Past #5: Ben Jacobs - delisted after 64 NM games/10 NM goals - thanks Benny

Remove this Banner Ad

Loving his work. I was on board with BJ from the start as i knew he had something. I did waiver in belief here and there but not for long.
Yep loving his game and role in the team.

One of my favourite players now, agree with the previous posts that he has swagger and plays with some mongrel.

Was involved in a lot of the linking play, great all round game. Very important player in our team now.

Shhh, you're upsetting the six week love-fest.
Six weeks? Try 4 or 5 years! I was a fan pre his draft and was a pretty gutted that Port nabbed him the pick before us but then we read Atley's name out, I honestly thought he had already went prior to pick 17 so that off set the pain alot :) I was so excited when he nominated us as his preferred club and when his name was read out at #37 in the 2012 draft, I finally got my wish 2 year later.

Six weeks? Try 4 or 5 years! I was a fan pre his draft and was a pretty gutted that Port nabbed him the pick before us but then we read Atley's name out, I honestly thought he had already went prior to pick 17 so that off set the pain alot :) I was so excited when he nominated us as his preferred club and when his name was read out at #37 in the 2012 draft, I finally got my wish 2 year later.

I'm not denying he's had long term supporters, like your good self. Good on you, Ben "The Blanket" Jacobs has found his niche and earned a spot in the 22.

The point that was made, though, was a good one - with all the (justified) love for his tagging, the fact that his disposal and decision-making remains poor has been overlooked. And that was always the knock on him. If he wasn't tagging well, he wouldn't be AFL standard.

I'm not denying he's had long term supporters, like your good self. Good on you, Ben "The Blanket" Jacobs has found his niche and earned a spot in the 22.

The point that was made, though, was a good one - with all the (justified) love for his tagging, the fact that his disposal and decision-making remains poor has been overlooked. And that was always the knock on him. If he wasn't tagging well, he wouldn't be AFL standard.
Doesn't help that for his first 2 years with us that Brad and the other selectors denied him a midfield spot even with superb VFL form and was forced to play on a back flank when he got a game which isn't his strong suit. Even during this pre season he was told to concentrate on being a back flanker and finally got a chance to do what he should have been allowed to day from day 1 and play a midfield type role. People make assumptions that his disposal is really bad and single him out because there is still hatred for him when others like Ziebell for a 3 week period he was kicking at 26% and all Ziebs got was praise. Fact is that Jacobs disposal isnt as bad as some say.

His disposal last night was very good. Only the 1 skied kick to nobody, but he looked everywhere and no one presented. His hands were clean and pretty much every target was on the move. Very good game.

Doesn't help that for his first 2 years with us that Brad and the other selectors denied him a midfield spot even with superb VFL form and was forced to play on a back flank when he got a game which isn't his strong suit. Even during this pre season he was told to concentrate on being a back flanker and finally got a chance to do what he should have been allowed to day from day 1 and play a midfield type role. People make assumptions that his disposal is really bad and single him out because there is still hatred for him when others like Ziebell for a 3 week period he was kicking at 26% and all Ziebs got was praise. Fact is that Jacobs disposal isnt as bad as some say.

Fair point. I think his disposal is generally adequate, and occasionally very good, except that it breaks down under pressure (my main knock). This is related to his decision making. But that seems to be improving with his confidence, too.

I certainly hope he continues the current trajectory of performance. That can only be good for the team.

Fair point. I think his disposal is generally adequate, and occasionally very good, except that it breaks down under pressure (my main knock). This is related to his decision making. But that seems to be improving with his confidence, too.

I certainly hope he continues the current trajectory of performance. That can only be good for the team.
Overall, his current performance heavily outweighs your main knock. 85% of AFL players can easily make bad decision when under pressure, the intensity of every game is huge.

Needs to keep winning the footy. He's off to an awesome start in terms of containment but history says that level of success with tags is unsustainable. The odd failure will be ok if he's getting it 20 times himself.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's always liked the kid! Just glad he now has a true role within the senior squad. Too good for the VFL!

I think and hope it will improve with greater confidence............I actually think its been discussed to BJ that he also should get his own pill and see what he could do with it. The 2nd qtr for example he got the pill often enough but then he let Murphy off the leash.

Small steps process here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is 'interesting', as you say.

I reckon Brad learned more in his enforced 4-5 weeks off this year than he has in the previous 4-5 years.

What are you saying? That every time the team suffers a dip in performance, we should go all Tonya Harding on Brad?

I have no problem with that.

It is 'interesting', as you say.

I reckon Brad learned more in his enforced 4-5 weeks off this year than he has in the previous 4-5 years.

It looks like he learnt to actually listen to Crocker and Tudor.

Shane Watson was the guest on Daniel Harford's SEN "In the coaches box" today also. Not a bad listen if anyone can be bothered finding and posting the podcast.

North Melbourne ‏@NMFCOfficial 46s46 seconds ago

New contract! Ben Jacobs' excellent form has been rewarded with a one year deal. More: http://bitly.com/1P9zwEx #NMFC

excellent news, definelty deserves it. Would have happily offered a few more years.
Now sign up Tarrant on a long deal!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back