Certified Legendary Thread 34 Essendon* Players suspended for doping violations - No opposition fans. Check OP for thread rules

If Essendon* gets slapped on the wrist with a wet lettuce leaf, I will .......

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dan Brown takes some very tenuous rumours and theories and constantly relates them back to his central theme.

Would fit right in around here.

I think the returning players will come back pretty well after a solid pre-season as well as being mentally refreshed after a year out of the spotlight. Like everyone else, I agree they shouldn't be getting first pick in the draft either.
Game has changed plenty since their bans started. New coaches, team-mates, gameplan. They're a year older and slower too!

Plus with this lot they were bloody ordinary the back half of 2015. Nearly as many 100 point smackings as we got.

So Essenscum keeps chugging along after only being punished for severe governance issues over the record keeping concerning their illegal doping regime and not getting punished for the doping regime itself.

And the AFL will back them up in getting a first round pick for a player They took in the 2011 PSD with their pick 4. What club was Hibbard listed with before going into the PSD? Wikipedia doesn't list his previous team, and the only way you can go in the PSD is if you've been on an AFL list previously?

At least that's what I thought. But obviously Essendon can get around that!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think that this year is a wash in that regards.
They can not issue draft penalties for this year, that would be wrong.

The only logical timing left is when the appeal decision is handed down.
If the players get off then there should be no penalties. Jobe keeps his medal.

If the players appeal fails then the AFL has to address the doping issue as a doping issue and not as a governance issue. This is an integrity issue for the AFL's image, which has taken a severe battering on this matter.
They were absolute in their communication that the penalties to Essendon were for governance issues not doping.

They can't make the punishment up now. If they were going to strip them of the first pick they should have announced that earlier. It's too late.

They should not have been stripped of their first pick....No way....but they should have had their pick as for where they finished in 2015.
Everyone would have understood that to be fair.....but virtually handing them a first is patently unfair. It's closer to a peace-keeping apology.

Said it 100 times over and I'll keep saying it and it has nothing to do with Carlton getting the pick before them.
You watch the noise get louder when it dawns on everyone as to what is really happening.

Jobe should have also handed his Brownlow back. Surprised he hasn't already done so, actually. I wonder why?

They should not have been stripped of their first pick....No way....but they should have had their pick as for where they finished in 2015.
Everyone would have understood that to be fair.....but virtually handing them a first is patently unfair. It's closer to a peace-keeping apology.

Said it 100 times over and I'll keep saying it and it has nothing to do with Carlton getting the pick before them.
You watch the noise get louder when it dawns on everyone as to what is really happening.

Jobe should have also handed his Brownlow back. Surprised he hasn't already done so, actually. I wonder why?
Because he is a cheating campaigner from a team that encourages and fosters a culture of cheating!

Because he is a cheating campaigner from a team that encourages and fosters a culture of cheating!

He's the captain for gods sake.
I don't think of Jobe as being of bad character but do think he may have listened to the wrong people.......maybe in particular his father.

Jobe would have likely confided in Tim and Tim stuck up for his mate instead of his son. Maybe it didn't go quite like that but it wouldn't surprise.
Listening to Tim stick up for Hird and co may suggest a heavy guilt complex going on.

It's gotten so long in the tooth now that there's no way he can come out of this looking like he has one ounce of remorse or credibility.
If it was me, I would have made a big media spectacle of it at the start. Before any hearings or guilty verdicts. Call a press conference and say "I categorically deny that I have taken any banned substances to my knowledge, but in the interests of sportsmanship and what's best for the AFL, I will now hand back my Brownlow medal on the proviso that the AFL don't retrospectively award it to 2nd place until all avenues of appeal are exhausted. If I am found to be not guilty, I expect the medal to be handed back in a similar fashion."
Easy. That way you show remorse and sportsmanship, even if you don't have any. You are on public record that the medal is still yours, but being held in trust by the AFL until a definitive result is in.

It's gotten so long in the tooth now that there's no way he can come out of this looking like he has one ounce of remorse or credibility.
If it was me, I would have made a big media spectacle of it at the start. Before any hearings or guilty verdicts. Call a press conference and say "I categorically deny that I have taken any banned substances to my knowledge, but in the interests of sportsmanship and what's best for the AFL, I will now hand back my Brownlow medal on the proviso that the AFL don't retrospectively award it to 2nd place until all avenues of appeal are exhausted. If I am found to be not guilty, I expect the medal to be handed back in a similar fashion."
Easy. That way you show remorse and sportsmanship, even if you don't have any. You are on public record that the medal is still yours, but being held in trust by the AFL until a definitive result is in.

That sounds like a plan.............that has now sailed.

Essendon as a whole, just sat on things and drew out the whole process to their own detriment.

Well folks .... this thread far exceeds our recommended post cap. Normally I would start a new thread but there is not a lot happening on this topic at present.

Perhaps the general AFL discussion thread OR if things pick up again, I am sure some enterprising poster will start another purpose built thread.

Congratulations on all of your blood, sweat and tears (of laughter).

Signing off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back