Past #4: Shaun Higgins - Higgo traded to Geelong for 2020 #30 - 2x Syds/108 NM gms/96 NM gls - thx Higgo

Remove this Banner Ad

I do like Murphy down there actually (I like him everywhere to be honest, underrated footballer IMO). Has a very cool head and is obviously a leader. Would do a lot of organising I suspect.
s**t hair do tho'.

Half forward and rotating in the midfield. Brad has also mentioned half back is a possibility
After his performance today and our depth across the halfback line I doubt we'll see him in defence. I think he'll play mostly half forward with small stints in the midfield. He's so much more damaging forward of centre.

What role do people expect him to play this year? Roaming half forward flank or will he get some good minutes in the guts?

Exactly the role he played yesterday.

Probably 60-70% in the middle, 30-40% across half forward

Highly skilled no doubt. Exactly as Daz has alluded to though. Despite being a natural forward we played him there through necessity not because we wanted to. (Although our thinking seemed to become fairly regimented and inflexible in the last year or two unfortunately.) I like Higgo and wish him well at North. Nice fella who became a bit of a whipping boy at the Doggies… injuries were unkind but I hope he gets a better run of luck with you blokes.

Tremendous post. Great insight. Why don't you post on The Bay anymore? I doubt any of your previous cellmates are regular posters. No need to be frightened.

I'll be interested to hear from you guys as to weather you think he has gained a yard during the year? he looked quicker to me yesterday, more like the younger version, I'm not sure if that's because he has finally had a full pre-season after so many injuries, but he looked like the 09/10 version yesterday, purely from an athletic perspective.

Funnily enough in his best year for you guys, 2009, he averaged 21 touches a game, the most he got was around that 24/25 mark, no massive possession games, just consistent 20's and kicked 32 goals in a mid/half forward role, with a lot of smatterings of 2/3 goal games, 11 to be exact. Funnily enough the same numbers he had yesterday really.

Last edited:
Glad I'm not the only one thinking this. Of course he was gonna be best 22. He has what we have lacked (foot skills and class) in spades.

It's a bit like Greenwood leaving us, many a word has been typed about him= we gave a s**t.

The Dogs supporters have gone out of their way to explain how Higgins won't be missed= cut up bad.

Cam Delaney , we liked the look of him, but in reality we've just shrugged the shoulder's and moved on pretty quick= no real loss.

Higgins is and was a super player and we're very freaking fortunate he's one of us.

It's a concern that avid AFL fans actually don't know his ability.

Last edited:
I've actually said Higgins would be a good pick up for you guys if you played him in a half forward role. The majority of our supporters think he'll easily be replaced (Cooney too) but I'm not one of them.

You might be able to replace them with guys that have a similar skillset, but you lose a LOT of football experience, which isn't to be understated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've actually said Higgins would be a good pick up for you guys if you played him in a half forward role. The majority of our supporters think he'll easily be replaced (Cooney too) but I'm not one of them.
He looked quicker than l thought he would be, but you guys will be right, surprised that you got rid of outside class, a lot rides on Dalhaus and Bonty for that outside run and class. We have boomer, wells, higgins etc.

He looked quicker than l thought he would be, but you guys will be right, surprised that you got rid of outside class, a lot rides on Dalhaus and Bonty for that outside run and class. We have boomer, wells, higgins etc.

Our off season has been a circus. We had a coach who only cared about winning contested ball ship off classy players then we replaced him with a coach who puts a lot of focus on outside skill.

FWIW I think there was more to it than was leaked to the media. You don't have an exodus of guys in their prime like that without something being seriously wrong internally.

Our off season has been a circus. We had a coach who only cared about winning contested ball ship off classy players then we replaced him with a coach who puts a lot of focus on outside skill.

FWIW I think there was more to it than was leaked to the media. You don't have an exodus of guys in their prime like that without something being seriously wrong internally.
You need that outside class, have missed it for a few years (not as badly as a key forward which you have finally sorted). Loss of Griffen was huge, but Cooney was a shadow of his former self last season. Anyway good luck, come back any time, except when Maddam is around.

Griffen, Cooney, Higgins. This time last year, if anyone had said all three would leave the doggies, I would have called them an idiot. I really hope the majority of the rift was between the older blokes and McCartney. If there were still issues between the old & young or other coaches, it might not be over.

How do you think you and your fellow supporters will feel if GWS does better than you guys this season, out of interest?

Griffen, Cooney, Higgins. This time last year, if anyone had said all three would leave the doggies, I would have called them an idiot. I really hope the majority of the rift was between the older blokes and McCartney. If there were still issues between the old & young or other coaches, it might not be over.

How do you think you and your fellow supporters will feel if GWS does better than you guys this season, out of interest?

I'm not going to be too fussed. We just lost our reigning BnF winner to an ACL. Pretty sure we have the 2nd youngest/experienced list in the comp. Unfortunately it's not littered with 1st round picks like the expansion clubs. I can see the beginnings of a decent side so I'm not too worried about becoming the new Melbourne just yet.

I'm not going to be too fussed. We just lost our reigning BnF winner to an ACL. Pretty sure we have the 2nd youngest/experienced list in the comp. Unfortunately it's not littered with 1st round picks like the expansion clubs. I can see the beginnings of a decent side so I'm not too worried about becoming the new Melbourne just yet.

I don't think any club could sink so low tbh

Seeing Higgins run around in LA's old jumper (#4) and seeing the number 4 actually play well put the biggest smile on my face yesterday

Though it does take a split second to overcome the 'brace yourself LA has it' feeling.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back