Player Watch #7: Zane Duursma

Remove this Banner Ad

Needs a run on the ball - just 5 mins here and there. He did that as a junior. Is getting lost in the forward 50 where our entries are not to his advantage.

Has shown his leap, marking ability and strong kicking so all the talent is there. Its always tough to adjust to senior level when the bodies are so much more mature.

He'll be fine.

On a BMX somewhere…
On Mars hopefully.

Keep Zane in. He's a product of the one Key forward set up as much as Larkey is. If pink or Sellars plays the rest of the year BGZ will get a lot more freedom as the 3rd banana.

Not concerned long term at all there’s plenty of flashes to be excited about. Plus our dismal forward line. But I’m trying to work out if

1. He’s a little lazy and not working quite as hard as he could to work up to the ball

2. If he’s getting sucked up the ground in no man’s land and doesn’t have the afl level experience to realise he needs to either be at the contest or work back in position to be at the next contest.

3. He’s got that laconic Jared Brennan style that sometimes deceives people in thinking someone is disinterested or lazy.

4. Hoping his under running of the ball is just adjusting and not a fear of contact

Just needs the ball 15 times and good things will happen

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Georges first goal.

Who was the bloke that competed and bought the ball to ground.

BGZ.

the campaigner has played 8 games now in a team that gets 40 i50 ffs

Like the comment about getting him on ball, he’s actually a dirty campaigner and loves a hard ball too which for his “style” of player you don’t expect. Plenty to work with

Needs work on his set shot kicking for goal. Has missed a few this year now, although they aren't gonna make the difference in winning still should be taking the chances

Not concerned long term at all there’s plenty of flashes to be excited about. Plus our dismal forward line. But I’m trying to work out if

1. He’s a little lazy and not working quite as hard as he could to work up to the ball

2. If he’s getting sucked up the ground in no man’s land and doesn’t have the afl level experience to realise he needs to either be at the contest or work back in position to be at the next contest.

3. He’s got that laconic Jared Brennan style that sometimes deceives people in thinking someone is disinterested or lazy.

4. Hoping his under running of the ball is just adjusting and not a fear of contact

Just needs the ball 15 times and good things will happen
So you’ve said he is lazy, but that he is laconic so this deceives people into thinking he’s lazy?? What is your point?

So you’ve said he is lazy, but that he is laconic so this deceives people into thinking he’s lazy?? What is your point?
I never said he was lazy. I’m trying to figure him out is all I’m saying.
Trying to work out whether it’s an experience issue, tank, our HF line being hard to play in, or if he because he does have that smooth laconic style and that can come across that way sometimes

Never said I think he’s lazy. Was just putting thoughts down

Let’s be honest, he really hasn’t fired a shot yet. Taken 1 or 2 nice marks. That’s about it.
But you’d think, and hope, that the form and talent he showed at under 18 level will come to fruition at some stage over the next 2-3 years.

He’s not a gun now, and no guarantees he will be. But for all our mental health, he needs to become an A Grade footballer (at NMFC).

Needs a run on the ball - just 5 mins here and there. He did that as a junior. Is getting lost in the forward 50 where our entries are not to his advantage.

Has shown his leap, marking ability and strong kicking so all the talent is there. Its always tough to adjust to senior level when the bodies are so much more mature.

He'll be fine.
Marking ability has been limited as the timing of his leap is horrible. His kicking hasn’t impressed either. Some poor turnovers and set shot goal kicking.

Not making a call on him yet obviously but his type of player is a risk with pick 3. High risk, high reward.

Should be dropped as his output has been consistently poor throughout the season.

Let’s be honest, he really hasn’t fired a shot yet. Taken 1 or 2 nice marks. That’s about it.
But you’d think, and hope, that the form and talent he showed at under 18 level will come to fruition at some stage over the next 2-3 years.

He’s not a gun now, and no guarantees he will be. But for all our mental health, he needs to become an A Grade footballer (at NMFC).
His game last week was rated as the 19th best player in the Comp, also as of last week, for his age he is the 5th best rated 18 year old turning 19 this season, ahead of Mckercher.

Thought he was pretty good against Adelaide, and excellent against Freo.

Let's be honest, our forward line is a shambles, meaning he has to go right up to basically half back to get a kick. Not against a VFL spell just to get his hands on it and maybe kick a bag, but wouldn't be dropping him on any form concerns. Every AFL game he plays right now against senior defenders is only going to benefit him

Remove this Banner Ad

Back