Delisted # 8: Martin Gleeson - Not offered a contract, finishes his Essendon career on 97 AFL games

Remove this Banner Ad

I wasn't really too perturbed by him shirking that contest. His game is never going to be bullocking through opponents, it'll be his quick mind and agility that gets him through.

I'm really glad he played. That was a perfect taste of finals footy for him. He'll go into pre-season with plenty of motivation to bust his balls.

You're telling me there's a lot more potential locked away in their somewhere?!
The only reason why we got him so 'cheap' was his height (on the low side) and he wasn't as advanced as some of the other players.. due to him playing a mix of sports etc..

We haven't even begun to see his full potential yet.. and by all reports he is a pure 'sponge' in terms of knowledge etc etc.. just latches onto every word.

Couple more pi
The only reason why we got him so 'cheap' was his height (on the low side) and he wasn't as advanced as some of the other players.. due to him playing a mix of sports etc..

We haven't even begun to see his full potential yet.. and by all reports he is a pure 'sponge' in terms of knowledge etc etc.. just latches onto every word.
couple more picks like that and there is no way this "no top draft picks" thing will hurt us.
(Much)

It will be a massive setback if EFC loses Gleeson - I am not one to wrap up players, but if everything goes right, I see Gleeson as a future top 20 player in the AFL.

Twomey reckons the hang up is contract length, no mention of any realistic possibility of him leaving.

I'd just cave and give him the 3rd or 4th year tbh

Have been slightly concerned about the delay in his contract extension all year.
Feel like he might want out for some reason. Probably Carlton in his ear with the offer of more.

The club has been pretty strong on not giving long contracts to young players, and not giving long contracts full stop.

Four years feels a touch too long for a bloke with under 50 games to his name.

time will tell.

naahh, how could you hate a face like marty's?
qCvOfF3.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The club has been pretty strong on not giving long contracts to young players, and not giving long contracts full stop.

Four years feels a touch too long for a bloke with under 50 games to his name.

time will tell.
Yeah. If he gets injured again we're stuck paying him. Greedy lot we've got at the club these days, anyone would think they won a final.

Even Bomber said last year that it is amazing how much some of the guys are chasing considering they haven't achieved anything.

We really have to start adopting a payment structure like they have at Geelong and Hawthorn. So many players from them clubs are playing on under market value yet our players are all asking for long contracts and top dollar.

Even Bomber said last year that it is amazing how much some of the guys are chasing considering they haven't achieved anything.

We really have to start adopting a payment structure like they have at Geelong and Hawthorn. So many players from them clubs are playing on under market value yet our players are all asking for long contracts and top dollar.

Hurley, Watson, Ryder all signed for below what would be considered market value - so how you mean?

All I can think of re: Gleeson and leaving for Carlton is the Cornes brothers. They were taught to hate Port Adelaide growing up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back