Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
At pick 16 the Sydney Swans select AA U18 ruck Will Green

WILL GREEN

Will Green.jpg

Date of Birth: 08/09/2005 ; Height: 204cm
Draft: #16 - 2023
Recruited From: Northern Knights

A developing tall, Green showcased his potential with three promising performances
as Metro's go-to. He proved hard to move in the ruck, displaying outstanding craft while also expanding his game
around the ground. There, he clunked clean marks at the highest point and was mobile enough to lay tackles. The
Northern Knights captain averaged 12 touches and 24 hitouts.

Last edited:
This is key.

Also - I can’t remember seeing a Tim English reel pre draft, but I am 95% sure he didn’t have the mobility or Skills shown by young Mr Green.

Maybe not but he has the same straight posture and wide shouldered frame. It's really important your posture holds shape as you grow. All the fundamentals are definately there with Green. Just about development and application now

Hickey was average. He played a handful of decent games and s**t the bed when it mattered.
Mumford was a nobody when we got him and the others were from what 15/20 years ago and had never done anything?
The point was you can’t get established quality rucks via trade unless you pay an arm and a leg.
Umm didn't we just get one without paying an arm and a leg?

Also Richmond got a good one in Nank for SFA

To temper early expectations:

Tim English played a year of WAFL reserves (i.e, against men) in his draft year.

Despite that, he still looked and played like Bambi on Ice for his first couple of years in the AFL system.

Green hasn’t had any experience outside of the juniors system - if anything, he’s likely to be less “AFL ready” than English was.

He’s going to take a fair bit of time.

Years in fact.

But it’ll be good reason to keep a close eye on the VFL side.
Is there capacity to start him off playing for one of the Uni teams in the local comp for the first half of the season?
I mean we got stretch and Ladhams already in reserves so it's not like he's due much early game time and it might pay to have him playing more time in the middle against grown ups before he starts in at VFL level

Tim English
203-204cm
Draft weight 86kg
Now 103kg

Will Green
203cm
93kg

5 kgs a year and ready for 26 season

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
Not sure Green has the shoulders/frame of English. Who was thinner, but you could tell had the frame to fill out. Even comparing Green to the GC ruck this year - much bigger across the shoulders. Actually concerned me when Horse went to visit how narrow he appeared across shoulders, hips...
Still he likes tackling and will no doubt get bigger and stronger than his current weight. Will be interesting to see where he is in a year, then two. I think he'll be readier sooner than English.

would be like a gazelle on the Serengetti

Haha. Somewhere I suggested Horse would get him used to playing wing.

In the NY we could have a poll on what position he starts in the ressies. Or a sweep.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really impressed with that interview. Didn't try to be cool, or overconfident, but played a really straight bat.
Really liked that Kinnear spent three hours talking to teachers at his school 🤣
Its an interesting insight isn't it when it comes to due diligence.

Not sure Green has the shoulders/frame of English. Who was thinner, but you could tell had the frame to fill out. Even comparing Green to the GC ruck this year - much bigger across the shoulders. Actually concerned me when Horse went to visit how narrow he appeared across shoulders, hips...
Still he likes tackling and will no doubt get bigger and stronger than his current weight. Will be interesting to see where he is in a year, then two. I think he'll be readier sooner than English.
I thought the sentence "I think he'll be readier sooner than English" was choc full of contradiction.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back