Opinion No Opp. Supporters - Ampol Sponsorship: A Bridge too Far

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you go to a specific servo to fill up or do you just go to the closest one?
Not sure on relevance here mate, though I appreciate the reply

My point is that how is it wrong to be sponsored by a maker of fuel...but ok to be sponsored by a maker of vehicles that turn the fuel into the nasty stuff?

I dont think anybody revoked their membership over Hyundai............

Not sure on relevance here mate, though I appreciate the reply

My point is that how is it wrong to be sponsored by a maker of fuel...but ok to be sponsored by a maker of vehicles that turn the fuel into the nasty stuff?

I dont think anybody revoked their membership over Hyundai............
I guess my thinking is that it comes down to intent. Hyundai sponsor because they want to sell more product and think it will help them to achieve that goal. Ampol isn't providing sponsorship to sell more product - they are attempting to launder their reputation. The Club/Board have decided they are comfortable in putting a value on laundering that reputation through us - they are obviously comfortable with that decision. It doesn't mean everyone else needs to be.

I think you’re very naive in relation to service stations, 7-eleven changed the model many years back, Coles took it to another level and service stations effectively became a convenience store

That’s where the money is made, it’s not made selling fuel as the margins are very thin

Why aren’t BP, Shell, Caltex, 7-eleven et al doing the same thing to “launder” their reputation ? 🤣

Ampol are clearly doing it for brand recognition and to get a bigger slice of the pie

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I guess my thinking is that it comes down to intent. Hyundai sponsor because they want to sell more product and think it will help them to achieve that goal. Ampol isn't providing sponsorship to sell more product - they are attempting to launder their reputation. The Club/Board have decided they are comfortable in putting a value on laundering that reputation through us - they are obviously comfortable with that decision. It doesn't mean everyone else needs to be.
I think you’re very naive in relation to service stations, 7-eleven changed the model many years back, Coles took it to another level and service stations effectively became a convenience store

That’s where the money is made, it’s not made selling fuel as the margins are very thin

Why aren’t BP, Shell, Caltex, 7-eleven et al doing the same thing to “launder” their reputation ? 🤣

Ampol are clearly doing it for brand recognition and to get a bigger slice of the pie

Exactly.

And their stated ambition is to broaden their business beyond transport fuel and convenience retail into broader energy solutions and to position the brand to be highly relevant no matter what those future energy solutions are.

This isn't about greenwashing. This is about creating the kind of mainstream brand awareness that will allow them to play in the energy space, whatever that space looks like in the coming decades.

It's a really basic marketing strategy. Create high brand awareness in order to pave the way for consumer acceptance for diversification of offering.

Virgin music became Virgin Atlantic became Virgin Mobile, etc etc. Precisely because they invested in the Virgin brand.

If this was about 'reputation laundering' they wouldn't be sponsoring an AFL club. This is all about getting as many people to see the logo/brand as many times as possible over many years.

If anything, dropping this kind of money on a pure brand awareness sponsorship is a huge tell that they're planning to move beyond selling petrol. Which is kind of what people want them to do is it not??

So you'd walk past a 7/11 to go to a Foodary?

So you'd walk past a 7/11 to go to a Foodary?

I’d be going to the one that was cheapest and based on ease to get to.
Used to be the local coles servo, now it’s the independent who’s fuel is always cheaper and now has a much better convenience store feel that is pricing competitive.
They also have a car wash service and some decent Mexican in a food truck on the site that they clearly rent out to make a bit of extra coin…

I have cooled my jets a bit here.

But I must say I am disheartened by the climate minimisation and the general ambivalence here.

Things will only be getting worse, and we will not be exempt, that's why it's important to push in the right direction and to NOT reward those who have held us back.

Anyway, going back to quiet mode.

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

There's an article on The Age website right now about a person being sent to jail for laundering money on behalf of a crime syndicate. It might be a good idea for you to read it so that you can get an idea as to what launder and laundering actually mean. Whether or not you agree with the Ampol sponsorship or not there is no way that they are "concealing the origins of money obtained illegally".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's an article on The Age website right now about a person being sent to jail for laundering money on behalf of a crime syndicate. It might be a good idea for you to read it so that you can get an idea as to what launder and laundering actually mean. Whether or not you agree with the Ampol sponsorship or not there is no way that they are "concealing the origins of money obtained illegally".
Launder also means to wash my clothes?

Certainly not only an allusion to crime.

Reputation Laundering is a whole thing

backing up homer simpson GIF

Actually just received a survey from the club asking my thoughts on the social and environmental governance of the club and how I see it affecting the club moving forward.

In the free comment section i mentioned perhaps the announcement could have been focused on any positive steps Ampol are making towards the renewable transition etc.

So the club are either reacting to some of the member feedback which is good, or they have coincidentally considered potential issues that may arise from their partnership with Ampol which is even better.

May be too little too late for B&S and others, but in my mind in the competitive sporting landscape where there are only so much $'s available, there's not always a 'perfect' sponsor ready or able to splash the cash.

I like many others here, would like to leave the pokies out of any dealings with the club.

Lets all "poke" the club about that one!!

So by the definition that you have provided you are saying that they are trying to cover up "unethical, corrupt or criminal behaviour" by this sponsorship?
If I had a company like that the last thing I would be doing is plastering its name on the biggest club in the lands jumpers...............

So by the definition that you have provided you are saying that they are trying to cover up "unethical, corrupt or criminal behaviour" by this sponsorship?
Yes, lobbying to prolong fossil fuel use is unethical.

It's not illegal, arguably lobbying should be as it is legalised corruption.

This seems straightforward

Yes, lobbying to prolong fossil fuel use is unethical.

It's not illegal, arguably lobbying should be as it is legalised corruption.

This seems straightforward

Lobbying (of all types) is legalised corruption? This seems straightforward? So if a greenpeace lobbies to stop a new dam for example that is legalised corruption?

I swore to myself that I wouldn't enter this debate as people (such as yourself) are so convinced that their arguments are absolute that they lose all perspective.

Fossil fuel companies are run by intelligent people with huge bankrolls. Yes it is in their interests to continue with fossil fuels as long as possible. It is also in their interests to understand that things are changing however slowly that is. They know that in 20 years they will either adjust and find a niche in the "new" energy market or shut up shop.

Anyway I respect your opinion but cannot understand tolerance of our club receiving pokie money but ripping up a membership due to a sponsorship with a company that claims to be keen to (eventually) move away from fossil fuels and help with new energy sources. I guess that's the problem with absolutism though, some things can only be 100% wrong.

Anyway over and out for me.

Lobbying (of all types) is legalised corruption? This seems straightforward? So if a greenpeace lobbies to stop a new dam for example that is legalised corruption?

I swore to myself that I wouldn't enter this debate as people (such as yourself) are so convinced that their arguments are absolute that they lose all perspective.

Fossil fuel companies are run by intelligent people with huge bankrolls. Yes it is in their interests to continue with fossil fuels as long as possible. It is also in their interests to understand that things are changing however slowly that is. They know that in 20 years they will either adjust and find a niche in the "new" energy market or shut up shop.

Anyway I respect your opinion but cannot understand tolerance of our club receiving pokie money but ripping up a membership due to a sponsorship with a company that claims to be keen to (eventually) move away from fossil fuels and help with new energy sources. I guess that's the problem with absolutism though, some things can only be 100% wrong.

Anyway over and out for me.

You think Greenpeace lobbies like the Australian Petroleum Lobby?

I have already compared pokies and fossil fuels as social ills.

I have taken pains to express nuance but people can only imagine that I am extreme. Easier to write off than argue with, I guess

You think Greenpeace lobbies like the Australian Petroleum Lobby?

I have already compared pokies and fossil fuels as social ills.

I have taken pains to express nuance but people can only imagine that I am extreme. Easier to write off than argue with, I guess

So there are different levels of lobbying and ones that you agree with are O.K.?

You cancelled your membership due to Ampol sponsoring but left it in place when we received income from poker machines so have indicated that you see petrol companies as more evil than poker machines. That's the thing about absolutism, it doesn't allow any nuance at all. I don't see you as extreme, just someone that has painted themselves into a corner.

So there are different levels of lobbying and ones that you agree with are O.K.?

You cancelled your membership due to Ampol sponsoring but left it in place when we received income from poker machines so have indicated that you see petrol companies as more evil than poker machines. That's the thing about absolutism, it doesn't allow any nuance at all. I don't see you as extreme, just someone that has painted themselves into a corner.

This is ridiculous.

Greenpeace isn't spending thousands to sit at tables next to ministers at industry fundraisers. They "lobby" by trying to get meeting with ministers, they mostly fail.

I cancelled my membership because the club made an active choice which contradicts my core beliefs and is part and parcel of a system which poses an existential risk to society.

Pokies are abominable, and I loathe them, but I figured that they would be sold out eventually.

If I had cancelled over pokies, would you support that as well? I think it's a bit of a distraction.

What corner am I painted into? Climate Change is real and the failure of the world (the rich and powerful) to do anything is bad? I don't want the Club to support inaction?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back