45 GAA games to broadcast live on Channel 7

Remove this Banner Ad

Was in Rome about 18 months ago and wandered into an Irish pub for lunch. It was really good so we decided to come back for dinner and drinks later that night.

Didn't realise that their equivalent of a Prelim final was on that night and it was suddenly packed with Irish fans and it was awesome.

My fiancee laughed because there was a guy sitting near us that was acting exactly like I do when the Crows play. We ended up chatting to them for a bit and if his team had won, he would have probably stayed and hung out, they lost though so he wanted to go home....I completely sympathise with that.

I'm keen to watch some games!

Was in Rome about 18 months ago and wandered into an Irish pub for lunch. It was really good so we decided to come back for dinner and drinks later that night.

Didn't realise that their equivalent of a Prelim final was on that night and it was suddenly packed with Irish fans and it was awesome.

My fiancee laughed because there was a guy sitting near us that was acting exactly like I do when the Crows play. We ended up chatting to them for a bit and if his team had won, he would have probably stayed and hung out, they lost though so he wanted to go home....I completely sympathise with that.

I'm keen to watch some games!

You wasted two meals in Italy on Irish pub food?

You wasted two meals in Italy on Irish pub food?
We were there for a couple of weeks and after tons of pizza and pasta a pub meal just hit the spot perfectly.

That said, later on I had an absolutely amazing pizza in Naples, though the taxi drivers and hotel reception's warnings about the city had us freaking out that we'd get mugged as soon as we stepped outside :p

So we can watch all Gaelic Football games live on free to air, but we can't with footy?

The are not broadcasting the club championship, they are non broadcasting the League games (which in on now). They are broadcasting the All-Ireland games which are bit like State games in a knock-out tournament for the 30ish irish counties. Runs June-September.

It covers both Gaelic Football and Hurling, probably a around 65/35 split as there are more games in the football championship.

Funnily enough Australian viewers will have more FTA access to the games than those living in Ireland as 14 games will be shown on Sky Sports which is subscription only. Most of the matches will be on Sunday night (around 11pm until 3am)

As an Irishman living in Melbourne I'm absolutely delighted with this news, I'll never complain about Channel 7's awful footy coverage again!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's pretty awesome. I'll have to pick a team now. :)

You can all go for Down. Up Down!

The problem I find with gaelic footy is if you're brought up on Aussie Rules, you'll be begging for someone to lay a good solid tackle after a while. It's a bit basketball-ish in comparison.

And Channel 9 can't show more than 28 NRL games live (in the rugby states only).

It really shows the difference between 7 and 9's commitment to sport.

It covers both Gaelic Football and Hurling, probably a around 65/35 split as there are more games in the football championship.

Funnily enough Australian viewers will have more FTA access to the games than those living in Ireland as 14 games will be shown on Sky Sports which is subscription only. Most of the matches will be on Sunday night (around 11pm until 3am)

As an Irishman living in Melbourne I'm absolutely delighted with this news, I'll never complain about Channel 7's awful footy coverage again!

Will be interesting to see what happens. The All-Ireland football itself is 45 games, but only 12 weeks. They have multiple games on so it makes it impossible for them all to be live. Channel 7 might have bought the rights to them all but I wouldn't be surprised if they just have a game a week for 10 weeks.

I will watch a bit but seriously how does this get FTA coverage but not popular leagues like EPL and A-League almost exclusively on Fox.

Not that I mind because I got Fox but for those without it they get no Premier League and only one A-League game a week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back