6 Reasons why not to drink pasteurised milk.

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a load of crap.

Correct , Soy is a load of crap, it's poison.
Soy inhibits mineral absorption, raises oestrogen-lowers testosterone.
Linked to growth defects in babies when drinking formula containing soy opposed to breast milk.
Any regular Soy consumer will be deficient in Zinc-calcium-magnesium-potassium as soy secretes it from the body.
Soy, along with corn n grains, is fed to pigs & cows to fatten them up ASAP, it weakens their immune system hence the need for regular anti-biotic injections.
Soy is in incomplete protein & is highly processed, a non food.

Soybeans are used for damned near everything: as industrial lubricants, cleaners, diesel fuel additives, paint removers, crayons, meatless burgers, non-dairy ice cream, infant formulas, and high-concentration protein powders. Read the ingredient labels of various common food products, and you’ll see that many of them are fortified with some type of soybean product. For the scope of this piece, the majority of our attention will focus on the generalities of soy products, because all soy products carry hormonally active substances called isoflavones.

Soy protein is highly digestible for a plant protein, but it’s nothing special in terms of bioavailability (BA). Its level in this regard is only about 92 percent of that of regular milk protein[1]. In fairness, however, when compared to milk, a much higher rate of essential amino acids is lost, and therefore unusable, during soy protein digestion[200]. Studies on the BA of soy protein place it just below egg and milk, but far below that of whey proteins[2-6, 202]. This makes soy equivalent to most animal meat sources in this regard[201]. Long story short, soy protein is an extremely cheap and moderately potent protein.

Be careful when considering the implications of the paragraph above. Soy protein only possesses a relatively high BA when it’s isolated. This high BA doesn’t apply to soy products in general, because they’re low in the essential amino acid methionine[4,7]. More importantly, they contain chemicals that decrease the digestibility of protein[8, 9, 198, 199]. Consuming soy products can decrease the protein quality of an entire meal[10]. For example, beef normally has a BA of 90 percent. When consumed with soy, this reduces to 26 percent[11]. Adding soy products to a diet—other than soy protein extracts—severely quiets the body’s ability to digest protein.

Soy has been shown to lower cholesterol levels[7, 12-55], and has been implicated in attenuating breast cancer risk[56-70], softening the severity of hot flashes during menopause[71-75], and decreasing prostate cancer risk[35, 76-96]. It should be noted that the results in humans are somewhat less than promising for prostate cancer[42, 97-100], and the significance of soy’s impact on blood lipids has been called into question[26, 27, 101-105].

Also, if you think drinking soy milk is a convenient way to lower your cholesterol levels, think again. Soy milk is far less effective at this than other soy products[106-110]. Regardless, this is still an interesting list of characteristics, some of which are beneficial.

Most of these effects aren’t caused solely by the soy protein itself. Soybeans contain high levels of potent substances called isoflavones. Isoflavones, chemically active in humans and other animals, appear to be responsible for several of the major benefits of eating soy protein. Understand, however, that several other plants also possess isoflavones which may have actions in humans[50, 111-117]. Soy just happens to have very high levels of many different isoflavones.

At this point, you’re probably ready to hear me say that soy protein and soy products make an excellent addition to any diet. I’m not going to make that recommendation, though. For all the benefits derived from soy and isoflavones, there are many downsides we don’t hear about—and new consequences of consumption are discovered almost daily. Although there are many possible side effects that result from eating soy, there are three main reasons to avoid it. Soy:

1. May decrease thyroid hormone and lower metabolism[55, 118-122].
  2. May stop fat tissue from releasing triglycerides, consequently making it extremely difficult to lose body fat[123-125].
  3. Inhibits muscle tissue repair and production[126-129].
As you can see, eating soy creates a situation which diametrically opposes healthy fat loss. This is obviously counterproductive. There is some evidence, although not much, that soy protein may increase fat loss in genetically obese mice[213-214]. If you’ve read my leptin write-up, you’ll recall that the vast majority of obese humans aren’t genetically obese. The bulk of the evidence favors eliminating soy from any fat loss diet until more research is performed.

In addition to potential problems with fat loss, there are other reasons why you should be concerned. Soy-based products:

• Possess potent estrogenic (feminizing) properties[13-139].
  • Increase menstrual cycle length[22, 23, 59, 61, 118, 140].
  • Increase breast tumor growth[141-152].
  • Decrease testosterone levels[76, 100, 153-155] and decrease testosterone effectiveness[82, 87, 100, 156].
  • Are associated with impaired mental function and brain deterioration when two or more servings per week are consumed[170-172].
  • Decrease iron absorption by over 60 percent[203-212].
  • Impair immune function[155, 157-162].
  • May cause pancreatic abnormalities[163-169, 215]. The pancreas is the organ that produces insulin, glucagon, and other important hormones.
  • Negatively affect cardiovascular health[12, 21, 54, 173-175].
  • May cause symptoms of type II diabetes[176-177].
The majority of potential side effects from soy—both good and bad, are currently uncertain. Most of the studies use good methods and have solid results, but they haven’t been reproduced or followed up in humans or other animals. This isn’t an all-inclusive list, either.

Luckily, the potential for developing these maladies will mostly occur in individuals who consume large amounts of soy products. In western nations, this consists almost exclusively of two groups: Vegetarians/vegans, and infants consuming soy-based formulas[178].

My primary concern here is for infants who have concentrations of potent isoflavones in their system, since this is 13,000-22,000 times higher than normal[179]. From animal studies, levels this high are potentially hazardous to infants[160, 164, 165, 180-186]. The difficulty of predicting the effect of this extremely elevated level of compounds is complicated by the lack of knowledge of what other properties soy and its isoflavones might possess.

This is why I hesitate to recommend soy protein as a dietary supplement. My advice runs contrary to most: Soy consumption should be kept to a minimum, and you should avoid using soy infant formulas with your children. There are just too many unknowns, and numerous researchers tend to agree that much more study is needed before incorporating large amounts into a diet[187-193].

You also shouldn’t be worried about losing the cholesterol-lowering effects of soy. Researchers have found that simply replacing 25 percent of your dietary carbohydrates with non-soy protein produces better health benefits on blood lipids than supplementing with soy[194-197]. At the very least, soy products should play no role in any kind of weight-reducing diet.

References (click to expand)

About 18 months ago, i made a decision to fix up my diet and get back into shape. First up i got into Paleo and did a lot of reading up on it, of course i read a lot about milk. Now for me to remove Milk from my diet was a no a brainer whenever i consumed it hours later i would feel bloated, sick and in need to use the toilet.

During this time, my diet has improved mostly by simply eliminating junk food and my vegg intake has gone up slightly. I have also had 4-5 body scans and my bone density over the past 12 months has slightly increased over that time, and during that time i would of consumed less than a litre of milk. The GP doing my bodyscan told me testosterone is far more important for bone strength, hence why bone density issues are a far bigger problem in females than males. Yes calcium is important as well, but also the sources of calcium are important also. Milk is not the be all and end all it is marketed to be, but if you like drinking it go for it. Don't just drink it because you are told too.

Correct , Soy is a load of crap, it's poison.
Soy inhibits mineral absorption, raises oestrogen-lowers testosterone.
Bodybuilders avoid soy like they avoid the plague and have done so for decades for precisely this reason.

One of those occasions when bro-science is on the money.

About 18 months ago, i made a decision to fix up my diet and get back into shape. First up i got into Paleo and did a lot of reading up on it, of course i read a lot about milk. Now for me to remove Milk from my diet was a no a brainer whenever i consumed it hours later i would feel bloated, sick and in need to use the toilet.

During this time, my diet has improved mostly by simply eliminating junk food and my vegg intake has gone up slightly. I have also had 4-5 body scans and my bone density over the past 12 months has slightly increased over that time, and during that time i would of consumed less than a litre of milk. The GP doing my bodyscan told me testosterone is far more important for bone strength, hence why bone density issues are a far bigger problem in females than males. Yes calcium is important as well, but also the sources of calcium are important also. Milk is not the be all and end all it is marketed to be, but if you like drinking it go for it. Don't just drink it because you are told too.
Bingo, well said.

Bodybuilders avoid soy like they avoid the plague and have done so for decades for precisely this reason.

One of those occasions when bro-science is on the money.
The big question is: how much do you have to consume for it to have a significant effect?

The big question is: how much do you have to consume for it to have a significant effect?
Well, anymore than 10ml and you have taste issues for a start ;)

There is some literature that suggests it causes hormonal issues and hastens puberty in girls based on one glass per day.

If you've ever seen a grumpy hippy/hipster/Fitzroyalty, I'm guessing soy is an issue.

Well, anymore than 10ml and you have taste issues for a start ;)

There is some literature that suggests it causes hormonal issues and hastens puberty in girls based on one glass per day.
Is there literature that says it has no effect? Little effect? All effects are beneficial?

Is there literature that says it has no effect? Little effect? All effects are beneficial?
Can only tell you what I've read - personally I wouldn't touch the stuff for a number of reasons.

Top 10 Food Lies That Keep Us Sick and Fat, Part 2
by Mark Hyman, MD

Food Lie #8: Milk Is Nature’s Perfect Food

Milk is nature’s perfect food only if you are a calf!

For many people, dairy causes inflammation, allergies, congestion, postnasal drip, sinus problems, eczema, asthma, acne and irritable bowel. It also may increase the risk of bone fractures and osteoporosis, increase the risk of type 1 and type 2 diabetes and causes certain kinds of cancers.

And it also spikes insulin, causing us to grow belly fat.

No matter what messages you hear from the dairy lobby – there is nothing perfect about milk! To read more about the dangers of milk, read my blog “Got Proof.”

http://drhyman.com/blog/2014/04/01/top-10-food-lies-keep-us-sick-fat-part-2/#close

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will Minson from the Bulldogs was mixing his protein and recovery shakes with Soy Milk last year. He discontinued doing so because he starting growing man boobs. Now he uses full fat milk.

Will Minson from the Bulldogs was mixing his protein and recovery shakes with Soy Milk last year. He discontinued doing so because he starting growing man boobs. Now he uses full fat milk.
Wasn't it a little more than that? He was using some obscure brand of soy milk he was ordering in and it was doing something to him with similar effects to chronic fatigue syndrome? Or was that another story?

Either way, it sounds like he was drinking a *load of soy milk..

He was drinking Bonsoy and must have bought the batch with defectively high levels of iodine in it (national recall IIRC).
It was a really odd sickness he had, spent weeks getting tests and it was only when Zimma read an article in the paper he started asking questions about the brand of soy millk Will was drinking.

He was drinking Bonsoy and must have bought the batch with defectively high levels of iodine in it (national recall IIRC).
It was a really odd sickness he had, spent weeks getting tests and it was only when Zimma read an article in the paper he started asking questions about the brand of soy millk Will was drinking.

Doesn't matter which brand, all soy is poison.
Can't believe the team nutritionist allowed him to drink it, I'd sack'm!

while i think people should have the right to choose raw milk if they wish, the "alternative thinkers" who pop up, thinking every consensus is a plot by "the man", really need to get a grip.

All 30 US states where raw milk is allowed to be sold legally have testing and inspection programs for raw milk dairy farms. Despite this testing and inspection regime, outbreaks and recalls associated with certified raw milk dairy farms continue to occur on a regular basis.

A recent study done in Minnesota (raw milk can legally be sold in this state) by the Minnesota Department of Health estimated that up to 20,502 Minnesotans, or 17.3% of raw milk consumers, became ill with an enteric pathogen during the study period.

study:
http://www.bccdc.ca/NR/rdonlyres/62...1952BEF96/0/RawMilkOutbreakTable2000_2012.pdf

The only ones deeming it safe are the ones with vested interests in it.

you mean the entire scientific community? :confused:

nothing artificial is good for you

that's utterly absurd.

Michael J Fox has got Parkinson's disease from drinking too much diet Pepsi , aspartame effects your neural nervous system which effects your brain.

you didn't do much science at school did you?

interesting. It may have messed with his thyroid.

interesting. It may have messed with his thyroid.
That's exactly what happened - he's lucky he is a big boy, at his elevated levels it could have been fatal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back