Past #32: Mason Wood - 65 NM games/76 NM goals - delisted end '20 - SSP selection for STK '21 - GL Mase

Remove this Banner Ad

It's still pre-season, isn't it? Black's written off, after the game on the weekend, yet I didn't see any of the forwards dominate or play to their best. Petrie's last two games suggest we drop him?

Nekminnit, Black plays Round 1 amid claims of "coach's favourite", "undroppable" and "same ol' s**t" etc.

It's still pre-season, isn't it? Black's written off, after the game on the weekend, yet I didn't see any of the forwards dominate or play to their best. Petrie's last two games suggest we drop him?

Nekminnit, Black plays Round 1 amid claims of "coach's favourite", "undroppable" and "same ol' s**t" etc.

Photo's Kimbo. He clearly has photos. Plus it will be Aaron Blacks by then.

Would be disappointed if Black was selected round 1 ahead of Wood, simply for the fact that he's only just started full training, would be terrible man management for him to play Rd1.

Wood has only played One Senior game and one Nab game and he has taken his opportunity in both.. No one is saying Wood dominated against the Hawks but what he did he did it well.. On current form Wood is ahead of Black for me.. Black is in our best 22 at his best.. But he is badly out of touch for Wateva reason.. Black has been a walk up start for the last few yrs but all of a sudden with Waite,Brown and Wood his position isnt as secure and he has to fight for his position which i dont see him doing atm..

Certainly not written off... But with the addition of Waite & the emergence of Brown team structure doesn’t demand we play Black regardless of his form & injury.

He certainly put the team first last season & played under duress which I personally feel sent him backwards. Team first I guess

I would hate to see him get 2-3 games then be dropped. What worse not being selected in round 1?

For me, let him find his form in the VFL. We need him back to his best....It’s going to be a tough year for selectors & ego’s

5857_Yep_its_wood_1.jpg

Blacks claim to fame vis-à-vis Wood is that he has good balance good awareness and good hand skills
The selection issue with giving Wood a game is that we now have Waite, a bigger CHF type so with him and Petrie all the other fwds need to be v good a t ground level and pressuring
If Wood isn't quick then Black who is quick over 5 yards will be looked at first in the front 6

This is my thinking of wot the Selectors think

Blacks claim to fame vis-à-vis Wood is that he has good balance good awareness and good hand skills
The selection issue with giving Wood a game is that we now have Waite, a bigger CHF type so with him and Petrie all the other fwds need to be v good a t ground level and pressuring
If Wood isn't quick then Black who is quick over 5 yards will be looked at first in the front 6

This is my thinking of wot the Selectors think
Wood is a better runner than black... Speed and endurance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's easy to say Black struggled for touch etc, but he did most of last year too. I think he needs to find form in VFL, and I'm not convinced all issues are injury related. Confidence seems the bigger factor.

Wood plays round 1. If Black has a belter in final NAB game he can play too, I rate him also.

They aren't mutually exclusive.

Wood is a better runner than black... Speed and endurance.

That is sort of my point, it isn't the Running so much as the tackling, fall over get up again, the Recovery part of football, the Balance aspect.

For example, Lmac is a vastly superior footballer to Basti precisely becos he can tackle get up tackle again,
My complaint about Wright up til recently was exactly this, but he has improved
Another culprit is Mullett, falls over too much

So if Wood is able to tackle and pressure people well happy to see him in

Wood has better lung capacity than Black, no doubt. But Black is quicker i would think.

Re agility, Black has kicked some amazing goals through this very trait.

But IMO he can regain touch in the VFL. Mason to start round 1.

(pending form against the Tigers)

It comes down to belief. wood believes he belongs out there, until black does and starts playing with the authority expected of a KP player then he shouldn't be in the team.

Look at brown and the finals performance, self confidence, kicking set shots, aggression...it's a pre requisite. Black displays none of it right now and for this, he's out for mine Until he demands a return.

I wasn't but can't say that I caught any of his good games.

From what I've seen (little) Wood moves very well for his size.

Better than Black? Maybe, maybe not. But either way, unfair to call him a straight line player for mine.

Black's agility is off the charts, moreso that Wood's, but Wood is no slouch either. They'd be pretty similar in pace but Wood has the upper hand in endurance.

Black's agility is off the charts, moreso that Wood's, but Wood is no slouch either. They'd be pretty similar in pace but Wood has the upper hand in endurance.

Call me crazy but Wood strikes me as a more "durable" build. Sometimes you look at the height, weight & style and they are almost exactly the same but in practice that's not the case. I'm willing to admit this is based off very little but its just a feeling. I was never a huge fan of Black being a full time CHF for that reason. I always felt the Bulldogs flogged Murphy a bit in that role and it cost them with injuries later on.

I reserve the right to be completely wrong on this BTW, just a feeling.

Agree on Black also, he is freakishly skilled at ground level. Plays similar to Franklin in that respect although has nowhere near the strength from what I've seen (Buddy is a freak though).

Call me crazy but Wood strikes me as a more "durable" build. Sometimes you look at the height, weight & style and they are almost exactly the same but in practice that's not the case. I'm willing to admit this is based off very little but its just a feeling. I was never a huge fan of Black being a full time CHF for that reason. I always felt the Bulldogs flogged Murphy a bit in that role and it cost them with injuries later on.

I reserve the right to be completely wrong on this BTW, just a feeling.

Agree on Black also, he is freakishly skilled at ground level. Plays similar to Franklin in that respect although has nowhere near the strength from what I've seen (Buddy is a freak though).
I'm book marking this, so I hope you're not wrong!!!!!!!

#kindaagree

Remove this Banner Ad

Back