Past #50: Ben Brown - Traded to Melbourne with 2020 #28 + 2021 R4 for 2020 #26 #33 + 2021 R4(Bris) - 130 gms / 287 gls - thanks Ben

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...seeking-pay-days-in-2018-20170907-gycjyw.html

BEN BROWN

North Melbourne key forward
Contract status: Off contract in 2018

This season: 63 goals – third in Coleman Medal.
Why his pay day is coming: Had a career-year when emerged as the Roos' primary focal point inside attacking 50. Had 41 more goals than the next best Roo and is tipped to finish in the top three in the best-and-fairest count. That he is generally a dead-eye in front of goal adds to his value. The Tasmanian has also become a cult hero because of his curly locks and unconventional run up – a marketing boon for a club searching for a public face. Contract negotiations have already opened and a new deal could be done by the start of next season. Dual Kangaroos premiership player David King has said the 24-year-old is worth more than $700,000 a season.

Why did Carey run his mouth and say he's worth up to 1.2 million

This is exactly what Carey said in the article a page or two back:

I always say you are worth what someone is prepared to pay. That could be anywhere, for him, I would envisage given what other players have asked for and got recently, he could be anywhere from $750,000 to $1.2 [million].

So 1.2M is the top end of a range that he could be offered in future. If he has a good preseason and we get our s**t together and have a good year he could kick 80+ next year. A pretty wide range tho - 450K between his lowest estimate and his highest. Its probably a reasonable call give what we supposedly offered Martin and what we are offering Kelly. Carey's probably trying to hint that he thinks Brown is worth a bit more/is a bit better than Danniher.

This is exactly what Carey said in the article a page or two back:

I always say you are worth what someone is prepared to pay. That could be anywhere, for him, I would envisage given what other players have asked for and got recently, he could be anywhere from $750,000 to $1.2 [million].

So 1.2M is the top end of a range that he could be offered in future. If he has a good preseason and we get our s**t together and have a good year he could kick 80+ next year. A pretty wide range tho - 450K between his lowest estimate and his highest. Its probably a reasonable call give what we supposedly offered Martin and what we are offering Kelly. Carey's probably trying to hint that he thinks Brown is worth a bit more/is a bit better than Danniher.

The media rate him higher than Daniher for the purpose of soaking up some of our salary cap.

When it switches to AA selection the ranking reverses.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd go down the 4 year contract route... Has had knee issues in earlier career and allows him to cash in at 28-29 in his prime. Win/win

I agree completely.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back