Past #4: Liam Anthony - delisted by NM end '14 - 4th in 2016 Sandover Medal

Remove this Banner Ad

I suspect that when Matt Murnane thinks of LA he thinks of his inital burst onto the scene as a 25+ possession a game midfielder who seemed to have the ball on a string. Geez he appeared out of nowhere as such a breath of fresh air, someone who knew where the ball was going to go to and where he needed to be to get it, at a time when our key mids (Simmo, Shagga, Harro) were shuffling off into retirement. Unfortunately Matt, that was a fair while ago now.

The problem with LA however was his disposal, and it wasn't long before everyone knew it, including the opposition. How do you stop a bloke with dodgy disposal? You don't. Let em have it, and shut down his options - odds are he'll either shank it or give it off to someone in worse position. Pretty quickly The second knock on him was his perceived lack of courage, though I think that was a little unfair.

Watching LA last year, it struck me that his disposal issues had really eaten into his confidence. He didn't seem to want the ball any more, and when he did have it he was dead scared of doing anything with it. And you can't put a guy out on the park if he's thinking like that.

But there's the rub - you can't teach a guy how to get the ball 25+ times a game at AFL level like he can (well, you can try, but really he either "has it" or he doesn't) but you can teach a guy how to dispose of the ball effectively, and you can build their confidence back up (see Thomas, L).

So as much as I can see that LA has his "papers stamped", as it currently stands, he's still got this year to turn it around and if he does then he will be a genuine best 22 candidate again. The ball is really in his court I reckon.

I suspect that when Matt Murnane thinks of LA he thinks of his inital burst onto the scene as a 25+ possession a game midfielder who seemed to have the ball on a string. Geez he appeared out of nowhere as such a breath of fresh air, someone who knew where the ball was going to go to and where he needed to be to get it, at a time when our key mids (Simmo, Shagga, Harro) were shuffling off into retirement. Unfortunately Matt, that was a fair while ago now.

The problem with LA however was his disposal, and it wasn't long before everyone knew it, including the opposition. How do you stop a bloke with dodgy disposal? You don't. Let em have it, and shut down his options - odds are he'll either shank it or give it off to someone in worse position. Pretty quickly The second knock on him was his perceived lack of courage, though I think that was a little unfair.

Watching LA last year, it struck me that his disposal issues had really eaten into his confidence. He didn't seem to want the ball any more, and when he did have it he was dead scared of doing anything with it. And you can't put a guy out on the park if he's thinking like that.

But there's the rub - you can't teach a guy how to get the ball 25+ times a game at AFL level like he can (well, you can try, but really he either "has it" or he doesn't) but you can teach a guy how to dispose of the ball effectively, and you can build their confidence back up (see Thomas, L).

So as much as I can see that LA has his "papers stamped", as it currently stands, he's still got this year to turn it around and if he does then he will be a genuine best 22 candidate again. The ball is really in his court I reckon.
Sure, and I probably didn't mean the OP as a dig at LA as much as it probably came across.

However, regardless of whether he's able to turn it around, I'm having trouble seeing a scenario where him returning to form makes us better in any meaningful way. All it really means is we got down to him on the depth chart for some reason, and if he plays well good on him.

Better candidates for a list of fringe players to step up or return to form, IMO:

McMahon: While our tall defenders are generally good negating/intercept kinds of guys, our medium-small defenders -- Atley, Mullett, Luke Mac, and even JMac and BMac, are more running playmaker types. McMahon settling back into a pocket releases that group into less strictly accountable roles.

Harper, Nahas, Garner: With LT in one pocket, an extra livewire small-medium forward gives our attack a different look. We all love Patch, but he doesn't cause defenders headaches so much as being a general pest/bulldog type.

BMac: If he steps up and becomes regular best 22, the already delicious who-do-you-tag question with Boomer/NDS/Wells/Basti gets even tastier.

Wood: Black already causes matchup problems as an athletic medium-tall. How do you find matchups for two of them?

Daw: Still has a way to go, but takes pressure off both Goldy and Petrie if he makes the grade.

Even among the fringe mids, both Jacobs and Dumont seem likely to develop into more rounded inside-outside players. Granted, Jacobs still needs to prove he can find enough of the ball. Dumont seems to have had the knack in the SANFL.

I'm not saying all or even most of the above will happen, just that they are all more interesting scenarios than Anthony.

Good post, astrovic. Sums up my thoughts on LA and how he was ''chosen'' for the article perfectly.

Not saying he's no good, but he wouldn't be anywhere near as hyped up (or get as many goals as he does) if he played for say the Bulldogs or Melbourne.

Agree with this. How much have we heard about the incredible Dawes since he moved to the GoDees?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

typical, Another media commentator, who went through the stats and saw that Liam Anthony can find the pill, but didnt actually watch a north game to realise him getting it means it usually goes down the other end and results in an opposition goal.

Read that this morning. Reeks of a bloke that has no real idea beyond a teams big names. They should get someone like Quayle to do stuff like this.
Good call.
danquaylethumb.jpg

Said it before but I think LA would be a very good defensive mid / tagger.

Unfortunately the missing elements of physicality and aggression aren't his strong traits.

But his size, endurance and footy smarts are all ideal to running with and stealing possessions off some of the bigger mids in the comp.

I'm probably the only one who thought he played a more contested style against the cats early in '13 because he was promptly dropped afterwards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Said it before but I think LA would be a very good defensive mid / tagger.

Unfortunately the missing elements of physicality and aggression aren't his strong traits.

But his size, endurance and footy smarts are all ideal to running with and stealing possessions off some of the bigger mids in the comp.

I'm probably the only one who thought he played a more contested style against the cats early in '13 because he was promptly dropped afterwards.

I see your point.
Scotty Wiper is the perfect size for Centre Half Forward.
Unfortunately the missing elements are the fact he can't kick, mark or play football.

I can't see him being dropped after that performance. Tackling was strong, and hitting targets and good dangerous gut running.

His only blemish, and something I partly (maybe mostly) blame Adams for not attacking the ball and marking at its highest point, was that turnover defensive 50 that cost us a goal, which didn't effect the game at all in the end.

He stays in!

100% Anthony's fault. You don't go short across goal unless your man is wide open (and even then it's still a 50/50 kick). Not to mention there shouldn't even be a "highest point" when you're kicking it 15 metres, it should be on the bloke's chest to eliminate the spoil.

But you are right about his tackling and intensity, and deserves his spot right now.

Has no self confidence.... should avoid short kicks to contested situations in defensive 50 too....

Was a decent game... he gets another go....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back