Opinion 5 worst Brownlow medal winners of the past 30 years

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Garry Ablett Jnr
He is a crybaby
*cue mock crying* "Wah wah why do i get picked on every single week, wah wah i get tagged 2:1"
duh because your father played this game
Mate you should take a page out of Jack Watts book. First game in and he gets triple-teamed, because he knew that as a No.1 draft pick he was hot property, and did not complain about it.
And this further prooves that this is a midfeiders medal. When was the time when a forward or a defender won it?
Oh where to begin?
Ablett is by far and away the best player going around by that far its not funny.
Should have won 2 if not 3 by now and Jack Watts or any other Melbourne player wouldnt be fit to wipe his arse.

*cue mock crying* "Wah wah why do i get picked on every single week, wah wah i get tagged 2:1"
duh because your father played this game
Mate you should take a page out of Jack Watts book. First game in and he gets triple-teamed, because he knew that as a No.1 draft pick he was hot property, and did not complain about it.

Ablett gets heavily tagged because he is Geelong's - and one of the AFL's - best players. Even then he still averages a huge amount of disposals and is an absolute freak to watch just about every time he gets his hand on the ball. Being Snr's son put massive pressure on both him and his brother but it is not the reason he is tagged heavily - if he was a dud then it wouldn't matter if he was the son of God (and yes I know there are numerous people willing to argue vehemently that he is) he would not be tagged at all. He would be left alone to do nothing.

Watts would have looked foolish if he had complained because he has done nothing...yet. Ablett is allowed to have an occasional whinge because he is an out and out champ who is heavily marked every game but still produces unbelievable things. When Watts has proven himself then he can bang on all he wants but not before.

Shame on all the ****heads who contributed to making a list of the 5 worst brownlow medalist.

Every Brownlow medalist was a worthy winner. You guys are all dreaming if you will even touch a brownlow in your life span. In addition I bet none of you have even won the Best and fairest award in your own footy competition. None of you would know s**t

Idiot!

This is just personal opinion, and I think a lot of people on this thread don't believe that the Brownlow is indicative of the best player. E.g. Reivolt. Also I have won a B&F, so dont be a self-righteous ill informed poster.

Gary Ablett Jnr now ranks as one of the worst but for now. While he's a good player, he's the most overrated in the game at the moment. People rave about how good he is but really, the only reason he's never succesfully tagged is because he's got A-Grade protection all around him in Corey, Ling, Selwood etc. If anyone actually watches how Yablett plays, he never wins his own ball, he either aquires it via handball recieve, easy mark or on the rare occasion, loose ball get.

Still, I was happy after Brownlow night, not because Golden-boy Gary won, but because Diver Riewoldt didn't win or even come close. If that weak dog won a Brownlow, I'd probably lose interest in football.

Gary Ablett Jnr now ranks as one of the worst but for now. While he's a good player, he's the most overrated in the game at the moment. People rave about how good he is but really, the only reason he's never succesfully tagged is because he's got A-Grade protection all around him in Corey, Ling, Selwood etc. If anyone actually watches how Yablett plays, he never wins his own ball, he either aquires it via handball recieve, easy mark or on the rare occasion, loose ball get.

Still, I was happy after Brownlow night, not because Golden-boy Gary won, but because Diver Riewoldt didn't win or even come close. If that weak dog won a Brownlow, I'd probably lose interest in football.
OMG.:cool: Tall poppy syndrome?

Ablett averaged more contested possessions & hardball gets than any player in the competition, and only one less clearance than the leader this year. the guys won the MVP by the players and Coaches for 3 straight years, so i doubt you can call him overrated.

1. Gary ablett (2009)
2. Jimmy Bartel (2007)
3. Gary Ablett (2010)
4. Jimmy Bartel (2011)
5. Joel Selwood (2012-2065)

i hope that was sarcastic.

Oh where to begin?
Ablett is by far and away the best player going around by that far its not funny.
Should have won 2 if not 3 by now and Jack Watts or any other Melbourne player wouldnt be fit to wipe his arse.

Quoted for truth!

1993 was also an unusual year in that it consisted of just 20 rounds, the only season from 1970 that has been fewer than 22...for what reasons i honestly am unsure of. That would lend to the vote tally being somewhat lower.

But i think with the plethora of great forwards of the time, they set such high standards that hauls of 6 or 7 goals were looked upon as just par for the courses of Gaz Sr, Dunstall, Lockett and Modra of the time. One player who was rewarded such that year though was Longmire of North, who scored 3 votes for a very standard 6 goal haul against a Sydney side that was in the middle of a 26 game losing streak....whereas Gary Sr failed to poll a vote when he booted 10 at AAMI against the Crows!!:rolleyes::confused:

And anyone denigrating Gary Jr's Brownlow would perhaps just think what their respective clubs would say to him if they he was to come knocking on their door. There aren't enough draft picks available to grab a player of the talent, work ethic and all-round quality as Gazza Jr.

Who is Grahame Wright asks the Tasmanian Big Footy member, Iv'e only been watching footy since 97........my God, Iv'e heard everything!

Im only in my early 30's but very well aware of the vast majority of players from the late 60's early 70's onwards. Generation gaps scare me sometimes:eek:

Hit the books and do some reearch on your fellow Tasmanians who played in the VFL/AFL young fella or twitter or whatever you guys do these days

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For those mentioning Tony Liberatore - consider the top 10 that year:

Tony Liberatore - 18 votes (winner)
Graham Wright - 17 votes
Stephen Silvagni - 16 votes
David Bain - 15 votes
Andrew Collins - 15 votes
Brett Lovett - 15 votes
Tony McGuinness - 14 votes
Tony Shaw - 13 votes
Darren Bewick - 13 votes
Greg Anderson - 13 votes

YUCK

Imagine Graham Wright a brownlow winner....that would be worse than Hardie.

SOS or McG would have been the only other worthy winners that year

David Bain :D

The issue with this thread, is that the OP is comparing Career with Individual Years.

The Brownlow is an Individual Season award, not a Career award.

For those mentioning Tony Liberatore - consider the top 10 that year:

Tony Liberatore - 18 votes (winner)
Graham Wright - 17 votes
Stephen Silvagni - 16 votes
David Bain - 15 votes
Andrew Collins - 15 votes
Brett Lovett - 15 votes
Tony McGuinness - 14 votes
Tony Shaw - 13 votes
Darren Bewick - 13 votes
Greg Anderson - 13 votes

16 votes for a full back. Very good effort by SOS. Was that the year he booted 10 in a match?

Plenty of players never win their own ball. Look at Plugger for example. If his teamates never fed him the ball he would've been s**t.

lmao...riewoldt isnt the biggest diver in the afl it would have to be brad johnson

Shame on all the ****heads who contributed to making a list of the 5 worst brownlow medalist.

Every Brownlow medalist was a worthy winner. You guys are all dreaming if you will even touch a brownlow in your life span. In addition I bet none of you have even won the Best and fairest award in your own footy competition. None of you would know s**t

Shane, mate, settle down. It is only the internet, no-one can take your brownlow away from you now.

While always subjective, you can't fluke a Brownlow! Even Brad Hardie (as ungracious as he is) should not be begrudged his win!

1. Scott Wynd
2. Shane Woewodin
3. Adam Cooney
4. Tony Lockett (he just kicked a s**t load of goals yet Peter Hudson kicked 150 goals in a season an didn't win it that year???:eek:
5. Any ruckman who has ever won, besides Adam Goodes in 03 an Jim Stynes

YOU ARE SICK ON BOTH COUNTS Ablett gets the most hard ball gets and Riewoldt is EXACTLY what you don't have and desperately need. You need some therapy for that acute dose of JEALOUSY

From the last 10 years:

1. Woewoeful (ordinary player, who had a stand out year)
2. Adam Goodes (03) (considering this bloke polls votes for just turning up, it is hard to take his two medals seriously. Great player, dual Brownlow winner? Give me a break)
3. Adam Cooney (Ablett and Richo both robbed)
4. Adam Goodes (06) (as above)
5. Mark Ricciuto (Well i've got to have 5, and he was one of the 3 stooges in 03).

haha, nice joke.

5. Woewodin
4. Hardie
3. Round
2. Dipper
1. Wilson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back