Opinion No Opp. Supporters - Ampol Sponsorship: A Bridge too Far

Remove this Banner Ad

Don’t shoot the messenger, but windfarms seem to be popping up on agricultural land in coastal areas….you don’t see them in the middle of the outback!
It would be fantastic if all renewables were concentrated 1500 km west of Uluṟu in the middle of f*****g nowhere, but that’s not the case, is it?
They should stick one in this thread - the amount of hot air in here could probably generate enough energy to do away with all those hamster wheels. Those poor hamsters.

Today's announcement of Ampol sponsoring the club, has made me angry in a fairly profound way.

Ampol, as you might know is a brand of Petrol Station, formerly operating as CalTex in large parts of Australia.

They are obviously a massive provider of fossil fuels in this country and a key part of the lobbying groups to maintain Australia's dependency on these fuels.

They have a clear business interest in prolonging the use of fossil fuels in personal transportation for as long as possible with no regard to the existential danger this poses to large portions of the world, particularly Australia.

While I have been no fan of many a corporate sponsor, I have never felt that any of them were so egregious as to require an active resistance.

But I cannot stomach that the Carlton Football Club will be used to try and buy any sort of complicity in the ongoing crisis.

The Oil and Gas industry are actively trying to fight progress and transition to a clean energy system.

I cannot and will not support them, our great football club should not be used to support them.

I know that the mods may feel this is "political" but I feel it is too important, and central to how Carlton presents to its members for it to be shuffled off the board.

I intend to write to the club about this, and to look at other options in trying to dissuade the club from continuing with this immoral and frankly dangerous sponsorship.

Monday: Carlton signs a partnership with fossil fuels

Wednesday: Global leaders commit to transition away from fossil fuels

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

This may have been mentioned somewhere but I'm not reading the whole thread to find it if it was, but Ampol does have a future energy strategy and have plans to be a part of the net zero carbon omissions future. Isn't this a good thing?

I can't really explain the problems here without it being SRP stuff.

But if you like I can PM you the explanation.

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I can't really explain the problems here without it being SRP stuff.

But if you like I can PM you the explanation.

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Happy to be PMd the gist of it.

If Ampol were planning to be good environmental citizens going forward, that's the arm we should focus on.

Every thread on bf people that have an agenda think they are so superior to everyone else.
On this thread i wonder how big their 4wdrives are?
Holidays jetting here there and everywhere or if they are Blues fans flying interstate.

4 car families etc.

Every thread on bf people that have an agenda think they are so superior to everyone else.
On this thread i wonder how big their 4wdrives are?
Holidays jetting here there and everywhere or if they are Blues fans flying interstate.

4 car families etc.
You don't have an agenda? Interests that you want maintained?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are moral absolutes and limits where sponsorships are concerned.

DtprUWbVsAAi1MB

Still waiting to find out what the difference is between Ampol and Hyundai.............................................

....one of the zealots must know surely
If you are still waiting, you would be the zealot

I was out on the road for work yesterday, in what I would consider a semi-rural area. I’m usually a Shell man, due to my corporate fuel card, but found myself getting near empty, and after a quick Google search, I discovered that the closest and only service station for quite some time, was indeed an Ampol service station.

Not wanting to take any chances, particularly as it was in the middle of the thunderstorm in sunny Victoria, I made my way to the Ampol servo.

On arrival, I observed a man who appeared to be in his mid 30’s, wearing an Ampol branded polo shirt, struggling to move a loaded skip bin in the pouring rain. It quickly became apparent that the full to the brink skip had been placed on a landscaped area, which was topped with some form of fine crushed aggregate, and due to the heavy rain and the weight of the now loaded bin, the aggregate had become like quicksand, not allowing the castor wheels to function.

It was even more evident, that the man was trying to shift the bin so it could be collected by the waiting garbage man, who sat in his truck on the nearby hardstand area, growing more and more impatient as every second ticked by, and not willing to bring his truck closer, in fear of also getting bogged.

Feeling somewhat festive, I sprung to action, jumping out of my car and getting on one side of the skip bin, and together, we pushed and pulled the bin inch by inch, until we finally made it to the hardstand area, where it was moved freely to a convenient pick up point.

Good deed done, I made my way to the bowser, filled up and went inside to pay.

Whilst being served by another staff member, the man I had helped came into the store, expressing gratitude for my assistance. We chatted generally for a while, and I learnt that he was in charge of the business operations, having somewhat recently taken over as new management. He had a young family, and was currently working 7 days a week, trying to get ahead. He was also reasonably new to AFL, and just happened to be a Carlton fan.

We said our farewells and I had just made my way back to the car, when I see the man chasing me out of the servo, carrying a big box of fried chicken and a can of coke. He tried to give me both, which I refused, but he kept insisting, saying he wanted to thank me for my assistance. I told him I was not hungry, and his praise was already enough to fulfil me (this wasn’t all true, I was starving, but trying to watch my waistline before the debauchery which inevitably occurs at Christmas time). He once again thanked me and said he was planning to go to his first AFL game next year, and assured me he’d buy me a beer if he ran into me. I accepted this and then was on my way again, with a smile on my face.

Now by chance, I jumped on to BigFooty this morning, having only sporadically checked in since the draft period ended, and the first thread I see is this one. I was unaware about the new sponsorship announcement until now.

And I’m now left feeling torn?!?! Was my act of kindness simply a good deed, or through my good deed, have I inadvertently fueled the fossil fuel merchant?

Are we ever justified in what we do? When we act, even with the best of intentions, when we interfere with the world, do we always risk a new disaster that mightn’t be of our making, but that wouldn’t occur without our actuon?

I’m now left wondering what I should do. Should I:

a) Go back there next Wednesday, and push the bin back onto the landscaped area.

b) Bury my head in the sand and pretend nothing happened.

c) Try to convince the man he should make a living in another line of work.

d) Sell all my fossil fuel reliant belongings and go off grid.

e) Tell my better half that we can’t travel an hour to the in-laws house for Christmas lunch, in an attempt to reduce carbon emissions.

f) any other ideas / suggestions.

Note: I’ve got a heap of work to do, but clearly procrastinating by writing the above dribble. If you’ve made it until the end, well done for sticking at it, but I get the feeling you may also be procrastinating. Get to it!

I hope every one has a very Merry Christmas and GO BLUES!!

I was out on the road for work yesterday, in what I would consider a semi-rural area. I’m usually a Shell man, due to my corporate fuel card, but found myself getting near empty, and after a quick Google search, I discovered that the closest and only service station for quite some time, was indeed an Ampol service station.

Not wanting to take any chances, particularly as it was in the middle of the thunderstorm in sunny Victoria, I made my way to the Ampol servo.

On arrival, I observed a man who appeared to be in his mid 30’s, wearing an Ampol branded polo shirt, struggling to move a loaded skip bin in the pouring rain. It quickly became apparent that the full to the brink skip had been placed on a landscaped area, which was topped with some form of fine crushed aggregate, and due to the heavy rain and the weight of the now loaded bin, the aggregate had become like quicksand, not allowing the castor wheels to function.

It was even more evident, that the man was trying to shift the bin so it could be collected by the waiting garbage man, who sat in his truck on the nearby hardstand area, growing more and more impatient as every second ticked by, and not willing to bring his truck closer, in fear of also getting bogged.

Feeling somewhat festive, I sprung to action, jumping out of my car and getting on one side of the skip bin, and together, we pushed and pulled the bin inch by inch, until we finally made it to the hardstand area, where it was moved freely to a convenient pick up point.

Whilst being served by another staff member, the man I had helped came into the store, expressing gratitude for my assistance. We chatted generally for a while, and I learnt that he was in charge of the business operations, having somewhat recently taken over as new management. He had a young family, and was currently working 7 days a week, trying to get ahead. He was also reasonably new to AFL, and just happened to be a Carlton fan.

We said our farewells and I had just made my way back to the car, when I see the man chasing me out of the servo, carrying a big box of fried chicken and a can of coke. He tried to give me both, which I refused, but he kept insisting, saying he wanted to thank me for my assistance. I told him I was not hungry, and his praise was already enough to fulfil me (this wasn’t all true, I was starving, but trying to watch my waistline before the debauchery which inevitably occurs at Christmas time). He once again thanked me and said he was planning to go to his first AFL game next year, and assured me he’d buy me a beer if he ran into me. I accepted this and then was on my way again, with a smile on my face.

Now by chance, I jumped on to BigFooty this morning, having only sporadically checked in since the draft period ended, and the first thread I see is this one. I was unaware about the new sponsorship announcement until now.

And I’m now left feeling torn?!?! Was my act of kindness simply a good deed, or through my good deed, have I inadvertently fueled the fossil fuel merchant?

Are we ever justified in what we do? When we act, even with the best of intentions, when we interfere with the world, do we always risk a new disaster that mightn’t be of our making, but that wouldn’t occur without our actuon?

a) Go back there next Wednesday, and push the bin back onto the landscaped area.

e) Tell my better half that we can’t travel an hour to the in-laws house for Christmas lunch, in an attempt to reduce carbon emissions.

Note: I’ve got a heap of work to do, but clearly procrastinating by writing the above dribble. If you’ve made it until the end, well done for sticking at it, but I get the feeling you may also be procrastinating. Get to it!

Telling your better half that you can't go is definately a bridge too far.

POTY

Remove this Banner Ad

Back