Past #36: Shannon Watt - drafted at #14 in '97 ND - 155 games - 0 Brownlow votes - original whipping boy

Do you agree with the 'Watt' decision?

• Yes

Votes: 23 53.5%
  • No

Votes: 20 46.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Post Match Nth vs WC when asked by Dwayne Russell "Is there anything positive to take out of tonight?" Laidley responded with the following :

"Oh look, I thought Sa... Sansbury on Sampi for, before he got tired was, he was pretty good you know, ahh, he's been in terrific form so, I thought Eddie, you know battled away pretty well and I thought, you know, ahh we we took Shannon Watt off for a rest half way through the ahh, second quarter then he came back onto Lynch who'd kicked 4 goals, umm in the first half, and he sort of ended up, and the ball was coming down there, you know, pretty freely in the second half, umm, you know, we psss..., when the score was like it was we decided that well, ttttsssshhh, Wells and, and Harvey and Simpson and Grant were, were more important to us in the home and away so we just, you know, let some of the youngs go, youngsters on there and ahh, you know, look they're a very good side."

So Watt needed a rest after having 4 goals kicked on him. I would have thought that he needed to be dragged after having 4 goals kicked on him.

And if I understand Laidley's eloquent use of the English language correctly, he believes that Watt bounced back in the second half and considered that a positive. Watt has had enough experience at full back that the coach should be demanding he play 4 quarters and not 2.

5 years on & I'm still trying to figure out what the hell this all meant.

Dayne Beams = The Stalk.

Eddie got tired.:rolleyes:

IIRC, in the drawn game against the Swans (when that nice Mr Roos cheated and got caught out), Eddie got so tired in the last 1/4 he just stood statue-like on the western wing at the Dome for several minutes while the play raged up and down past him.

Shannon Watt has nothing to be ashamed of. He gave his all for North.

I'm not sure the same can be said for Eddie. Except for the day he kicked 5 on the Coon-Dog out at the Western Oval.

ON the ABC broadcast, Steven Williams was talking us up saying we weren't far off the top four sides on what he saw today.
He then pointed that McIntosh was out, and that we had done well considering Shannon Watt was out too.:eek:

ON the ABC broadcast, Steven Williams was talking us up saying we weren't far off the top four sides on what he saw today.
He then pointed that McIntosh was out, and that we had done well considering Shannon Watt was out too.:eek:

Slug Jordan reckons he will return next week.:thumbsu:

Believe it or not, he actually called him Watts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He probably meant Shannon Gibson, but he's gone to Hawthorn.

Its a very fair call I would've thought. The question still remains, "Did Watt `make it' as an AFL footballer"?

Shannon Watt - Most pathetic professional sportsperson of the last 50 years.

How he got to play 150 games is a travesty to blokes like Shane Harvey and Sam Power.

Only two times i've rung SEN were about Watt.

1) "Finey is there a player in the AFL with less skill than Shannon Watt"

2) "Do you know he is about to break the record for most games without a brownlow vote?"

On another forum my nick was "Sack Watt"

Just on Watt if anyone was interested, he's actually in China now with his wife...playing in a league over there.

No word if he's earned any votes yet.

Just on Watt if anyone was interested, he's actually in China now with his wife...playing in a league over there..

Yes, he is currently in China and may be back shortly for a few games of football.

Played with Shannon recently and he is a top bloke, great club-man and always speaks highly of the North Melbourne Football Club.

Shannon Watt - Most pathetic professional sportsperson of the last 50 years.

"Most pathetic professional sportsperson" is rather unfounded.

And, that tag would apply more to Shane Harvey (knowing him as I do) than Shannon Watt.

He had notable deficiencies but Shannon's professionalism and commitment couldn't be questioned.

Yes, he is currently in China and may be back in a shortly for a few games of football.

Played with Shannon recently and he is a top bloke, great club-man and always speaks highly of the North Melbourne Football Club.

Yeah, I agree HH.

Shannon used to frustrate me no end when he was a player, but he was always a top clubman and he tried his guts out despite his limitations. It's not as if he picked himself in the side every week.

Taking potshots at the bloke now is pretty pathetic.

Yep, Swatter and his wife Jackie are one of the nicest couples I've met. I believe Jackie is teaching English over there.
Swatter was played in an unsuitable role for much of his career due to our inability to find a real fullback. Was also an excellent cricketer, which he gave up to play footy at North!

Back