Past #37: Will Fordham - pick 33 '14 Rookie Draft - thanks for your service WIll

Remove this Banner Ad

I called it early, this kid has what it takes.
I would debut him V the Giants
Think L.Anthony with skill
With Nicky Dal and Wellsy coming back in a few weeks, we need to give him a taste
Not this week, but surely sometime this year?
Yep definetly this year, Agree with spurs would be happy to have him in for the giants game or the suns game after the bye.
His speed and skill will be handy.

He'd have to be up there with Maj and Currie as the most in form players in reserves

As badly as we need this type of player in the senior team right now, I hope the reason he hasn't been included thus far is to protect him from playing before he's ready, and potentially losing his confidence.

There's nothing wrong at all with a rookie 19yo tearing up the VFL for a year or more before he plays with the big boys. Time spent in the gym, honing his craft on the field and building a rapport and respect with his future teammates - earning it.

This is how you develop a real player.

As badly as we need this type of player in the senior team right now, I hope the reason he hasn't been included thus far is to protect him from playing before he's ready, and potentially losing his confidence.

There's nothing wrong at all with a rookie 19yo tearing up the VFL for a year or more before he plays with the big boys. Time spent in the gym, honing his craft on the field and building a rapport and respect with his future teammates - earning it.

I was thinking he was too skinny but then I remembered the Hill brothers and Gunston. s**t even Kayne Turner

It worked with Dumont to a large degree and has worked for the Hawks real well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Insofar as our player development goes, I am reminded (as ever) of the wisdom of Seinfeld:

'If every instinct you have is wrong, then the opposite, would have to be right.'

Insofar as our player development goes, I am reminded (as ever) of the wisdom of Seinfeld:

'If every instinct you have is wrong, then the opposite, would have to be right.'

Cracking episode.

There's something about blokes who just know how to find the footy, and that ability doesn't change when they go to higher levels. Seems to be the case with Fordham. Now I haven't seen him play, but if he has decent skills etc. he needs to play as I believe he'll be able to find the pill.

I compare this with Rory Laird from the Crows. I played with him at school, he was a magnet. He played state level, he was a magnet. League SANFL, magnet. Now look what he's doing for the crows.

Interestingly he was also rookie listed, mainly cause of his size, but blokes who naturally know how to find and win the footy don't exactly grow on trees.

Dumont is another one who has a natural knack for it. These kinds of players need to be playing now.

Watching the Bees match yesterday, he looked the goods. And he has good size, not a skinny runt at all. Perfect candidate for the sub vest to test the waters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back