45 GAA games to broadcast live on Channel 7

Remove this Banner Ad

I know what happened. That doesn't make it a good outcome.
Not for your average Joe soap supporter but I imagine its a great outcome for the bank balances of the AFL and Rupert Murdoch! What pisses me off about pay per view is that I fork out 28 euro a month for ESPN alone for the sole purpose of watching AFL, Every other sport on it is pure muck, I get Friday night football which is good but the other 2 games they show of a weekend are usually of weaker teams that end in blow outs and one game will nearly always feature Collingwood, Its very rarely I get to see the Hawks on TV, that's very frustrating!

I only know one Irishman, and he's... Corkish? Corkian? He's from Cork. So I might go for them. I hope they're good.
Sadly a person from Cork isn't a corker:( they are a corkonian. Corkonians like to think their county is a separate country. When I was there, every second person was wearing a bright red "republic of Cork" t-shirt:)

So when is the first of these on? I can't seem to find any schedule for which matches will be shown here.

So when is the first of these on? I can't seem to find any schedule for which matches will be shown here.
The championships haven't been launched yet so full TV schedules haven't been released! Tyrone play Down in the Ulster football championship on May the 18th, Id say that will be televised and available to Australia and Cork play Waterford in the Munster hurling championship on May the 25th, That will definitely be televised and made available to ye!

Alistair Clarkson was on AFL360 last night, he mentioned that the international rules was configured more to the liking of the irish than the aussies in terms of the compromised rules. He wants it more like aussie rules, so to speak, so that it can be a 50/50 in terms of which team can win.
I haven't seen a lot of gaelic football, maybe only one or two matches through the years. I have felt when watching International Rules that the compromised rules were more than fair to the AFL players. From memory, in gaelic football, it's virtually always play on, no stopping for marks. In IR, you can stop after a mark, gather yourself, make your next move. Tackling is allowed in IR but it's not in gaelic football. My opinion is that the shape of the ball and having to find a goalkeeper have been the only 2 rules in IR that hurt the AFL team. Can an expert on the Gaelic football please give his 2 cents worth on this subject.

Not for your average Joe soap supporter but I imagine its a great outcome for the bank balances of the AFL and Rupert Murdoch! What pisses me off about pay per view is that I fork out 28 euro a month for ESPN alone for the sole purpose of watching AFL, Every other sport on it is pure muck, I get Friday night football which is good but the other 2 games they show of a weekend are usually of weaker teams that end in blow outs and one game will nearly always feature Collingwood, Its very rarely I get to see the Hawks on TV, that's very frustrating!

You'd be better off paying the £80 (€95-100?) for AFL Global then which gives you every game live and on demand.

http://watchafl.afl.com.au/

I'm going to ask this again, as the first matches have already been played (though they are just the Leinster Qualifying Group matches). I couldn't find any listings on Seven's TV guide, nor could I find a TV schedule from the GAA; has that been published yet?

I'm going to ask this again, as the first matches have already been played (though they are just the Leinster Qualifying Group matches). I couldn't find any listings on Seven's TV guide, nor could I find a TV schedule from the GAA; has that been published yet?

The main part of the Championships won't commence until the middle of May and then it'll be pretty much non-stop until the end of September.

If I was to guess I would say May 18 Ulster Championship game between Down and Tyrone could kick off the football coverage and the following weekend Munster Hurling Championship between Cork and Waterford will be the first hurling match.

Alistair Clarkson was on AFL360 last night, he mentioned that the international rules was configured more to the liking of the irish than the aussies in terms of the compromised rules. He wants it more like aussie rules, so to speak, so that it can be a 50/50 in terms of which team can win.
I haven't seen a lot of gaelic football, maybe only one or two matches through the years. I have felt when watching International Rules that the compromised rules were more than fair to the AFL players. From memory, in gaelic football, it's virtually always play on, no stopping for marks. In IR, you can stop after a mark, gather yourself, make your next move. Tackling is allowed in IR but it's not in gaelic football. My opinion is that the shape of the ball and having to find a goalkeeper have been the only 2 rules in IR that hurt the AFL team. Can an expert on the Gaelic football please give his 2 cents worth on this subject.
Whenever Australia find a way to win the Irish force a change in the rules. A few years ago Australia dominated in one or two series, where realising that kicking the ball accurately was their main downfall, Australia simply handballed their (our?) way up the field until close enough to the goals to score. The next series a limit of 4 handballs in a row was brought in. If the Irish don't win, they're not interested. If they win by too much (like last year), they're not interested. Australia can't win either way (pun intended).

Edit: Looking forward to seeing it back on TV though, SBS used to play the All Ireland finals occasionally and I'd tape them (yes tape, that's how long ago it was) and watch them at a more reasonable hour.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First televised game this Sunday, Monday morning aussie time, 7mate showing the games.

We have 12 live matches over the next seven weekends with action from all four provinces and both codes. Further confirmed fixtures will follow once the early rounds of the championship have been completed.

How it breaks down:

3 x Munster Hurling Championship
1 x Leinster Hurling Championship
1 x Connacht Football Championship
4 x Ulster Football Championship
3 x Leinster Football Championship

Sunday 18 May

Tyrone v Down Ulster Football Championship Round 1 (4pm)

Sunday 25 May

Derry v Donegal Ulster Football Championship QF (2pm)
Cork v Waterford Munster Hurling Championship QF (4pm)

Sunday 1 June

Tipperary v Limerick Munster Hurling Championship SF (4pm)

Sunday 8 June

Roscommon/Leitrim v Mayo Connacht Football Championship SF (2pm)
Dublin v Wicklow/Laois Leinster Football Championship QF (4pm)

Sunday 15 June

Monaghan v Tyrone/Down Ulster Football Championship QF (2pm)
Clare v Cork/Waterford Munster Hurling SF (4pm)

Sunday 22 June

Derry/Donegal v Fermanagh/Antrim Ulster Football Championship SF (2pm)
Kilkenny/Offaly v Galway/Qualifier Leinster Hurling Championship SF (4pm)

Sunday 29 June

Westmeath/Louth/Kildare v Carlow/Meath Leinster Football Championship SF (2pm)
Longford/Offaly/Wexford v Dublin/Wicklow/Laois Leinster Football Championship SF (4pm)

Some particular fixtures we are looking forward to:

18 May: Tyrone v Down – Ulster SFC preliminary round, Healy Park

The opening encounter in the northern province has more often than not failed to get the excitement juices flowing in recent times. Who remembers Donegal v Antrim in 2011? However, the meeting of Tyrone and Down before a live television audience can give the championship a decent kick-start on the opening weekend.

25 May: Derry v Donegal – Ulster SFC quarter-final, Celtic Park

It may not generate the hype the preceded the clash of Donegal v Tyrone last year, but Derry hosting Donegal is nevertheless an intriguing pairing. Jim McGuinness’ side looked leg-weary in their league final defeat against Monaghan, but you can bet they will be up to the challenge of facing Brian McIver’s much-improved outfit

25 May: London v Galway – Connacht SFC quarter-final, Ruislip

After a poor league campaign, Galway enter the championship under something of a cloud. They will tread warily to the English capital on the back of London’s exploits last year. A victory for Paul Coggins’ side would surpass their achievements of 2013.

1 June: Tipperary v Limerick – Munster SHC semi-final, Semple Stadium

Eamon O’Shea’s men will have revenge on their minds after Limerick did a number on them at the same stage last year. The views from the experts is that Tipp can have a long summer. However Limerick are the reigning provincial champions and will be on focused on the task in hand.

First televised game this Sunday, Monday morning aussie time, 7mate showing the games.

We have 12 live matches over the next seven weekends with action from all four provinces and both codes. Further confirmed fixtures will follow once the early rounds of the championship have been completed.

That's absolutely fantastic, cheers! Just to make sure, those times are Irish, right?

That's absolutely fantastic, cheers! Just to make sure, those times are Irish, right?
Yeah them times are Irish, The 4pm Sunday game is usually considered as the weekends biggest game as it would have the supposedly bigger teams, blockbuster games I suppose you could call them!

Tyrone v Down is being shown at 1am Monday 19th May here (so presumably the same across the east of Australia); like I said before, I've watched very little of either Gaelic football or hurling, so very much looking forward to this. Presumably the times stay consistent, so they'll be at 11pm and 1am timeslots when shown here.

Just get a season pass for AFL live Tv. It's about 80 quid a year. Every game live and replay.

Drawn game this morning, I couldn't work out when the replay is being played - I assume, given the broadcasting schedules are pretty set, that we won't be getting that down here? Either way, I enjoyed that match: the first half seemed lacklustre but the second half made up for that.

Replay next Saturday night, don't know if it will be available in Oz but not to worry, two potentially cracking games next Sunday, Much improved and beaten league finalists Derry take on 2012 All Ireland champions Donegal and then the first big hurling game of the year, Cork V Waterford, Serious buzz beginning to build in Cork already in anticipation of this years championship, Beaten in a replay in last years All Ireland final we are coming in very much under the radar this season but given our tradition and the speed and skill/first touch of our players we will come damn close again this season.

Only saw the highlights of the Down V Tyrone game as I had a hurling game myself but the first half looked like dreadful fare, second half it improved significantly and the finish was exciting!

Saw this on twitter earlier, thought it was very good from the Herald Sun

With Channel 7 showing live GAA games from this weekend, here’s your guide to Gaelic football and who to barrack for
  • PATRICK HORAN
  • NEWS CORP AUSTRALIA
  • MAY 16, 2014 12:49PM

040822-c4a76c02-dc9a-11e3-8125-0ad81a58de5e.jpg

Former Sydney Swan Tadhg Kennelly is the only man to have won an AFL Premiership and an All Ireland Gaelic football championship, with his native Kerry. Source: News Limited

NOT quite enough sporting distractions for you this winter? With Gaelic football now on Australian TV, there’s a whole new ball game for you to get obsessed with (assuming you’re an insomniac who doesn’t work on Mondays).

Channel 7 is broadcasting 45 Gaelic football and hurling games live on its subsidiary channels, starting with Tyrone v Down in the Ulster Gaelic Football Championship this Sunday night at 1am AEST on 7mate.

The hurling (the one with sticks) doesn’t start in earnest for a couple of weeks, so let’s ease you in with everything you need to know about the kinda-similar-to-AFL-if-you-squint-hard-enough sport of Gaelic football.

WHAT IS IT?

A field sport played with a round ball by two teams of 15 players. Object of the game is to get the ball between two goalposts for a point (above the crossbar) or into the net for a goal, which is worth three points. Senior inter-county games last for 70 minutes, split into two halves.

040850-ffaae226-dc99-11e3-8125-0ad81a58de5e.jpg

A Gaelic football. Picture: Ian Svegovic Source:News Limited

SIMILAR TO AFL?

In some respects. There are some obvious similarities in general play, and the bloke pictured at the top of the page managed to win an AFL premiership and an All Ireland Gaelic football championship, so they can’t be that different.

Plus the AFL has a tendency to heartlessly steal some of the best young Gaelic footballers just before they’re about to lead their counties to drought-breaking All Ireland glory (mentioning no Pearce Hanleys).

SO LIKE INTERNATIONAL RULES?

The hybrid game certainly resembles Gaelic football more than AFL, primarily due to the shape of the ball. But there are some distinct differences including the absence of the mark, the tackle and no reward for inaccuracy (ie no behinds).

WHO PLAYS IT?

A bunch of amateurs.

WOAH! A BIT HARSH, NO?

GAA players, even those at the elite level, do not get paid, despite training to professional standard fitness levels and playing in front of crowds of up to 80,000+. The amateur ethos is a bedrock of the GAA (Gaelic Athletic Association) and while professionalism for players is presumed by some to be inevitable, it won’t be happening anytime soon.

SO WHAT ARE THEY PLAYING FOR?

Love of their jersey/team/county/village, all that Corinthian jazz. Plus they’re unlikely to ever get too lonely down the local nightclub. Oh, and the Sam Maguire cup, awarded to the All Ireland championship-winning county every September.

HOW DO YOU WIN IT ALL?

Beat some other counties in your local province and then win a quarter-final, semi-final and final in the All Ireland series. It’s possible to win a championship by winning just five games. Up until 2001 it was a straight knockout contest.

SO YOUR SEASON COULD BE OVER AFTER JUST ONE GAME?

Yup. These days, you can get away with losing one game but only up until the quarter-final stage. Lose two and you’re gawn.

WHO’S THE MOST EXPENSIVE PLAYER?

No such thing. Player transfers between counties are free, but rare and occasionally controversial. Usually you’re stuck with playing for the county you were born in unless there are exceptional circumstances.

BUT THEN COUNTIES WITH BIG POPULATIONS MUST HAVE A HUGE ADVANTAGE?

You’d think, but despite having a third of Ireland’s population, defending champ Dublin has only won three All Irelands in the past 20 years.

040876-212ebab2-dc9a-11e3-8125-0ad81a58de5e.jpg

Dublin midfielder Michael Darragh MacAuley is the reigning Gaelic Footballer of the Year. Source:Supplied

Having said that, two of those have come in the past three seasons and many have already handed its formidable outfit this year’s title after it won the pre-season comp handsomely.

“The Dubs” weren’t especially popular throughout the rest of the country when they weren’t winning titles. Nobody likes them now.

If it was an AFL team it’d be Collingwood back when it looked unstoppable circa 2011.

WHO ELSE CAN WIN IT?

Despite not winning a championship since 1951,Mayo is generally accepted to be the next best team in the country and has been the losing finalist in each of the past two years, making it seven final losses since 1989. Unsurprisingly, there are question marks about its mental toughness.

If it was an AFL team it’d be Geelong circa 2007 (he writes hopefully).

042566-74fcd70a-dc9a-11e3-8125-0ad81a58de5e.jpg

Cameron Ling auditioning for the Mayo team in 1998. Possibly. Source: News Limited

Other contenders include…

Kerry

Fittingly known as The Kingdom, the true blue bloods of the game. Has won an All Ireland every three years on average since its first in 1903. Not at the peak of its powers this year and missing the best player of his generation (Colm ‘Gooch’ Cooper) due to injury but came very close to making the final last year when unfancied. Should never be discounted.

AFL equivalent: Hawthorn

Tyrone

Won its first three All Ireland titles in the first decade of the century with tough, uncompromising tactics aligned with stylish scoring power. Dominated Kerry, beating it in two finals and a semi-final in a period when the Kingdom ruled over all others. Faded somewhat since that era but made semi-final last year and has plenty of exciting youngsters.

AFL equivalent: Sydney

Cork

Packed with potential but wildly inconsistent and struggles to get support from a population base mostly preoccupied with hurling. Champs just four years ago and has the cattle, but may lack the aggression required to go all the way.

AFL equivalent: North Melbourne

Donegal

Came from nowhere to almost win a semi-final in 2011 with an ultra-defensive system. Messianic coach Jim McGuinness refined it the following year by throwing in some scintillating attacking play and won it all. Blew up last year but could return.

AFL equivalent: Fremantle

THIS REALLY DOESN’T SOUND LIKE MY CUP OF TEA...

Fair enough, but if the on-field action doesn’t grab you, the lively and often controversial studio punditry might be worth tuning in for, especially this bloke...

[youtube.com/embed/8cQyAuErSVI]

Last edited:
I did find it funny looking through the field for the Connacht Football Championship:

Mayo
Sligo
Roscommon
Leitrim
Galway
London :confused:
New York :eek:

I figured they must also be the names of Irish counties (or perhaps Londonderry got a berth with a shortened name), but they actually play out of England and the US!

The Down vs Tyrone game only got interesting once one of the keepers (think he was the Down player) got a Black Card for hacking down an opponent in his area (so to speak).
Yep, from that point on it was good viewing. On a separate issue, i would like to see the point posts removed for the next international rules series. I think it's silly how you can either score a 6, 3 or 1 pointer, no need for behinds. Just over the top or through the net as in gaelic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back