Player Watch #4: Aidan Corr

Remove this Banner Ad

When is he not poor?

He is extremely lucky to be at our club at this time because he's not AFL standard and even with our issues defensively and lack of options I still wouldn't pick him. Even if he had one useful defensive (or general) trait he would offer something but he doesn't.

I'll go through one by one:
His positioning - absolutely clueless
One on one - pound for pound probably our worst
Football IQ - doesn't have one
Skills - maybe not our worst but definitely one of them
Leadership - how can you offer leadership when you're not pulling your own weight?
Yeah, but apart from that?

Realistically, the expectation when he was recruited hasn't been met unfortunately, other than a few cameos here and there. Perhaps the inexperienced and undersized defence is causing him to try to cover for others but if that's the case he needs to get over it and play his own game.

After his interrupted pre season I was surprised he was selected.

Shouldn't have played, was miles off it.

Shiels, Ford, and Corr all looked like they needed more time in the VFL.

You have to wonder if Clarkson conceded we couldn't win that game and was happy to condition them all at AFL level.

Shiels, Ford, and Corr all looked like they needed more time in the VFL.

You have to wonder if Clarkson conceded we couldn't win that game and was happy to condition them all at AFL level.
the side already had four teenagers plus Pink (plus a number of others with sub 10 games, like Dawson and Goater), and two others who were debuting for the club

Some of the senior blokes had to play

He complains and goes off at everyone a lot (finger pointing)

Why am I seeing similarities with J Mac lol

I really hate that stuff.

You're allowed to drive standards but flipping out every time something goes wrong is just childish crap.

Same with CCJ, always eyeballing people downfield when he doesn't get a laceout kick.

On Corr's game I can't say I'm a fan long term but he's at least a senior player who tries and hasn't given up and wants to see us succeed although you would expect at least that on the salary he's on.

you can't blame Corr for what was a horrible defensive effort upfield.
He was abjectly s**t whenever he got the chance to kill the ball though. He was supposed to be the senior head down there and it was clear he was nowhere near it. Shocked he was named. Should've given Sheezel/Scott the leadership reins and played Biggie. Yeah he's raw, but at least his engine has fuel in it

He was abjectly s**t whenever he got the chance to kill the ball though. He was supposed to be the senior head down there and it was clear he was nowhere near it. Shocked he was named. Should've given Sheezel/Scott the leadership reins and played Biggie. Yeah he's raw, but at least his engine has fuel in it
Last year he started pretty poorly coming off a short pre-season. That's what I'm expecting this year too.
By mid-year (if he can stay on the park), I'd back him to get back into form.

Last year he started pretty poorly coming off a short pre-season. That's what I'm expecting this year too.
By mid-year (if he can stay on the park), I'd back him to get back into form.
I'm absolutely with you there. I'd say he should be back to normal earlier than that though

I expect Corr to be cranky. He’s not delivering right now - what’s to be happy about? He’s a tall, mobile defender who has proved himself to be very capable in the past. He’s been unlucky with injury, which can just cruel your consistency. Hopefully, he can get a good run and work himself into form. We desperately need him to shore things up back there.

I expect Corr to be cranky. He’s not delivering right now - what’s to be happy about? He’s a tall, mobile defender who has proved himself to be very capable in the past. He’s been unlucky with injury, which can just cruel your consistency. Hopefully, he can get a good run and work himself into form. We desperately need him to shore things up back there.

Was he actually cranky or just highly verbal? Or was he just trying really hard.

When I was playing sport I was going pretty hard and fast at it on the basketball court - not angry but very emotive.

Was he actually cranky or just highly verbal? Or was he just trying really hard.

When I was playing sport I was going pretty hard and fast at it on the basketball court - not angry but very emotive.
Personally, I didn’t notice him doing anything. However, I don’t tend to be on the lookout for that sort of thing. I’m just going on what a few people have commented here. You’d have to think he would have been frustrated. Nothing was working for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At best he is a 3rd tall type defender as he's nowhere near good enough to play one on one with the better forwards in the comp which is what we are asking him to do at the moment. The problem with him as a 3rd tall is that he doesn't actually offer much in that role. He doesn't kill packs nor does he create much rebound in terms of interceptions and good use of the football etc. Then there's the total brain fades that seem to occur a few times every game that costs us dearly.

We won't be headed for finals until guys like him are no longer good enough to be on our list.

Last edited:
At best he is a 3rd tall type defender as he's nowhere near good enough to play one on one with the better forwards in the comp which is what we are asking him to do at the moment. The problem with him as a 3rd tall is that he doesn't actually offer much in that role. He doesn't kill packs nor does he create much rebound in terms of interceptions and good use of the football etc. Then there's the total brain fades that seem to occur a few times every game that costs us dearly.

We won't be headed for finals until guys like him are no longer good enough to be on our list.
He managed to play that role in a grand final year for gws he’s capable to do so

Just needs 2 solid big key defenders Logue and comben with him

He managed to play that role in a grand final year for gws he’s capable to do so

Just needs 2 solid big key defenders Logue and comben with him

If we have 2 big key defenders like Logue and Comben, then i'm playing K. Dawson as our third tall. Offers far more in terms of contest and rebound.

He's supposed to be THE senior leader in the backline and two weeks in a row I thought he was probably the most disappointing player there.

He is a selfish campaigner.

Gets up the ground thinking he is going to intercept often leaving mid defenders exposed to taller match ups.

Has happened ever since he came to the club.

The sooner he is phased out the better off we’ll be.

It didn't really matter because Freo kicked a goal anyway, but he almost gave a 50 away on the wing by smacking a Freo player in the ribs after they'd marked it. Ambitiously stupid footballer and I can't wait until he's gone.

Did his obligatory 2-3 boneheaded things per game. Coming in at 60kph to a stationary opponent 30m out directly in front was genius.

Did his obligatory drifted 15m from his direct opponent for no apparent reason about half a dozen times.

Did his obligatory 1-2 times a game wheee he thinks he’s Andrew McLeod coming out of defence

He is no good. Needs to go the VFL once Comben is ready. Id prefer Pink and Dawson over him atm - he cost us the first 2 goals when we were way on top as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back