Opinion No Opp. Supporters - Ampol Sponsorship: A Bridge too Far

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve already started moving what I can to do my bit, because I can afford to do so…

But my bit, putting solar panels on the roof of the house, buying an EV to drive around town, turning off and disposing of gas appliances such as stove and central heating are an absolute pittance compared to what it will cost to get to your utopia of zero fossil fuels.

That’s the problem with green zealots like yourself who like to ram it down people’s throats of just how “easy” it is to do yet have absolutely zero idea of how much doing so will affect the lives of millions here in Australia and billions around the world. Utility bills just about doubling in 2 years is but a drop in the ocean

It costs money, more than you could ever dream of…be thankful change is happening wherever you look, but be realistic in how just how quickly it can really happen

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Good on you for this.

I'm not sure many people know, but the concept of 'carbon footprint' was developed by the advertising agency Ogilvy on behalf of their client BP in 2004. BP wanted to shift the onus and responsibility for carbon emissions away from big oil and large institutions (including governments) and turn it into an individual responsibility.

So from that we got the absolute nonsense of airlines doing nothing to transition to synthetic fuels, instead asking individuals to pay extra to 'offset' their flight. And so on.

While it's definitely a useful metric, and it really helps engage individual people, the genesis and often the application of it is deeply cynical. In reality, the only real way to genuinely tackle climate change is to vote for leaders and governments who will make it a very real priority. This happens at scale from the top down, or it doesn't happen at all.

Don’t shoot the messenger, but windfarms seem to be popping up on agricultural land in coastal areas….you don’t see them in the middle of the outback!
It would be fantastic if all renewables were concentrated 1500 km west of Uluṟu in the middle of f*****g nowhere, but that’s not the case, is it?

Apologies if it seemed I was shooting at you, not my intention

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hydrogen fuelled internal combustion engines are the future.

I'm personally very excited for it. I'm a big motorsports fan, one of the reasons im against electric cars is just the lack of sound they have.

These hydrogen engines produce the exact same sound as fuel powered cars, and seem to make the same power too. Would be nice to see these engines in the f1 one day, bring it back to the glory days.

As for the sponsorship, I'm more concerned with the Hyundai sponsorship! I'd rather we have a sponsor with racing history like Nissan or Honda!

On SM-G930F using BigFooty.com mobile app

My view is that the topic can’t be discussed without getting into politics. The mods have tried repeatedly to ask people to talk about the sponsorship and Carlton FC. Most of the posters fail to do as they’ve been asked.

I think by now, we know where most people sit who want to contribute to the discussion. You could run through and tick off the people who read the Australian. You could run through and tick off the people who watch the ABC. There are others who try to reconcile positions.

As I say, I don’t think the topic can be addressed without getting into politics. Time to shut up shop. You can always chat separately with the mods about what happens to your petition.

So because you don’t have an issue with the sponsorship it shouldn’t be discussed by those who do have an issue with it?

Deciding to partner with fossil fuels is a decision which is inherently political.

Deciding to partner with fossil fuels is a decision which is inherently political.

Yeah, nah.

It is a financial decision, first and foremost!

The shift away from fossil fuels is happening, SLOWLY.

(IMO) In no way does the Carlton Football Club partnering with Ampol detract from (or enhance) the change happening in the community, in the country, or on the planet. Responsible citizens will not alter their path to sustainable energy off a club sponsorship.

The most the alliance would do is shift the market share a little, however is somewhat unlikely to do that. We tend to fill up based on proximity and perhaps consistency of quality of supply. (No dirty fuel). Those willing and most importantly ABLE to reduce their carbon footprint will continue to do so at a similar rate. Governments won’t be altering legislation on the back of a sponsorship.

There are only so many sponsorship dollars out there. If we apply a fine tooth comb to most large organisations looking to facilitate a tax break as well as gleaning some promotional opportunity, we could find fault ethically or morally. The most it will do is shift the market share. Fuels and fuel derivatives are currently an essential commodity, and as such are a constant in current society. Consumers must procure fuels from somewhere as life stands, shifting supplier allegiance does not constitute an abominable evil. The level of National fuel consumption will not in any way be affected by this arrangement and accordingly I don’t see the necessity to rail against it as opposed to the myriad of ills impacting our society.

Yeah, nah.

It is a financial decision, first and foremost!

The shift away from fossil fuels is happening, SLOWLY.

(IMO) In no way does the Carlton Football Club partnering with Ampol detract from (or enhance) the change happening in the community, in the country, or on the planet. Responsible citizens will not alter their path to sustainable energy off a club sponsorship.

The most the alliance would do is shift the market share a little, however is somewhat unlikely to do that. We tend to fill up based on proximity and perhaps consistency of quality of supply. (No dirty fuel). Those willing and most importantly ABLE to reduce their carbon footprint will continue to do so at a similar rate. Governments won’t be altering legislation on the back of a sponsorship.

There are only so many sponsorship dollars out there. If we apply a fine tooth comb to most large organisations looking to facilitate a tax break as well as gleaning some promotional opportunity, we could find fault ethically or morally. The most it will do is shift the market share. Fuels and fuel derivatives are currently an essential commodity, and as such are a constant in current society. Consumers must procure fuels from somewhere as life stands, shifting supplier allegiance does not constitute an abominable evil. The level of National fuel consumption will not in any way be affected by this arrangement and accordingly I don’t see the necessity to rail against it as opposed to the myriad of ills impacting our society.

It’s a financial decision at odds with our stated values and key performance areas, and at odds with the ethics of a significant minority of the supporter base. Not you, not everyone. But supporters like me and the others you see in this thread.

I'm personally very excited for it. I'm a big motorsports fan, one of the reasons im against electric cars is just the lack of sound they have.

These hydrogen engines produce the exact same sound as fuel powered cars, and seem to make the same power too. Would be nice to see these engines in the f1 one day, bring it back to the glory days.

As for the sponsorship, I'm more concerned with the Hyundai sponsorship! I'd rather we have a sponsor with racing history like Nissan or Honda!

Ya got to wind the window down and go vroooooom a lot................:thumbsu:

Collingwood, Richmond and * members;

"Ah sheet, me car is almost empty!"
"Luv, look there's an Ampol just down the road mate!"
"Nah luv. They're fricken Carlscum, not going to put that blue sheet in my beast!"

Positives, 300000+ members will no longer purchase Ampol fuel.. we're helping to save the planet.

It’s a financial decision at odds with our stated values and key performance areas, and at odds with the ethics of a significant minority of the supporter base. Not you, not everyone. But supporters like me and the others you see in this thread.

Which value would that be?

IMG_0347.JPG

Which value would that be?

View attachment 1870882

Got to love Core values developed at Management retreats. Enron's were Integrity, Communication, Respect and Excellence. We have 3 of the 4 (It is a bit disappointing that Carlton doesn't value Communication). One of my previous employers had all 4 plus an extra one and gave me a paperweight to put on my desk to remind me of them every day.

Sadly few organisations filter every decision through the core value test and they tend to be just meaningless words.

Got to love Core values developed at Management retreats. Enron's were Integrity, Communication, Respect and Excellence. We have 3 of the 4 (It is a bit disappointing that Carlton doesn't value Communication). One of my previous employers had all 4 plus an extra one and gave me a paperweight to put on my desk to remind me of them every day.

Sadly few organisations filter every decision through the core value test and they tend to be just meaningless words.
OMFG!!! Those management retreats and workshops are a right royal wankfest!!! Lots of butcher's paper, a whole bunch of new core values, everyone up and about......and of course nothing changes, except they've ticked it off on their KPI's to get their bonus.

But Carlton's current core values are:

Achievement
Motivation
Performance
Openness
Leadership

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do members get fuel discounts?

I don't have a problem with the deal.

We have no gas at our house. Everything is electric and we have solar panels. I have no issue with electric cars, or alternative fuels, but the technology is still in its infancy and in a lot of circumstances, the vehicles don't meet the requirements of the user (and don't get me started on how ugly Teslas are).

What's the difference between mining oil and coal to mining lithium? The disposal of all of these spent batteries? The toxic fires when the batteries explode? The fossil fuels still currently required to generate all the electricity to charge them and operate the mining equipment? The massive amounts of water needed for mining/processing, which then becomes polluted?

All we hear is electric is better for the environment - zero emissions, etc.

We still need oil for plastics too. Fossil fuels are going to be around for a long time. It's still very much a necessity, so why shouldn't the club benefit from it?

Collingwood, Richmond and * members;

"Ah sheet, me car is almost empty!"
"Luv, look there's an Ampol just down the road mate!"
"Nah luv. They're fricken Carlscum, not going to put that blue sheet in my beast!"

Positives, 300000+ members will no longer purchase Ampol fuel.. we're helping to save the planet.
This but in reverse though. Who actively avoids certain servo's or actively seeks out a certain brand (except for weird campaigners queuing for 45 minutes at Costco to save $5)? Would even the most loyal supporter drive past the Shell to use the Ampol 2km down the road because Ampol are sponsors of the club?
So my question is what value are Ampol getting out of a sponsorship like this? They aren't tipping in the dollars out of the goodness of their heart - if they aren't going to increase sales then what is the value proposition for them? Answer makes me a bit uneasy.

Hydrogen fuelled internal combustion engines are the future.

Nah that is just spin from Toyota they have basically hitched their wagon to all of the new power train options for marketing and relevance.

There are fundamental physics reasons why hydrogen won’t work accept for very large things like ships and maybe semi trucks.

Its energy density is too low for smaller applications and it is a very leaky gas meaning it leaks through metal and is why we can’t simply replace hydrogen in our lpg gas system/network.

For the next few years lithium batteries are the go for smaller mobile applications then as we improve the performance of sodium batteries they will become the club house leader.

This but in reverse though. Who actively avoids certain servo's or actively seeks out a certain brand (except for weird campaigners queuing for 45 minutes at Costco to save $5)? Would even the most loyal supporter drive past the Shell to use the Ampol 2km down the road because Ampol are sponsors of the club?
So my question is what value are Ampol getting out of a sponsorship like this? They aren't tipping in the dollars out of the goodness of their heart - if they aren't going to increase sales then what is the value proposition for them? Answer makes me a bit uneasy.
Maybe they're becoming a new fast food joint? Thus advertising.

Up to 32 signatures since tomorrow. Thank you for those who have signed and shared the petition:

OMFG!!! Those management retreats and workshops are a right royal wankfest!!! Lots of butcher's paper, a whole bunch of new core values, everyone up and about......and of course nothing changes, except they've ticked it off on their KPI's to get their bonus.

Achievement
Motivation
Performance
Openness
Leadership
No I think they're the six from the pic above. They're in the most recent Annual Report.

Achievement
Motivation
Performance
Openness
Leadership
Who doesn’t love a couple of days in a 5 star hotel a $400 dinner at nice restaurant, a night out on the piss and the pantomime of being lead to pick 5 out of the 10 standard core values every Other company has by management consultants charging $800 an hour

Remove this Banner Ad

Back