Retired # 4: Jobe Watson - Now coach at Xavier College 28/11

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think he will be back this year. Same injury has nba players out 3-4 months and they don't have to kick a footy which puts a lot of stress on the tendon. NBA players are pussies though! Heppell to lead the team admirably

I don't think he will be back this year. Same injury has nba players out 3-4 months and they don't have to kick a footy which puts a lot of stress on the tendon. NBA players are pussies though! Heppell to lead the team admirably

There's been two of these injuries in any sport worldwide apparently.

It will give someone else the opportunity....a chance for someone to step up..... yeah yeah...this is a serious blow. We don't have enough midfield depth to cover the best mid. The way we've been palying since round 3 I didn't think we would challenge this years anyway. Will be interesting to see who does step up.

A lot of media pundits are going to write Essendon off for the year well you know what this team last year were under enormous pressure and turned up every week and proved the doubters wrong and i wont be surprised to see them doing the same.
R7Gczot.gif

we wont make finals

There's been two of these injuries in any sport worldwide apparently.

Between this and Hams (psoas tendon, basically hasn't kicked a ball all year) we've been a bit stiff this year with injury.

Jacko cracked a finger just doing regular ball work 2 weeks ago, Browne's ACL looked more like a hyperextension and then most of our 25th-35th type depth players have missed a month or more with something at some stage.

No doubt this is a huge loss but will be interesting to see if/how we cover for the skipper. Goddard can play a much stronger inside role when required and suspect he will be asked to do so.

One opportunity this presents is to look at the balance in our midfield....I believe that with Watson, Goddard, Myers, Heppell, Howlett and Hocking we are too one paced. All good players worthy of long AFL careers but just a question of balance, especially when you consider that our better midfield runners in Zaka and Stants aren't that quick. I think we have enough inside grunt but lack a linebreaker and would love to see either Edwards or Dalgleish play rather than the more like-for-like replacements in Kav or Aylett.

Not a VFL watcher so unsure how these two are going, obviously the above is predicated on them showing some form in the magoos.

All that said, devastated to lose Jobe.....great player, great captain, great person....will come back bigger and better, hopefully nice and freshened up for finals if we make it.

Between this and Hams (psoas tendon, basically hasn't kicked a ball all year) we've been a bit stiff this year with injury.

Jacko cracked a finger just doing regular ball work 2 weeks ago, Browne's ACL looked more like a hyperextension and then most of our 25th-35th type depth players have missed a month or more with something at some stage.
Up until now i would have said that i'm happy with our injury record this year. Most clubs get smashed most years, its just the way it is. Up until now we have had injuries that could be covered (Ryder was out suspended). This is a killer blow though and puts us about one or two other significant injuries away from being utterly decimated.
On the other hand, the feature of this year has been the astonishing discoveries of future stars like the Merretts and Gleeson. Our depth is fantastic right now and if we can go okay with injuries from here on then i think we might pull through.
I think this might change the coaches schedule of build up however... I think the plan was to keep the lid on things until Geelong, but now i think they will start ramping up for the run home this week. We can't afford to have the team lose their unity with the skipper out, so i think the leadership group will have to go up a gear from now. I was rating the next two weeks as serious danger games, but now i think you will see us account for Melbourne with ease and run all over Adelaide.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Up until now i would have said that i'm happy with our injury record this year. Most clubs get smashed most years, its just the way it is. Up until now we have had injuries that could be covered (Ryder was out suspended). This is a killer blow though and puts us about one or two other significant injuries away from being utterly decimated.
On the other hand, the feature of this year has been the astonishing discoveries of future stars like the Merretts and Gleeson. Our depth is fantastic right now and if we can go okay with injuries from here on then i think we might pull through.
I think this might change the coaches schedule of build up however... I think the plan was to keep the lid on things until Geelong, but now i think they will start ramping up for the run home this week. We can't afford to have the team lose their unity with the skipper out, so i think the leadership group will have to go up a gear from now. I was rating the next two weeks as serious danger games, but now i think you will see us account for Melbourne with ease and run all over Adelaide.

The thing is we've had a low number of hammy tears etc. which suggests pretty good management, but that's been cancelled out by a bunch of weird injuries.

Off topic, but I have no idea why everyone always highlights Dean Wallis hesitating in the centre and not the most skillful player on our list who was runner's up in the Brownlow that year missing from 25m out directly in front to put us in the lead with less than a minute to play? Or, you know, the whole game for that matter.

Because if Wallis had looked to his left he had three free players lined up in the forward line in a line 20-40 metres from goal. It was a monumental stuff up.

I will throw a left of field idea. Is this a chance to upgrade Steinberg - he can play the Hibberd role - and trial Hibberd as a midfielder.
Steinberg cannot play the Hibberd role. His skills are 5x worse than Hibberd's

Steinberg cannot play the Hibberd role. His skills are 5x worse than Hibberd's

Pears would be the obvious replacement for Hibberd ( if he played midfield ) but he is injured. Think we need to think outside teh box.

Stein can't play small. i say that definitively.

back on Jobe, I hope he buggers off for a month overseas. Had the weight of the world on his shoulders for the better part of a year and now this, h deserves a chance to chill out while he's recovering, especially since there's not a lot he can do rehab wise

Why would it not be Ashby?

It's frustrating that both Browne and Gleeson are injured right now.

Alternatively, we could bring in a midfielder rather than play our best half back in the midfield...
Lots of possibilities really. Aylett and Kav are obvious ones right now, but Jackson will be back soon enough and now there is a spot for him!

People really do know that he isnt injured and just serving his time dont they
He was actually served his show cause notice on the fly while out on the field on Saturday night by a GWS player, yes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back