1 is off their rocker. He definitely showed some good signs in the NAB but is still miles away from pushing out one of Petrie, Waite, or Brown, and wouldn't fit in the same squad as them. I hope we get to see some more of him this year but he is not best 22 at the moment, simple as that.

I can understand why Wood wasn't picked (even though a bit disappointed), but it's wrong to say anyone who thought he was a chance to play is 'off their rocker'.

He was in fact a huge chance and just missed out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can understand why Wood wasn't picked (even though a bit disappointed), but it's wrong to say anyone who thought he was a chance to play is 'off their rocker'.

He was in fact a huge chance and just missed out.

This. He was clearly in the mix, even if he wasn't on the extended bench. I would have loved for him to play as well, but the fact is that while he showed some great glimpses he didn't force the match committee to pick him. I was hoping he would play this week but definitely not expecting it. Next week is different though, at home against the lions. IMO if a mid/forward/winger under performs this week then Wood is probably (and hopefully) the first one in line for a spot.

No need for people to be dicks about his exclusion this week, the team could have gone any of 20 different ways.

Can't wait til Rd 2 when Adams will be back. Need that experience and Kanye just doesn't have it.

Boiling eyes gif.

Good team, Wood is stiff but Tarrant is stiffer imo, he clearly looked better than Tippett preseason and wasn't even mentioned in the cut presser.

Yes, Wood is a different type of key forward to Petrie, Waite and Brown, but he is still a key forward. There's a reason clubs generally don't play four 190cm+ guys in the same forward line. He does play the same role in that he'd provide a tall target up forward - he might not play that role in exactly the same way, but that would still be his primary role.

Again - who would you take out of this week's team for Wood, from our forwards? I'd loved to see him named too, but not at the expense of any of Petrie, Waite, Brown, Thomas, Higgins, Harvey or Turner. You couldn't drop someone else from another area of the ground without unbalancing the team. So when you tell me your "surprised" he wasn't named, I just can't imagine where you thought he was going to fit in, or who you thought was going to miss instead of him.
It is hard to pick player A from player B when both have shown merit for selection. I don't envy the selectors job and am sure the majority of the 18-22 players are picked based on team structure/balance/opposition rather than simply 'whose better?'.

That said personally I would have chosen Wood over Brown and Turner for this match based on preseason form. I've nothing against Brown and Turner- they have the potential, like Wood, to be ten year stalwarts of the club.

I had Wood in my round 1 side prior to the Richmond NAB game, where Brown showed that he is getting his touch back and his ruck work looked noticeably better than last year. No doubt the impact Brown had on the team in the last part of the 2014 season gave him the runs on the board to push his selection ahead of Wood. I thought Mason might get the sub vest, but actually not all that concerned he isn't in the side this week, as I can't fault that 22.

This. He was clearly in the mix, even if he wasn't on the extended bench. I would have loved for him to play as well, but the fact is that while he showed some great glimpses he didn't force the match committee to pick him. I was hoping he would play this week but definitely not expecting it. Next week is different though, at home against the lions. IMO if a mid/forward/winger under performs this week then Wood is probably (and hopefully) the first one in line for a spot.

No need for people to be dicks about his exclusion this week, the team could have gone any of 20 different ways.
This is pretty much it. He was in the mix as a 20-25 player but his performance didn't demand he be selected. The coaching staff decided to go with Brown for his ability to give Goldy a chop out and also because the third forward mismatch would be more pronounced with Brown in the side. He's not missing out because it's some grand conspiracy against him or because the coach is playing favourites (this is a bizarre assertion; Scott has spoken glowingly about him everytime his name is bought up). He'll get his opportunity.

In Brad's pre-game interview (posted elsewhere) he mentioned Wood's omission and inferred that leaving him out of the 25 was probably the hardest decision the match committee had to make. He'll play next week I reckon. Anyone in a similar position (wing or half forward) who mildly underperforms will be out and Mason Wood in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back